I banged my helmet.....

Sammyw23
Sammyw23 Posts: 627
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
Quick question on helmets. Wasn't sure where to post....

Hit the Tarmac pretty hard today (own fault) and my helmet took a fair whack on the road.

Question is does something like that diminish the protection of the helmet for a future bang? Its not cracked just scratched up.

Ta
Cervelo P3
Bianchi Infinito
Cannondale CAAD10

Comments

• P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    The manufacturers say yes, but then they would, wouldn't they?
  • pearcey
    pearcey Posts: 10
    I think there are a couple of things:

1. Bike helmets are designed to be destroyed on impact. If your helmet didn't immediately destruct it's probably alright now.

2. However if it didn't destroy itself on impact after a reasonably fair whack it probably wasn't very good and you need to get another one anyway. If you want to wear a helmet at all.

If you are planning to continue wearing helmets in the future I think you should get another one. I don't wear them though.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    pearcey wrote:
    I think there are a couple of things:

1. Bike helmets are designed to be destroyed on impact. If your helmet didn't immediately destruct it's probably alright now.

2. However if it didn't destroy itself on impact after a reasonably fair whack it probably wasn't very good and you need to get another one anyway. If you want to wear a helmet at all.

If you are planning to continue wearing helmets in the future I think you should get another one. I don't wear them though.

Mmmm.... I'm not sure they are designed to be destroyed on impact. They are designed to absorb impact which may or may not show visible damage. I would look at replacing it though!
    I started wearing a helmet regularly about 5 years ago. In March I was knocked off my bike and had about 30 minutes of memory loss. The helmet and my glasses took the bulk of the impact. Without them I think I would have been severely injured. I'm behind people making their own choices, but I never venture out without a helm et now!
  • MattJPaul
    MattJPaul Posts: 95
    NapD will no doubt have some definitive things to say about this.
  • dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    many years ago i worked in a bike shop in Aus - so long ago it was before the helmet laws came in.

we had the Bell rep visit us one day because we were already selling lots of their helmets.

he had with him a number of examples of "used" helmets as well of examples of ones that they had "tested".

Basically, he showed us how a bicycle helmet works by absorbing the impact and that the shell is there just to try and hold it all together in case there is a second bounce of your noggin.

have a look at your helmet at the point that took the initial impact. my guess is that you will find that the polystyrene is compressed in that area. this shows that it has decelerated you head at point of impact much slower than it would have done without the helmet. job done.

now most manufacturers have some form of replacement warranty. contact them and they may replace it for half price. this happened for a friend of mine with his low model Giro - and it was hardly damaged. (he had to send the old one to them).

a small price to pay for peace of mind - but i can only decide the value of my noggin. :)
    regards,
    dbb
  • Sammyw23
    Cheers guys - Just fired an email to Giro to ask whether their crash replacement policy is available in the UK.

I suppose the point is if you're not 100% confident it will be ok in another crash then don't risk it.

And for those of you who don't wear helmets.......fools.....I am nursing a mild concussion tonight so god only knows what it would have been with no helmet at all.
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • Squillinossett
    Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
    could be ok, but then again, it couldnt...

if something is a bit scuffed from a fall ill make do, but i wouldnt risk it with a helmet.

exactly why i wont spend more than £100 on one..
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,579
    giro's crash replacement program is available in uk

full details are here...

http://www.madison.co.uk/giro/
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Sammyw23
    Yeah just found it but it's cheaper to buy a new saros from planet x in the sale so will do that. Cheers for passing on details though.
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Replace it definitely, helmets are made from expanded polystyrene, whack it on the road and it ain't expanded any more.

It's done it's job, time for a new one.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Sammyw23
    Done - New Saros from Planet X for £50. Cheers for your advice all

p.s. my head is sore :(
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Good decision.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    dbb wrote:

Basically, he showed us how a bicycle helmet works by absorbing the impact and that the shell is there just to try and hold it all together in case there is a second bounce of your noggin.

:)

I also understand that the shell is there to reduce the drag on the helmet if there is still forward movement and the helmet is touching the ground. This is of particular importance for kids who have not yet developed strong neck muscles and who would be susceptible to neck damage caused by twisting caused by friction between road surface and helmet.

If you have an old helmet try dragging the shell across tarmac and then do the same with the shell removed. Polystyrene digs into the tarmac.