yorkshire/cumbria/northumberland tour

dazza3512
dazza3512 Posts: 58
edited June 2011 in Tour & expedition
hi guys looking for any tips on a forthcoming trip i am doing,train from newcastle to york(after nightshift)arriving york 12ish, start cycling north using ncn route 65,up to thirsk/northallerton, camp, day 2 route 71 to appelby,camp,day 3,ncn68 haltwhistle,campday4 return south shields, any advice on campsites etc would be great,and keep fingers crossed for weather.

cheers 8)
He travels fastest who travels alone

Comments

• Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Do you really want to go to Appleby during the horse fair if your trip is within the next few weeks?
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • dazza3512
    hi,just realised,and your right, the fair will be on when i get there, think i will stop at kirby steven instead,then set of from there on the 3rd day,and pass through applely before any body wakes up,any decent campsites in kirby ? :D
  • Yecomb
    Yecomb Posts: 26
    If you're stopping at Haltwhistle, there's a good campsite up the hill at Twice Brewed called Winshields Farm. it's on the Hadrian cycle routs and only a short walk from the Twice brewed Inn for good food and beer.

There's a link to the campsite on the pub website.
    http://www.twicebrewedinn.co.uk/things_to_do.html

Nice easy run down to Shields from there and you'd be right to miss the pikeys the night before.
  • dave27
    dave27 Posts: 35
    dazza3512 wrote:
    hi,just realised,and your right, the fair will be on when i get there, think i will stop at kirby steven instead,then set of from there on the 3rd day,and pass through applely before any body wakes up,any decent campsites in kirby ? :D

I think there is a site called Pennine View. Never stayed but remember the sign when passing in the car. Doesn't seem too far from the main road running through Kirby. Several cafes and pubs in Kirby also.
  • dave27
    dave27 Posts: 35
    dazza3512 wrote:

I think there is a site called Pennine View. Never stayed but remember the sign when passing in the car. Doesn't seem too far from the main road running through Kirby. Several cafes and pubs in Kirby also.
  • dazza3512
    cheers everbody for the advice,will let you know how it went when i return.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Not too far from Kirkby Stephen is Hawes with a couple of campsites and out of gypsie territory (i cycled thru Appleby and Kirkby last week and they were everywhere) or somewhere like Muker is a small village with a campsite and nice pub!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • dazza3512
    just to let you know the trip went very well 347km in total,left york for ripon about 12.30ish lovely flat landscape,followed ncn route to borobridge,arrived ripon about 4.30. tried to charge £15 for 1 night in a 1 man tent at the flower of may campsite,but found another for £7.
    left ripon about 8.30,mostley b roads to bedale then picked up ncn route skirting leyburn pas thr army ranges to reeth,plenty of hills,got to reeth about 1ish for lunch,pissing down,trhen left on the road over the moors to tan hill pub,nightmare hills and wind in my face all the way,free cup of coffee at tan hill cause the manageress felt sorry for me,then more hills and a nice pleasant down hill bit to kirby stephen,stayed in the white lion pub, left for haltwhistle on thurs, nice run into appelby,then more hills till i got to the bottom of the hartside pass,followed the ncn route up the pass to the cafe,had an hours rest,then lovely coast down to alston, lovely ride following the river from alston to haltwhistle,arrived about 5ish stsyed at a campsite called the seldom seen,never again only £6 but right next to the railway line and the busy a69,no sleep,set of for home at 8.30 hard climb up to the roman wall,but then coasted for what seemed forever down to hexham, then followes the river route to necastle.where the wife was waiting at wetherspoons for lunch and a lift home,