I'm a little Grumpy....

ewizzy1977
ewizzy1977 Posts: 92
edited June 2011 in The Crudcatcher
Had a good weekend, but still feel like there is something missing in my life.....

I gave up smoking 15 days, 10 hrs, 24 mins and 40 seconds ago.....

Now, I know the benefits, I already smell better, a can cycle longer, faster and am enjoying all that, but I still feel like I want one, and sometimes it makes me grumpy with the whole family for a whole day... (today is one of those days)

Ive been smoking since I was 11 years old, and am now 33 so its about time I gave up.

Sorry for the rant, I am sure you'll all say MTFU, but I just wanted to tell people I dont know :)

Any other Ex smokers out there who can reassure me that this feeling wont last forever :?:

Please :lol:

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    my gf stopped when we had our baby, she was very snappy and horrible for a while but she doesn't want to smoke at all now,she even hates the smell of someone smoking around her. she did slip up once when she was drunk on her birthday but she was well pissed :lol:

so i guess it doesn't last forever mate, keep up the good work and put the money you would've spent on cigs into a pot so you can buy nice shiny new bike bits with it instead :D
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    I've never smoked a cigarette. When my friends were starting up in school I thought - it costs money, smells bad, does nothing for you - and went straight to smoking crack.
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    It gets better......hang in there mate. Think of all the bike bling you can buy with the money you save on fags!
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    I have never had a fag in my mouth thanks....I heard George Micheal has though
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • ewizzy1977
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It will last forever. Have fun.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,166
    Not gone thyough it myself but my old man went through hell trying to give up - which he did about 6 times. Like you say, MTFU and tough it out - things should get better soon. Probably stating the obvious but try not to get pissed when there are smokers around - seems that's the time when you're most likely to give in to temptation from what I've seen of people who are trying to quit.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • foxc_uk
    foxc_uk Posts: 1,292
    I was only ever a part time smoker, so when I gave up (2002) it was pretty easy. Still get the odd craving but I know I'd be sick as a dog if I had so much as one drag.

I'm in the process of giving up chocolate though, so I'm exceptionally grumpy at the moment.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    The first 6 weeks are the hardest, what I did in that period was take my daily saved cash and pysically buy something each day which said well done this is what you can afford through giving up. After a while the need to do that goes too.
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • ewizzy1977
    cooldad wrote:
    It will last forever. Have fun.

Crunt.................

:-P

Ive been buying stuff with the saved money.... mostly Bacon sarnies, Burger King, KFC.... :oops:
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    It gets easier mate, trust me, i gave up last year and the grump only last a few weeks and then you wont even think about it.......

it takes 3 weeks for any change to become normality, thats what they say anyway!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    ewizzy1977 wrote:
    I gave up smoking

And I used to think you were cool....

It does give you worm AIDS though, so fair enough.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Mental Mickey
    Mental Mickey Posts: 406
    Any other Ex smokers out there who can reassure me that this feeling wont last forever

On occasion, you might get the whiff of a ciggie into your nostrils from a passer by which might set off a craving, you may miss it when you have a pint or after a sunday dinner and/or sex.

But there will (or should) also be times when you smell that second hand smoke and think it smells disgusting, or you smell someone that reeks of stale smoke and it can make you feel repulsed.

Think of the fitness incentive, if someone had told me 10 to 15 years ago I'd be able to ride a mountain bike up and down steep terrain for up to 8 hours, or run an average of 10 to 12 miles each time I go jogging, I'd have thought they were mad but I do do it and hardly bat an eyelid.

Then think of the money, how much were you spending per year? Just think what you can do with that money instead.

You would be a fool to return to smoking if you have quit this far.
  • Gazlar
    ^ some valid points. I'm at the stage now ten years on from 30 a day, I've beaten it as an addiction and I can have A cigar or A smoke of the old pipe, and I enjoy it, I knot though I'll feel rough after it though, like binge drinking really, so I don't do it all the while, twice a year maybe. It also helps me reaffirm that I wouldn't want to do that all the time anymore
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Most of the time, ciggies no longer cross my mind, but I still get the odd rare day where I'm just stressed at work or something, and am seconds away from going to buy a pack of fags, but so far, I've managed to avoid it.
    What I've done is to leave some of those niccorette gum things in the glovebox in the car, so if I ever do feel close to running off to buy some fags, I'll have one of them instead, which will subdue the craving.
    So far, I've had to use them once.

But yeah, it does get easier over time, but I honestly don't know if it ever goes away completely.
    Kind of like an ex girlfriend. You spend most of your time wishing you'd never met her, but occasionally, years later, you'll hear a song or something that sets you off remembering the good times, or wandering what she's up to these days.
  • Gazlar

Kind of like an ex girlfriend. You spend most of your time wishing you'd never met her, but occasionally, years later, you'll hear a song or something that sets you off remembering the good times, or wondering whether anyone will ever find her body.

fixed
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Anonymous
    sssssh. Nobody's meant to know! :shock:
  • Gazlar
    Why? It's not as though it's ille......ohhhhhh :D
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    I like bikes and stuff
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i was an ex-smoker.....

but i started again :(

time to try again i guess.....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • road_donut
    road_donut Posts: 284
    cee wrote:
    i was an ex-smoker.....

but i started again :(

time to try again i guess.....

I also did this ....

But i managed to quit again for the second time .... The next time I start smoking I'm really going to try and stick at it .... I'm such a quitter :?
  • ewizzy1977
    Thanks for the encouragement, I now got past the grumpiness, and am now just hungry :lol: 8) :P :idea: :x
  • Anonymous
    ewizzy1977 wrote:
    Thanks for the encouragement, I now got past the grumpiness, and am now just hungry :lol: 8) :P :idea: :x
    Curiously, each time I've come off the fags, I eat far less than before.
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    ^^
    I go the opposite way, and eat more, but this only last a few weeks and then i am back on the healthy eating

detox starts today as well which i am not enjoying but my liver will be all the better for it!
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I have to pack in soon as we're expecting our first and I am not looking forward to it.

mind you it can't be as hard as coming off the drink so at least I know I can achieve it.

furthermore when I don't drink and don't smoke I'll be the second smuggest person in the world after piers morgan
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • ewizzy1977
    ewizzy1977 wrote:

I am a fat biffer though, and eat too much when I was smoking :lol:
  • ewizzy1977
    I am mostly just about to crack open a lovely real ale too..... Its been a hard stressful day of doing not a lot :-P
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    10 years without from 40-50 a day 8) IIRC it gets better after about a month.
    You could still smoke in pubs when I stopped but I still managed it.The one thing I noticed was how much my clothes stank after a night out. TBH haven't given them a second thought for years..
  • Anonymous
    ewizzy1977 wrote:
    ewizzy1977 wrote:

I am a fat biffer though, and eat too much when I was smoking :lol:
    I'm no lightweight myself :lol:
  • Mental Mickey
    Mental Mickey Posts: 406
    One thing I forgot to mention, I had a rude awakening ten years ago (ages 29) when I had my first ever erection problem, it was down to smoking.
    I now have the hard on of champions by comparison and some time after giving up, started to get the kind of erections I hadn't had since 18, super stiff, enough to poke your eye out with, I even got hard ons in public places again just like when I was at high school.

Just in case you think I'm making it all up. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/139801.stm