Commuting........What do you eat just before you set off ?

adebikes
adebikes Posts: 10
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
I was wondering what people eat before they set off totally regardless of how far they cycle?

(newbie here) (been cycling since the stabilisers came off....on and off over the years)
( must also join the chunky club)(what used to be a 2 hr ride will now probably take me 4hrs..turbo trainer in the garage should sort it out!!....now that ive removed the knobbly tyres for slicks.....rather quieter now! )

thanks all
adrian

Comments

• optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    the question has been asked before...

personally - a bowl of porridge or some toast in the winter, a banana or two in the summer, about 20 - 30min before my 15mile commute.

Some reckon that 15miles isnt far enough to need food... but it works for me and then I have a snack at work. Then a banana 20min before the ride home...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Toast before my 5 mile commute.

Sometimes a banana and a nutri-grain bar or similar if I'm feeling lazy.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    A banana for a 20 miler.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Welcome.
    Porridge and/or bananas is the answer you will get from many. Some others will say protein shakes. Some will say they don't need anything until they get to work.

Personally, I have porridge and/or fruit before I leave home and often a fry-up or more porridge when I get to work.
    You may find it wise to eat something a bit before you set off for home too.
    Don't forget to hydrate.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    cup of tea only, but take two weetabix with me to have at work. 7 mile commute.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    12 miles and I've found it's easier to just have a coffee and a couple of biscuits. I find I have no appetite first thing so I just make sure I've had something to drink.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    cereal, then a toasted teacake and a coffee when I get there
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Coffee, Toast.. 7 miles then bowl of cereal, beacon or sausage sandwich and a banana at 10am
  • gareth1234
    gareth1234 Posts: 107
    Coffee, rich tea bikkies and a cigarette
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Cup of coffee. Only an 8 mile commute, akin to walking a mile so hardly requires a feast beforehand!
    Still breathing.....
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    hambones wrote:
    Cup of coffee. Only an 8 mile commute, akin to walking a mile so hardly requires a feast beforehand!
    trust me, my 15mile commute is a lot more effort than a 2 mile walk!
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    6.7 mile commute, I jaust have a bowl of cereals, glass of fruit juice and a cup of tea, on arrival I have a cup of tea and about 1/2 hour later a small snack.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • adebikes
    so..poridge/bananas/ coffee sounds good,and even the good old british rich tea biscuit..(a basic small amount of get you going food..or should i say keep you going food) usually have porridge in the kitchen cupboard anyhow!!
    Thanks for the responses peeps, i did wonder if this question had been asked before,Need to look deeper into the forum and see what else i can find.
    thanks again
    adrian
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Mullar Rice
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    Normally just coffee and a MTFU sandwich, seriously you've just slept half the night and your liver's full, as as your muscles are. You won't metabolise your beakfast for 30-45mins anyway. If it makes you feel better then fine but it's akin to carrying a full water bottle on a 10 mile TT.
    All said and done, if your commute is through heavy traffic a water bottle's good for getting the traffic taste out of your mouth.
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • adebikes
    mullar rice sounds good too,,yummy!!,can you get a mullar rice holder for the handlebars?
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Nothing. I commute 6 miles, no real need for food before leaving. I eat toast when I arrive at work....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • 1@ATIME
    1@ATIME Posts: 89
    +1 Headhunter I only commute 7 miles - muesli when I get to work
    Ribble Stealth
    previous: Kiron Scandium, 80's Raleigh Equipe, Striker :)
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Nowt. I do have a quick brew though.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I don't make a point of eating anything before a ride. Definitely not for my commutes, and generally not for a ride up to 40-50 miles. If I think it's going to be longer, I might have something in advance.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    The only acceptable choices are crumpet or muffin.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    nowt as others, eat when I get in
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    No idea how people can survive the morning without food till they get in work - even if you don't cycle.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    No idea how people can survive the morning without food till they get in work - even if you don't cycle.

I think it depends on what you're used to... I didn't used to eat breakfast at all (back in the days before I cycled much) but thought I should have something so started to make myself have breakfast. Nowadays I couldn't conceive of not having 4+ slices of toast in the morning but my body doesn't expect it til I actually arrive at work, I just don't feel hungry before leaving. I also don't eat until arriving at work when I run the commute (6 and a bit miles), just don't feel I need it...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • gentlegreen
    gentlegreen Posts: 23
    Nothing for my 4 mile commute - I leave at 7.30 and definitely not up for eating early enough for it to make any difference. I eat at 9am at work when I've washed and changed.

My homeward commute is significantly faster, but I'm not about to start swallowing food purely for fuel at 6am and thereby spoil my 9am toast and tea.

For my weekend 50-milers I have a substantial chunk of home made wholemeal toast with coffe at 8, for a 9.00 start.
    Giant ATX 830 45mm Country-Plus tyres. age 50, 18 stone, flappy hi-vis, basket, bell, kickstand FCN=15 ?,
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I normally have a banana or a small bowl of cereal before my morning commute, nothing too filling.

But it's on the way home that I quite often feel 'empty' (not lungs bursting, not tired legs, just like there's no fuel in the tank) despite eating loads during the day, having a banana before I leave and having 'emergency' stuff (sweets, cereal bars, bananas) to nibble on during the ride home. It's annoying and I need to sort it out. :?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    I eat always the same brekfast irrespective on whether I ride or run or swim or anything.

Either fruit, cereal and milk, ygurt, and cofeee; or long decaf, bread and jam, yogurt, fruit, and coffee.

Sometimes I swim before breakfast. And have breakfast just after, then ride to work. The alternative would be to swim on a full stomach, no good for me.

I used to run before brekfast (before Achilles got damaged, now better avoid mornings) on empty stomach, as far as nearly 3hr.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    12 miles or there abouts, a drink of water or something before I leave but I can't stomach anything first thing, will eat something random when I get to work, whatever I feel like.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i dont eat specifically for my commute......

just as part of my normal morning waking up routine...

up...brush teeth...wash....breakfast.....leave...

usually cereal...porridge in winter...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    bails87 wrote:
    I normally have a banana or a small bowl of cereal before my morning commute, nothing too filling.

But it's on the way home that I quite often feel 'empty' (not lungs bursting, not tired legs, just like there's no fuel in the tank) despite eating loads during the day, having a banana before I leave and having 'emergency' stuff (sweets, cereal bars, bananas) to nibble on during the ride home. It's annoying and I need to sort it out. :?

I take a banana or a cereal bar in and eat it about 45 minutes before I leave specifically because I had this problem.