Riding in Fort Bill on WC weekend

joshtp
joshtp Posts: 3,966
edited May 2011 in MTB general
So, heading up to Fort William for the WC this weekend and I cant wait! :D tis gonna be awesome...!

Hoping to stick around for a few days to ride the Red after it reopens on Monday... the question is what's worth riding/not riding in fort bill over the weekend? (bearing in mind the red and black DH's are closed) Is The World Champs/Witches trail any good? Or should I be looking somewhere else for my thrills... Dont want anything too epic, this is just for sat/sun morning fun before the racing starts proper!

recommendations?
I like bikes and stuff

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The Witches Trails are decent... Pretty hard work, you seem to do a lot of climbing for the amount of descending but it's good riding. The 10 Under The Ben route that they have waymarked is pish, on the other hand but the very first bit that runs out of the nevis range car park down to the auction mart is nice, and out at the western end of the Witches Trails you can work in the section Nessie from 10UTB as well, it's quality.

One of the mags- probably WMB- did a good feature on riding around fort william, the august before last. They had a really nice route that involved riding out along the end of the west highland way up Glen Nevis, then back along general wade's road and around cow hill- it's not amazing stuff but pretty pleasant, we did it as a day-off ride between hurling ourselves down the mountain.

If you're doing the red and enjoying it/not finding it deadly, take a look at the WC route as well- it's not as horrific as you might imagine ;) Though I've not ridden the revised bottom end yet, you never know, it might be lethal to normal people. It's bastard hard work, kicked the hell out of me physically but skills wise it's not so much harder than the red.

I should be there on the tuesday after the world cup to do the nevis red and wc route, get a bit of practice in before the race in july... You still going to be around then?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Unfortunately will probably be heading home on Tuesday... Dad will need to get back to work... And if the weather is horrific may go on Monday... but hopefully it'll be sunny and we'll stick around for a bit of uplift action...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    joshtp wrote:
    Unfortunately will probably be heading home on Tuesday... Dad will need to get back to work... And if the weather is horrific may go on Monday... but hopefully it'll be sunny and we'll stick around for a bit of upkilt action...

FTFY
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg