Cycling plus nonsense

inseine
inseine Posts: 5,786
Just read the 'Get faster at lunchtime article'. Apparently aerobic threshold is around 65% of max and after 5 mins of warmup you increase your heart rate from 40 to 80%. Clearly my heart beats like a frightened rabbit cos i'm at 40% putting my shoes on and 65% I'm barely out of the driveway. You should also do 4 sets of 3 mins at 90 to 100% which seems equally unlikely. I should have been prepared having just read in the same addition that on a fixie you'll be pedaling at well over 200 rpm on the decents :?

Comments

• furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    Aerobic threshold by the literature I read is a lot higher, and ties in with threshold/VO2max. Wikipedia [which admits it has no physiological definition] has aerobic threshold down as 65%, so perhaps its just lazy journalism on CyclingPlus part as I've never seen it defined as 2 mmol/litre within heart rate training literature.

65% out of the drive is quite high, but I guess it's all relative. I walk over to my garage about 100 yards away and set off about <45% MHR. My commute is 7 miles, and I tend to average about 63% pootling at 15.5mph which I'd say is also early warm-up pace.

There's nothing unrealistic about 3 minutes between the VO2max and Anaerobic heart rate zones. In November Looking at a 90 minute training ride with Jibberjim and Tarmacexpert in November, I spent all the time drafting and did 17 minutes between 87-91%, 26 minutes between 92-95%, and 1:20 above 96% MHR. The crazy thing is, they were probably dipping in and out of 100-110% FTP while on the front!

If you're starting intervals from 80% MHR, it shouldn't take you long to get up to 90%. 96% or higher would be overkill in my opinion, and would hamper the later intervals. If I were to do them as part of a time-constrained lunch time blast, I'd do 3x 4 minutes at 90-94% MHR I think. I guess it all depends what you wish to achieve though.

I've not read the article, but if you had a 48x16 fixie with 700c wheels, spinning at 200rpm, you'd be doing 47mph. Again, not unthinkable.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    If anyone thinks the training section of cycling plus is anything more than an EPIC MAMIL troll then they're mental.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I think that I was mental but this has cured me!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I only look at the pictures in Cycling Plus. The articles and reviews are usually crap that do little more than perpetuate the myths and folklore in cycling.
    More problems but still living....
  • ballspondroad
    ballspondroad Posts: 181
    Page 91