Not being able to race when you've pre-entered

Herbsman
Herbsman Posts: 2,029
edited June 2011 in Amateur race
How many people have had their money back when they've been unable to race at an event that they've entered by post?
CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If you let the organiser know in advance then IME they'll just tear up your cheque. I've done that twice so far this season for races that were still a good few weeks away.
    More problems but still living....
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    If I inform an organiser I can't race I would always word it so there is no expectation of a refund - some have some haven't - either way no complaints.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    If I inform an organiser I can't race I would always word it so there is no expectation of a refund - some have some haven't - either way no complaints.

+1
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Depends on whether the organiser has completed the start sheet and has reserves. 2 weeks before, possibly. The night before unlikely.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    i'd expect that if you inform them before the entry deadline you shouldn't be charged, after that then i'd say its tough
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • For BC races the organisers shouldn't be cashing your cheque before the entry deadline (that's what the BC rules say!) so they should agree to return your entry fee/shred the cheque/etc if you contact them before that.

Speaking as someone who organised their first two race meetings this year: Once the deadline has passed the organiser needs to be able to work with what they've got to a) ensure their event is financially viable and b) reduce the amount of faffing about entries so that they can get on with all the other tasks they need to do to get the event to run. If there is a reserve list it is courteous to let the organiser know, even if it is after the deadline, but don't expect them to go to the bother of refunding you - they've got enough on their plate as it is!

If it's a sportive - forget it! And if you are that bothered then ask yourself why you are paying £30 to ride one anyway - and try a £4 Audax or Reliability Trial instead!
    Put me back on my bike...

t' blog: http://meandthemountain.wordpress.com/
  • Tom Butcher
    Out of interest where in the rules is the bit about not cashing cheques before the closing date ? I usually pass some to our treasurer to cash earlier - didn't realise I was breaking the rules doing that.

• Hmm - ok perhaps i expressed it slightly incorrectly - it'd be more accurate to say - because of the BC rules it would make life a lot easier for organsiers if they worked on the basis that an entry isn't binding until after the entry date. This is beacuse the BC rule book says:

"competitor must not enter, nor accept an invitation to compete, in more than one event
    (whether under the Regulations of the Federation or Cycling Time Trials) on the same
    day except when his entry or acceptance for one event has been withdrawn before the closing date for that event, or it is possible and reasonable for him to start and finish in both events, or with the consent of both event organisers." (7.2.1)

Which infers that riders have the right to withdraw an entry for an event before the closing date has been reached (in order to ride another event - but by definition the rule says you can't enter the 'other' event until you've withdrawn from the first one, so the rider couldn't logically be required to provide proof of another entry to you at the point of withdrawing...).

Of course - you can cash their cheques as soon as you receive them - but you then run the risk of having to refund them if they pull out before the closing date - so it reduces the risk if you work on the basis that, once the entry deadline has passed, the entry is binding...

That was my interpretation anyway...

• Tom Butcher
    I'm going to disagree then - there's nothing in the rules inferred or otherwise that you should refund a rider once they have sent you their cheque. The rule you quote is purely for the rider to withdraw from the start sheet - not a guarantee of a refund.

• The rule you quote is purely for the rider to withdraw from the start sheet - not a guarantee of a refund.

That is a damn good point! :D:D

• JAnglesea
    JAnglesea Posts: 28
    When I organised a race recently I did not cash entry cheques until the closing date had passed. Indeed I refunded several riders that contacted me and had either gone up a category and so could not ride or had injuries and could not ride.

Personally, if I wrote to a race organiser before the entry closing date had passed with a valid reason for withdrawing then I would expect to see my entry cheque torn up. Equally, once the closing date had passed I would not expect to get a refund.