what hobbies have you got?

motopatter
motopatter Posts: 179
edited September 2014 in Commuting chat
I ride motorcycle trials, but I'm looking for something else maybe as it's only possible because of family to get out once a month at best. I also have guitars and bass but I'm not any good :oops:

what do you do when you're not on the saddle
wave your willy here !!!! :)

Comments

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Kind people put me back in the cupboard until next time
  • I silversmith a bit. Started off threading beads - that lasted for about a day and then I found I could burn and hit sh1t and make lovely things to wear - great stress reliever and you need NO talent (trust me, I have none!)

We are in GCSE season so I have recently been making muffins for the superchild
  • Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    I read a lot and try to play the guitar. Try as in it sits on its stand in the corner mocking me and to punish it for mocking me I let it sit on its stand...
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    First-person shooters. Mostly Team Fortress 2 at the moment.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    I like to comment on forum threads where I don't have much to add...
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    I spend much of my free time playing cars with my three year old son

I also play guitar and listen to music a fair bit
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    .........umm, in no particular order

Guitar (accoustic blues and dobro) more enthusiasm than talent.

Woodwork (furniture)

Motorcycles (Custom chrome tanked Zephyr, virago, bonnie)

Minis (proper ones. Chop screened open top speedster shell under construction)

Seven year old daughter

Making wines and spirits

Gardening
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Cooking.

You have to spend time doing it anyway, so it's a real bargain that the time feels like fun rather than a chore. (Just like bike commuting in fact!)

It's so simple to take a little bit of extra care or imagination with food and make something much nicer than bog standard - and I don't mean pretending you're a michelin chef either.....
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    I go sailing. An enjoyable and excellent way to waste time and money.

May be you need another bike? :D
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • richred_uk
    richred_uk Posts: 167
    I wargame (well, mostly I paint the figures with the intention of one day wargaming with them when I have time).

And I study for my CIMA exams, and promise to find time to read the books I keep buying and listen to more music.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Riding naked past speed cameras
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Took up archery at the end of last year.

Join a club with all sorts of "different" people, endless bits of expensive kit to buy, top of the range stuff made of carbon fibre, spend ages fettling.

Dunno what the attraction was...

There's a future for you in the fire escape trade...
  • Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    [quote="SimonAHMinis (proper ones. Chop screened open top speedster shell under construction)

[/quote]

Ahh, Minis. Sold my 1998 Cooper S Brooklands last year 'cos I hardly drive anymore. Stil lust after a ZCars conversion done to a Sprint shell, steel or fibreglass. Just don't have the time, place or cash for it. Someday though. Lob in a supercharged Volvo engine and then go and piss off yobbos in VW Golf GTi's. Kinda like commuting in a big city :D

Edit: are they shitting me? Can't even use p!ss off?
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    Running.
    Swimming.
    Cooking (I'm the best chef in the world, but please don't tell my wife otherwise she says it's her and I'm no. 2 and we argue again).
    Gardening.
  • used to do a bit of rallying but its too expensive so just race autocross with my modified astra :D

i also play in goal for 2 ice hockey teams (when im not injured) now getting to old for it, body is always in pain now :cry:

all i know is all my hobbies are very expensive
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I wouldn't call it hobby due to the pain but Triathlon training at the moment :lol:

Swimming
    Running
    Photography
    Mountain biking
    Wiggle
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    I paintball, fettle cars, and do a lot of off-road motorsport support (setting up for the British Cross Country Championship and occasional Hill Rallies). I used to compete but it just sucked up too much time and money!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    Trying to learn how to sail my international canoe, hiking, photography. I also really like taking things apart and putting them back together again.....

w
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Just getting into remote control stuff. I've got one plane, I've got a half-built one to finish and thinking about getting a car.

I forsee lots of expense due to new tools and toys. Most of the nuts and bolts on the planes are TINY!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 358
    motorcycles and Triathlon training.

I mechanic for a motorcycle race team in my spare time and spend many hours a week runing, swimming or cycling round the norfolk countryside trying to get myself quick enough to not embarrass myself!
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    I stalk people I have met via internet forums.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Yes you.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Just getting into remote control stuff. I've got one plane, I've got a half-built one to finish and thinking about getting a car.

I forsee lots of expense due to new tools and toys. Most of the nuts and bolts on the planes are TINY!

I used to do that. Had remote control planes of varoius sizes from 12" (Like this) to approx 44". One that I remember was a WOT4. Also messed around with control line.

Had a few electric R/C cars and a boat as well.
  • Remote control helicopters, now thats an expensive hobby.

Full marks for the shear brilliance of watching them defy gravity through pure act of defiance.

Zero marks for the feeling you get in the pit of your stomach when you know you have lost control and all the complicated stuff in the rotor head gets mangled in a millisecond. There is a lot of energy stored in an 18 inch rotor.

Sadly no longer an active hobby, my rate of learning wasn't fast enough to make it financially viable.

Sticking to bikes and family for now.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Remote control helicopters, now thats an expensive hobby.

Full marks for the shear brilliance of watching them defy gravity through pure act of defiance.

Zero marks for the feeling you get in the pit of your stomach when you know you have lost control and all the complicated stuff in the rotor head gets mangled in a millisecond. There is a lot of energy stored in an 18 inch rotor.

Sadly no longer an active hobby, my rate of learning wasn't fast enough to make it financially viable.

Sticking to bikes and family for now.

I always fancied having a go at that. I wanted to mount a camera on one for aerial photography.

But I know what you mean, I worked out all the kit to lift a decent camera was well over £1200. Wasn't worth the risk.

I did get one of those simulators where you plug a controller in to the USB on your PC. That was as far as I got. Was fun though.
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    I do a lot of filming for audio visual performances and sometimes vj for bands..
    Currently making an experimental show about natural and manmade ecosytems.

I also keep a wordpress blog about archive footage and one about the development of my garden
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Hunting down odd beers and sampling them. Perfecting my spaghetti bolognese. And reading PG Wodehouse novels.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Cycling is my hobby, it is the only escape i have from SWMBO and a precocious 4 year old :shock:
    FCN 3/5/9
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    edited May 2011
    gardening

cooking

cider drinking

flying rc planes

fishing (sea & fresh) also just bought my self a cast net, mucho mullet for me

being outdoors..ray mears stylee
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    MTBing and photography is my hobbies.

two don't go well together and don't do either that often.