My Giant Reign X

ScottieR3
ScottieR3 Posts: 207
edited June 2011 in Your mountain bikes
Just built my new freeride all mountain beast up.

Feels awesome, goin out with the lads tonight for a blast around some local woods.

Spec is:

Giant Reign X 2009 - fox dhx with pro pedal
6.7" of bottomless travel :-)

Rockshox Revelations 130mm dual air's

Mavic d521's on Hope Pro II's

Sunline freeride stem

Hope tech x2 brakes

Soon to have New SLX double chainset with bash, some low rise bars, and a dropper post.

Thoughts welcome. Will post up how it rides later.
RR/Cross/Commuter: kinesis pro6
Mtb: On One 456

Comments

• ScottieR3
    Dont know whats wrong with the links but heres the album link.

https://picasaweb.google.com/101885767514896196539/MyGiantReignX?feat=directlink

Also just weighed it at 31.0lbs.

Pretty pleased with that tbh
  • pat mcgucken
    pat mcgucken Posts: 126
    I'll be interested to know how that rides mate. Is it a 1.5 headtube?
  • ScottieR3
    Nah mate just normal 1.1/8th.

Will let u know how it rolls.
  • ScottieR3
    It's a total dream to ride, so smooth, irons out the slightest of bumps & takes drop off's superb.

Now changed the chainset to SLX double & Bash. Weighed again without saddle bag & garmin, 30.5lbs.

just need a day off now to get it up Cannock and see how it handle the Black runs and stile cop.

Album updated with pics.

IMG_00066.jpg
    IMG_00067.jpg
    IMG_00062.jpg
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Nice bike. Reign X works surprisingly well for both XC & DH. I have a mate who rides super fast XC on his and uses it for the Megavalanche as well. Last weekend Steve Geall (olden days mtb legend) won a local DH race on his Reign X, much faster than even the fast boys on DH race bikes.
    I would be wanting a longer fork than you have fitted though, maybe a Rockshox Lyrik 160mm or a Fox Van 160/170mm
  • ScottieR3
    Yeah your right, I need to change the tyres to something more allround tbh, the nic's are 2.4 and a bit over kill for what i ride.

The Forks wasn't exactly what i was after but at the time they were at a good price and enough travel for now. Fox's or lyrics are on my list, just awaiting the bank balance to recover a bit 1st.

Cheers
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    2.4's should be spot on for harder riding. Maxxis Highrollers might be better than Nobby Nic's. Are you planning on doing any DH riding on it?
  • BoardinBob
    BoardinBob Posts: 697
    ScottieR3 wrote:

The Forks wasn't exactly what i was after but at the time they were at a good price and enough travel for now. Fox's or lyrics are on my list, just awaiting the bank balance to recover a bit 1st.

Losing 30mm travel off the front end is going to steepen the geometry by at least a degree.

Just ordered a 2010 Reign X2 from Pauls Cycles. Arrives tomorrow 8)
  • ScottieR3
    seriously this bike is amazing!!!! I can't stop taking it out and hitting drop off's.

Did some street the other night and it just loves step jumps.

Itching now to get it up Cannock and wyre forest to see what its really like off road.