I need another bike.

moonio
moonio Posts: 802
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
I love Harry 2.0, he is slick, fast and urbane, however I need another bike for shopping, riding along country tracks, attaching panniers to and possibly a trailer.

Ideally I'd love a vintage bike (just as long as it's not too heavy) but something modern would be good too, and suitable for a female body...

Any suggestions?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    N+1, do it.......

Personally I'd keep an eye on Gumtree/ebay and your local recycling (sic) centre and look out for something that catches my imagination......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    moonio wrote:
    Ideally I'd love a vintage bike (just as long as it's not too heavy) but something modern would be good too, and suitable for a female body...

Are you planning to drag it behind you, or throw it over the top tube and the handlebars? Probably easier to control the bike if you do the former.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I need at least 9 9more bikes
  • moonio
    What about an old Raleigh?? would it be heavy?
    I think the vintage bike route could be good...but I'd like to put semi-slick tyres on it too...
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    moonio wrote:
    I think the vintage bike route could be good...but I'd like to put semi-slick tyres on it too...

Check out my I just bought a mixte! thread. I bought it and fixed it up for my cousin, but she saw it and says its too old fashioned for her (she's young and vain). I need to confirm with her that she definitely doesn't want it.

Its an old bike, but after taking it apart to service it I think it has done less than 100 miles from new. The teeth on the chainrings and sprockets are unworn, the chain is unworn and the races are unworn.
    It could do with new wheels (heavy steel) and tyres (lots of tread, but the rubber is perishing) but these are not essential.

The leather covered (by me) female specific saddle should be kind to your punnani too.

Let me know if you are interested.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    moonio wrote:
    I love Harry 2.0, he is slick, fast and urbane, however I need another bike for shopping, riding along country tracks, attaching panniers to and possibly a trailer.

Any suggestions?
    I hope no-one suggests a big Chopper. That would be bang out of order.

<coat, gets...>
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    You don't need another bike, no one here does really. The ones we have are all perfectly adequate for our needs and I'm sure you'll find that's the case with you as well.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • EKE_38BPM
    You don't need another bike, no one here does really. The ones we have are all perfectly adequate for our needs and I'm sure you'll find that's the case with you as well.
    Ssshhh! I might be selling a bike!

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159

WTF?????????? N+1 - its the LAW
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    moonio wrote:

Pashley do a modern retro style tourer - worth a look
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003

Substitute 'need' with 'want', then you'll see what KB's getting at
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    kelsen wrote:

what? winding people up you mean? :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    kelsen wrote:

what? winding people up you mean? :D

Ah ok, that as well then!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Of course you do m'dear.

Something elegant and ladylike of course - ideally in
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Don't listen to KB, he's delusional. You certainly need another bike :D
    EKE's Mixte is nice indeed.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    If it's just a shopping hack you want a bit of skip raiding should get you a ladyframe BSO. Slicks and job done!
  • moonio
    No it has to be a countryside bike and shopping bike too...
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Old Raleigh ladies bike sitting in my shed. Needs love and air. PM me if interested.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    moonio wrote:
    No it has to be a countryside bike and shopping bike too...

Sounds like you need 3 new bikes ;)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    If you're looking for something that will last for decades and you will be able to sell for 80% of it's original value in 10 years go for workcycles Oma or SecretService for Ladies with a pick up rack. These are the RollsRoyce of the cycling world - bombproof and reliable. They do cost around a grand though - however if you think about the resell value - you only pay 200 pounds in reality, the rest is a deposit :) The fron rack allows you to pack a lot of stuff and it's frame mounted so it doesn't affect the handling. You can find a reseller in UK (don't know where are you based exactly or have it shipped over). http://www.workcycles.com/home-products/handmade-city-bicycles
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • EKE_38BPM