the up's and down's of shaving your legs...

TKing
TKing Posts: 43
edited June 2011 in The bottom bracket
Guys,

Its bad. Basically, started shaving my legs about 4-5 weeks ago. I thought my legs would be and look as smooth as all those pro's riding on tv... However, I am getting pretty bad shaving rash, loads of bumps and stuff! I just dont know what I'm doing wrong? I wet my legs, in the shower or bath, wack on the shaving cream, get my razor and shave from the ankle up to the knees. My legs just start bleeding though! I do put moisturiser on after, but it doesnt really do much because my legs are bleeding already!? Any tips or hints guys? Do the pro's wax rather than shave? :?:

Cheers...

Comments

• Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    If your legs bleed when you shave, you are either using a poor quality razor or you are incapable of using a razor properly. So the solution is, either buy decent razors that are sharp/strong/straight enough to shave you without cutting your legs, or learn to shave properly.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Cut it short with clippers first, then wet shave. Don't nick any arteries... :wink:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    You say your shaving from the ankles up.
    That could be the problem.Try shaving towards the ankles, you won't be pulling the follicles that way.
    Graham.

Never thought I'd be giving beauty advise on a public forum! :D
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I don't shave my legs, but general shaving advice is to use a sharp razor, warm and wet hair is easier to shave, shave in the direction the hair grows (so on your legs shave towards your ankles) and moisturies afterwards.

Single bladed razors are less likely to produce ingrowing hairs too I've been told.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Just use veet if you can't get on with a razor.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    Just out of interest do you have issues when shaving your face?

I have massive issue with the face, razor burn, ingrown, psoriasis-like-rashes and about 100 nicks every shave! Used all the different creams, gels, oils, soaps and razors under the sun but never really had a good shave. Legs on the other hand I can use any old razor and shave away no problems - even without water or any creams/gels, odd difference
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    Use a good razor, use hot water to soften the hairs up a bit, shaving foam. All mentioned above, but doesn't seem to work for you. Allthough my upper body is quite hairy my legs, oddly, are pretty sparse in in the hair department. do you have very thick, wirey hairs on your legs? I do sometimes get a bit of a shaving rash on the insides of my upper thighs (very sexy) if I wear a pair of jeans right after shaving, but if I leave my legs out in the air for a while it's generally ok. The thigngs we men have to go through!
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    Yea would use a lady's razor as they are designed to shave legs.

Also it is much easier to do it in the bath rather then in the shower.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    TKing wrote:
    Guys,

Its bad. Basically, started shaving my legs about 4-5 weeks ago. I thought my legs would be and look as smooth as all those pro's riding on tv... However, I am getting pretty bad shaving rash, loads of bumps and stuff! I just dont know what I'm doing wrong? I wet my legs, in the shower or bath, wack on the shaving cream, get my razor and shave from the ankle up to the knees. My legs just start bleeding though! I do put moisturiser on after, but it doesnt really do much because my legs are bleeding already!? Any tips or hints guys? Do the pro's wax rather than shave? :?:

Cheers...

Could I just suggest you don't try shaving your bollox.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • TKing
    Ollieda wrote:
    Just out of interest do you have issues when shaving your face?

I have massive issue with the face, razor burn, ingrown, psoriasis-like-rashes and about 100 nicks every shave! Used all the different creams, gels, oils, soaps and razors under the sun but never really had a good shave. Legs on the other hand I can use any old razor and shave away no problems - even without water or any creams/gels, odd difference

No I can shave my face as smooth as a babies bottom... it doesnt add up!?
  • TKing
    neilo23 wrote:
    Use a good razor, use hot water to soften the hairs up a bit, shaving foam. All mentioned above, but doesn't seem to work for you. Allthough my upper body is quite hairy my legs, oddly, are pretty sparse in in the hair department. do you have very thick, wirey hairs on your legs? I do sometimes get a bit of a shaving rash on the insides of my upper thighs (very sexy) if I wear a pair of jeans right after shaving, but if I leave my legs out in the air for a while it's generally ok. The thigngs we men have to go through!

my legs are EXTREMELY hairy, is this the problem? f*ck waxing though, if it hurts as much as people say it does... not that im a big wimp or anything :lol:
  • forcutty
    forcutty Posts: 1,055
    I have a Philips bodygroom and can't fault it :oops:
    The gf shaves my back with it too. she hates it hairy
  • TKing
    forcutty wrote:

does it work on your chest? :lol:
  • forcutty
    forcutty Posts: 1,055
    TKing wrote:
    forcutty wrote:

does it work on your chest? :lol:
    :shock:
    Yes you can adjust the height of cut :wink:
  • Sirrus_Lee
    Sirrus_Lee Posts: 17
    Point of note, water should be warm, not hot when shaving, otherwise your skin dries out.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    why do "womens" razor have great big handles and cost double the price of a mans razor? what exactly are they trying to say about women- you're not capable of using a normal razor??what a rip off- its ok tho' cos we've made them in pastel colours :roll:
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    mattshrops wrote:
    why do "womens" razor have great big handles and cost double the price of a mans razor? what exactly are they trying to say about women- you're not capable of using a normal razor??what a rip off- its ok tho' cos we've made them in pastel colours :roll:

They double up in the bath. :wink:

Barbara.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Simple don't shave.

First year for many I haven't bothered and now wonder why I did.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    I did mine again recently with the decent weather arriving.
    Started off with clippers and Veet which was great to start with.
    Used that because I had memories of cutting my legs before. I found that with the Veet, I couldn't let the hairs grow too long again or it didn't work as well.

So went with my wife's razors and cut my leg a wee bit so just used my good Gillette Fusion blades and they've been better.

I tend to shave upwards....which I wouldn't do with my face :?

Also get a bit of a rash on the inner thigh which isn't nice.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,233
    RC856 wrote:

That's probably not your shaving....
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 227
    Veet - But i have a decent bit of growth for it be properly effective, about 3 weeks worth normally does the trick.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    RC856 wrote:

That's probably not your shaving....

:? er...it is, honest!! :lol:
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    A thought just crossed my mind when I was out melting in the sun. Have you thought about trying shaving products for black men (assuming you're white)? Black guys often have trouble with ingrown hairs on their faces and other related shaving problems. Maybe these products are formulated differently to better cope with troublesome shaving.

I should really have better things to think about on a lovely day like today :-)
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Aggieboy wrote:
    TKing wrote:
    Guys,

Cheers...

Could I just suggest you don't try shaving your bollox.

Yeah but that's just like shaving your face, surely?

CBA to explain the obvious hunnies.

Too chilled out in this B&B.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • Graculus
    Graculus Posts: 107
    Read in today's paper that using 'a soothing aloe vera gel' can help (whatever that is :? )