New Chainset.....what else do I need with it?

Sammyw23
Sammyw23 Posts: 627
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
Looking to replace the chainset on my winter bike which is about as stiff as jelly and the bottom bracket has gone anyway.

Looking at the 2010 Ultra Torque Veloce chainset and I know I would have to also purchase the ultra torque BB Cups but do I need to buy bearings as well? Is there anything else?

Cheers
Cervelo P3
Bianchi Infinito
Cannondale CAAD10

Comments

• Sammyw23
    Just to confirm the reason I am asking is that on the details for the chainset it says you need the ultra torque BB cups and on the BB Cup details it says "doesn't include bearings" so I can't work out whether I need to just purchase the chainset and cups or more..... :?
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • Sammyw23
    Also! Does anyone know if my Bianchi Via Nirone will require an english or italian BB Cup??

This is too confusing!!
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • I can't help with which thread you need, but the UT bearings are attached to the cranks. So you don't need anything other than cups and crankset (other than tools).
    Who you gonna believe? Me or your own eyes?
  • roadracedave
    roadracedave Posts: 107
    I've not used campag before, but by the looks of it, the Ultra Torque bottom bracket comes as two items, the cups and the bearings. So you will need to purchase each item separately.

The newer power torque bottom bracket looks as though it comes with the bearings included though, so it may be worth buying the newer style power torque veloce chainset, they are around the same price on wiggle, and extra cost you will save in not having to buy the bearing separately.

As far as your BB thread type, I am pretty sure it is British (BSC) thread, but it is worth checking your existing BB. It may have some writing on the cups, if it has 1.37in x 24tpi written on it, its British thread. If it has 36mm x 24 tpi its italian. If there is no writing you can measure the width of the BB shell, if its 68mm its british, 70mm its italian.
  • JRooke
    JRooke Posts: 243
    No you don't need to buy any extra bearings, the item will simply arrive as 2 cups which you plonk in each side of your bottom bracket and slide your crank tube through. As for size of BB its just a case of measuring, 68mm its english, 70 its italian.
  • Sammyw23
    I can't see anywhere on any of the online shops that confirms whether bearings are included in the chainset/cups? Only thing I have found so far is that the Ultra Cups do not have bearings included. Cheers for the advice so far!
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • JRooke
    Link us to where your getting these cups from, think your just reading between the lines, BB cups really are the most simple device in the world.
  • Sammyw23
    Sorted - just spoke to a bike shop who reconfirmed your post as above (sorry for doubting). Just need to confirm the BB size now before ordering both.

In answer to your question, under the description for the UT Cups on wiggle they make a point of stating "does not come with bearings":

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-ultr ... e-cup-set/
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    My 2nd bike has Veloce UT.

Bearings come with the crankset. Then you need the cups.

Then you're good to go.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • JRooke
    Yea i can see how thats miss leading, strange, must of had people moan about it in the past i guess
  • Sammyw23
    Ultra Torque chainset and cups on their way!
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • Sammyw23
    p.s. after much research online I have taken a punt on the BB being english thread. There is load of chat on forums saying that all bianchi's nowadays have this. I hope they are right!
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Sammyw23 wrote:
    p.s. after much research online I have taken a punt on the BB being english thread. There is load of chat on forums saying that all bianchi's nowadays have this. I hope they are right!

I am pretty sure your Bianchi will be English threaded. I could be wrong, but I think MOST frames nowadays are English threaded.

Enjoy building it up!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/