Anyone signed up for this years SkyRides?

optimisticbiker
optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Just signed myself and some friends up for the London on on Sept 4 and the Hillingdon one on July 31. Bit of a pootle really, not a serious ride, but hoping my friends will come along and make a day of it, maybe bring a picnic or something...
Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:

Comments

• MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Dunno if I will this year. I did go along last year on the basis that it's a good thing to get behind high-profile pro-cycling events, but I did spend most of the day thinking I could have gone for a proper ride instead. That's not to knock Sky Ride- I know that's not the point, but still.
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Personally, I think Skyride gives out the wrong message. It tells people that cycling on the road is only safe if the roads are shut and everyone is wearing a high-vis jacket.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    My son had a great time last year & cant wait to go again :)
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Chadders81 wrote:
    Personally, I think Skyride gives out the wrong message. It tells people that cycling on the road is only safe if the roads are shut and everyone is wearing a high-vis jacket.

Yeah, that had occurred to me too. On the other hand, if it gets a lot of people on bikes that normally wouldn't that has to be a good thing. Especially adults that might normally be in their cars- if it makes them think that maybe cyclists are normal people like them.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Chadders81 wrote:
    Have you been?

I went to last years London one and it was a fun day out. In fact it was only marred by people who didnt get into the spirit of the event, but tried to treat the closed roads as a race track and then complained about the families there. To be fair, some families do need to be more aware of just how stupid they were being letting little Jemima on her trike wander back and forth at right angles to the flow...they should be teaching them a bit of roadcraft and lane appreciation... but its not a race. It is an opportunity for people of all abilities to ride together and enjoy the sights.

I did my hard riding to and from the event, on the way down latched onto the back of a group of 6 training for London-Paris and picked up another group heading back to Luton on the return trip.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry: