How much water do you take on

ljs1977
ljs1977 Posts: 247
edited June 2011 in MTB general
Went for a fast blast round Sherwood Pines today.

Now - its not hard and I am not a fit as I would like, it was fairly warm.

I got back to the car and had drank my full 1.5l back pack.

if this normal or just my level of fitness.? Should I be hydrating all day prior? What size pack would you carry for such an occasion?

Cheers

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    On a very hot day you can sweat out 750ml per hour, so what you have taken sounds about right. Isotonic drinks are absorbed as fast as plain water, but add electrolytes and simple carbs too.
  • keith1200rs
    keith1200rs Posts: 97
    I carry 1l for every hour in summer, a bit more if it is very hot. I tend to drink less than 1l in the first hour then it's steady at 1l/hr.

Keith
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    How well hydrated were you when you set off? How much had you drunk the day before?
    This effects me almost as much as the heat does.

On very hot days, I can usually make it through a 5hr ride on a full 3l pack + 500ml of electrolyte stuff if I start the ride already well hydrated and make sure I keep drinking lots through the rest of the day after I get back.
  • FSR Si
    FSR Si Posts: 147
    500ml bottle of water in a 3.5hr ride :D
    My Rides......91 GT Talera SingleSpeed, 97 Klein pulse race, 2010 Boardman HT Pro
  • toastedone
    toastedone Posts: 838
    I have just filled my 3lt hydro pack for a day at Coed Llandegla should be plenty for me
  • supersonic wrote:
    On a very hot day you can sweat out 750ml per hour, so what you have taken sounds about right. Isotonic drinks are absorbed as fast as plain water, but add electrolytes and simple carbs too.

Not true :wink:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12572817
  • keith1200rs
    keith1200rs Posts: 97
    I can only drink my 1l/hr if it has electrolytes in it.

Keith
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Depends how hard it's raining.
  • Razor1548
    Razor1548 Posts: 53
    I need lots. I will get through the bike bottle in an hour easily. I usually have a 2 litre bottle in my backpack for top ups.

My problem is I rather like the taste of beer.... so I drink beer all night... and then water all day to compensate (usually 1.5 liters before I even get up).

And yet... I am still thirsty most of the time and feel like I have sand in my mouth come the morning! :-/
  • Rick_huggins
    Rick_huggins Posts: 184
    500ml of carb drink, 500ml of hydro before then make up a 3l solution of carb if out all day; better to have too much water with you than not enough
    Rockin': Specialized Rockhopper 2008
    Rollin': Orange 5 Custom
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=17023937#17023937

Previous:
    Specialized Enduro Expert 2004
    Boardman HT Pro 2010
    Kona Stuff
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I usually don't need more than a couple of litres, even on an all dayer, unless it's REALLY warm.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    supersonic wrote:

Not true :wink:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12572817

So where do hypertonic and isotonic crossover?! ;-)

I thought isotonic was roughly the same uptake as plain water, or slightly faster depending on the concentration of the solutes.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    i don't find i need much even on a 7 hour ride, but the less i drink during, the worse i feel on that night in terms of a headache and sleep problems.
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    is it worth changing from just having water in my reservoir to a self made isotonic drink then? bit of orange squash, bit of salt and water. I'm usut thinking about cleaning the damn thing tbh.
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    I usually carry a 2L hydration bladder which I fill to about 1.5 - 1.75L, this will do for up to a 15 mile ride and sometimes I don't finish it. On a hot day as a precaution I'll also carry a 750ml bottle on the frame too. There's nothing worse than running out of liquid on a ride.
    I tend to mix isotonic drink with water, so 50/50. I also tend to tank up before the ride, so take in anywhere from 500ml to 1L of water
  • I usually carry a 3L hydo pack when i go for a whole day of cycling. The trick is to sip little and often. Putting some ice cubes in the bladder also keeps the water cooler for longer. Def helps on a very hot day.

I agree with Raymondavalon that you should tank up before you ride. You might initially feel a bit bloated but once you get over that feeling you will be fine.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Went for a ride yesterday and took 1.5 L I went a lot further than I originally planned, had no water for the last 10 miles against a strong headwind. I was absolutely flucked and could barely stand by the time I got back then spent the next 2 hours drinking like a camel till I managed to piss. Even though I drank plenty before I set out the strong wind just dryed my mouth up. Still feel a bit knackered.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've been really struggling to replace enough fluids over the last few days. Been drinking epic amounts of ribena, some of it with a slight pinch of salt.
    Hmm. Not sure what's going on.
  • PXR5
    PXR5 Posts: 203
    Its a bit of a horses for courses question as it will also depend on how fit you are and how hard you are working...

In winter time here 750ml will last me for a 2hr/30km cycle with my mates, in summer over the same route i'll have a 2 litre camelpack full plus a bottle on the bike and this may still not be enough, i probably need at least 1 litre per 10km - having said that one of my mates will probably only drink about 500 ml over teh same 30 km.

Tha advice i was given here was to drink little and often, if you leave it hours or until youre feeling parched its too late, and even drinking loads will not help at that point - you'll need a few hours rest to recover...
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....
  • eztiger
    eztiger Posts: 5
    When hitting the tracks in Singapore (yes there are some) I used to drink 3L in an hour and still get dehydrated. I guess that what happens in 35c heat and 100% humidity. In the UK its about 0.5L per hour, even less in winter.
  • paul20v
    paul20v Posts: 267
    I drink as much as i can carry
    around 1.5l an hour :D
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    About 1 liter+ per hour, i sweat like a barstuard,i have 3 liter camalbak that when its full its a mission to fit much else in.
    I can rememner sweat dripping of me last winter, when it was minus what ever on night rides.
  • I've been really struggling to replace enough fluids over the last few days. Been drinking epic amounts of ribena, some of it with a slight pinch of salt.
    Hmm. Not sure what's going on.

Try Nuun tablets or Elete with the Ribena - it helps you absorb the water.

Keith
  • Anonymous
    Haha, I'm something of a nuun evangelist normally, but I've run out :lol:
    Pint of water, and a nuun tablet and I'd be fine.
  • Elete is cheaper, although I can use a bit less Nuun than recommended but find I need more Elete than on the bottle so it is not really a quarter of the price overall. Nuun (tri-berry) and Ribena tastes nicer. Tried making my own but it usually ends up tasting like seawater. You need some Sodium Bicarb and Potassium Chloride helps as well but it still tastes foul.

Keith
  • stubs
    I used to use NUUN but now trying out ZERO lemon and lime tablets. Seem to be exactly the same as NUUN and costs the same for a tube but you get 20 tablets not 12.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    usually for me, it's abut 2 Ltrs for a 5 - 6 hour ride..

Although If i'm racing or really going for it, it's about 1 Litre an hour..
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Anonymous
    stubs wrote:
    I used to use NUUN but now trying out ZERO lemon and lime tablets. Seem to be exactly the same as NUUN and costs the same for a tube but you get 20 tablets not 12.
    I nearly got suckered by that too. The downside is you need TWO per 500ml, whereas Nuun is 1 per 500ml.
  • stubs
    stubs wrote:
    I nearly got suckered by that too. The downside is you need TWO per 500ml, whereas Nuun is 1 per 500ml.

Just checked the tube and its definitely one tablet per 500ml same as NUUN
  • Anonymous
    Ooh, curious. I got some free samples at a demo day, and they were definitely two per 500ml. They must have changed the formula.

I'll stick with Nuun over them though. i prefer the taste, and it really seems to work. After a ride to work, I only need a pint with a single tablet, and I'm fine, whereas without them, I find I'm drinking all day and still not feeling right.