Sheep's Bionicon Golden Willow

sheepsteeth
sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
edited June 2011 in Your mountain bikes
(right click and select view image for full view)

p4pb6705032.jpg

weighs in at 30.17lbs. some new mg1 pedals will bring this down to just under 30lbs and i will be very happy with that.
current spec is:

golden willow with upgraded fork cart and pva shock
specialized roval control al wheels
2.0 thecaptain tyres
hayes stroker trail brakes with 185 front and 160 rear disk.
x7 mechs and shifters
raceface evolve xc x-type cranks

Comments

• VERY STEALTHY
    1996 GT Borrego - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Expert - 2010 Specialized enduro expert
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sounds like a nice weight, I bet it rides well in the wind :lol:
  • sheepsteeth
    Sounds like a nice weight, I bet it rides well in the wind :lol:

very much so, im looking for some trouser clips then it will be done
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    it also needs some renthal bars and you need a xena disc lock so it doesn't get stolen.
  • getonyourbike
    Looking good though, what's the weight of the edison, isn't the Golden Willow a shorter travel version?
  • sheepsteeth
    the edison is just under 31, it will go up to about 31.5 when i replace the wheels

the willow will go down to just below 30lbs with the changes when i do them (tyres, wheels pedals and tubeless)

the willow has 120 at the back, 150 at the front.
    the edison has 140 at the back and 150 at the front

this is a quick and dirty build just to get it rolling
  • getonyourbike
    ah, makes sense.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Nice!

I assume you have a gravityobvious on order too?
  • sheepsteeth
    Nice!

I assume you have a gravityobvious on order too?

i wondered if that would be spotted.

so far, there are 2 rules being broken:
    1 it has tubes (i think they are made from rock they are soooo hevy)
    2 it has no dropper.

it isnt on order at the mo, i cant afford one just yet (well my credit card can but im being good, none of my bikes are on creditor credit card these days) so if i have some spare cash at the end of june, i will spend it on one then.

i have already worked out t should still weigh just a shade under 30lbs with the dropper
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    I get you. You have a temporary reprive from being called a homo for having the wrong seatpost then :wink:

Why the burlier wheels for the Edison instead of lighter wheels on this if you don't mind my asking?

Have you ever put the current ones out of true?
  • sheepsteeth
    i havent ever put the rovals out of true, no.

but to buy wheels as light as they are will cost a mint so instead, i can make this considerably lighter whilst remaining tough and the edison can get burlier.

if i could get 1600g wheels for 200 quid, id be up for them.

im trying to keep the budget down you see.
  • Very nice :D

need a pic of them both side by side!

What rovals do you have btw?
  • sheepsteeth
    i have to 08 roval traversee
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    Really nice.. Those cranks look a bit pimp.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    Awesome find Dan!

That's going to build into an absolute beast of an XC bike.

And definitely a great call on building up the Edison slightly tougher too - done just that with mine and it just gets better and better.

Now all you need is that Ironwood that's on my Facebook and you'll have a full fleet.....
  • sheepsteeth
    im so chuffed with it.

i havent ridden the stumpjumper i used to donate most of the bits to this bike with so to its nice to have a second bike that i will want to ride again (the stumpy was a bit steep and light for my tastes)

just sold my stumpy frame so i might go and do a bit of wheel shopping.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    That's lush! Bionicons are growing on me more and more...

120 back 150 front?! Hmm, interesting... is it designed to be a light XC-ish bike or more of a AM Bike with more pert rear sus? I always like the idea of a short travel FS with a long fork designed for trail/am abuse.... would suit my HT style but with the benefit of FS...

Whats the H/A at fully slack mode? and how tough is the frame... I know the Edison is for abuse... but I'd prefer the shorter travel so long as it was up for the knocks and suitably slack...

How much is the frame/fork combo?

And whats the feel of the sus like? is the fork any good? plush? And is the Sus pert or wallowy? Firm or like a sofa?

sorry for all the Q's.... but I am actually considering joining the club...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • sheepsteeth
    the GW is a trail bike, the rear sus feels like every 4 bar bike ive ridden, in a good way.

the fork and angles allow the bike to be ridden harder than a 120mm label would normally suggest, i read a story about one competng in a DH event a few years back.

angles wise, it goes from 73 to 68 degress and anywhere between, its the best travel adjust system out there (in myopinion)

frame and fork would normally cost 1600 quid i got this for 450.

suspension wise, i think it is comparable to the stuff ive owned by rockshox and fox, it is easy to set up and can be set soft and plush or hard

i would always recommend finding one for a test ride to be honest, i love them, everyone who owns one loves one but the reviewers dont tend to like them at all so they may be a bit of an aquired taste.

if i was going to have 1 bionicobvious, it would be the edison. built a bit tougher so more versatile for a similar weight.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    if you could stomach white wheels theses are as near as dammit to 1600grams and with the discount only £143 down from £299
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/showPart. ... M200&bike=
    top review too
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... t-11-42786
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • getonyourbike
    pastey_boy wrote:
    if you could stomach white wheels theses are as near as dammit to 1600grams and with the discount only £143 down from £299
    top review too
    I thought he was after something a bit beefier as they're for the Edison and since when was 3 stars a top review?
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy wrote:
    top review too
    I thought he was after something a bit beefier as they're for the Edison and since when was 3 stars a top review?
    he could leave the rovals on the edison and put the alleins on the willow, and if you read the review you will see that the rating does not match what is written, also the review works on the basis the wheels cost £300.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • getonyourbike
    pastey_boy wrote:
    pastey_boy wrote:
    top review too
    he could leave the rovals on the edison and put the alleins on the willow, and if you read the review you will see that the rating does not match what is written, also the review works on the basis the wheels cost £300.
    he could do that, good idea. I still wouldn't want them on a trail bike, too skinny, 'they get overhelmed by chunky rubber' and 'at home on your average cross country race course' doesn't portray them in a good light for trail riding with average, 2.2-2.35 sized tyres.
  • sheepsteeth
    cheers for the suggestions guys, those wheels arent really what im looking for.

but if you are in the mood for searching, im looking for summat under 2 kilos with qr rear and qr (but adapatble to 15mm in the future) front and a rim width suitable for a big 2.35 tyre.

prefer black wheelset and dont mind if they are factory built. budget: 250 quids.
  • pastey_boy
    just buy the superstar stans flow special offer then, mine weighed 1900 grams and adapters are a tenner, use them with the 9mm/10mm qr axles and youve got a whole lot of stiffeness for not much money. you can buy the wheelset, qr axles and an extra 15mm adapter plus sealant ,valve and tape for less than £250
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • getonyourbike
    what pastey_boy said. just check the build quality and if you have a problem then return them pronto.
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    I was going to suggest that Superstar wheelset - absolutely spot on, you'll improve front end stiffness immediately with the 9mm qr and you're futureproofed too for when the new Double Agent lowers are available.
  • sheepsteeth
    they are in my basket at the moment, i was wondering if there were any better ideas out there.

i can get lime hubs and black rims for 260 or i can get all black for 230.
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    Lime/Obvious :)
  • getonyourbike
    Lime/Obvious :)
    of course :!: