how to measure

knownothingbozo
knownothingbozo Posts: 168
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
May be two dumb ass questions coming up, but I get conflicting or confusing answers with web searches.

1. When measuring width of handlebars, what specifically are the two points between which the measurements are made?
2. The same question essentially for measuring the stem?

Is there a web site that gives info on where measurements are made across all elements of the bike, i.e. crank arm etc, I am aware that some manufacturers measure specifically to confuse people like me.

Thanks.
Some people are like slinkies - not much use for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

http://knownothingbozoandhisbike.blogspot.com/

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Stems and cranks are always C to C. Handlebars are mostly centre to centre on the drops but some like Deda are outside to outside
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • PeterBL
    PeterBL Posts: 209
    +1

Regarding handlebars, note that some flare out at the drops, and therefore will be narrower at the top.

A 46cm handlebar measured out-out is equivalent to a 44cm one measure centre-centre.
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    I think 3T and Deda do outside to outside at the drops, but it is case of checking each manufacturers product information.