Calshot

incog24
incog24 Posts: 549
edited June 2011 in Track
I'm moving down to Southampton in the Autumn to do a PhD at the Uni and a bit of track riding is definitely involved. Information on the net is a bit scant. Whats the craic on training/racing on the track in the winter? Are the sessions well attended/competitive? Is it possible to store a bike there? I don't currently have a car so it'd be handy if I could leave one there.
Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk

Comments

• Don't know much about the winter track league, but a quick google search will get you the organisers phone number (lives in Portsmouth), or ask British Cycling for the contact details.

The receptionist was pretty vague about winter racing and training dates when I phoned a few weeks ago, saying they hadn't been finalised yet.

Simply hire one of Calshot's own bikes, rather than use your own (I think they're currently £4 a pop, unless you're on a beginner's/improvers course, in which case they're free), or are you planning to own a really nice track bike? Their own bikes are simply hung up in the track centre, implying that they don't have any secure bike storage. The bikes are Dolan Pre Cursas, with Alpina carbon forks, and Navigator pista rims. They're fitted with Look Keo Easy pedals, but if you have the right tools, know how to use them and ask nicely, they'll let you swap the pedals for your own system.

Or..do what I do when I need to transport my bike: borrow a mate's car :)

The beginner's and improvers sessions all seem fully booked at the mo, and a lot of peeps seem keen on taking things further, so I guess the track will be busy over the winter!

What sort of PhD involves riding a track bike?!?!
  • incog24
    Haha the track riding isn't explicitly involved in the PhD, sadly.

I might rent for a bit, but I can get a Giant Omnium pretty cheap so I'm tempted to do that. If it doesn't work out I can always sell it on, probably without losing anything on it. I'd like to do national events if possible so it'd be easier to get my own bike than keep borrowing one. I guess there'll be a fair few people going to regular meets from Southampton, I'll have to get involved with the local club and make some friends!
  • usedtobefast
    usedtobefast Posts: 145
    I live in Southampton and regularly ride the track during the winter months so here goes with a few details (in no particular order).

You won't be able to store your own bike down at the track, there are no facilities for this.

You're not now allowed to swap your own pedals over but you can hire Look Keo cleated shoes if you don't have these already. They've had to repair too many hire bikes in the past from damaged caused by people swapping pedals over, and this winter they replaced all the hire bikes with a new fleet.

Tuesday and Thursday nights are group training sessions. Tuesday nights are harder and faster than Thursday but the session gets very repeatitive. If you're looking for a more varied session then Thursday night should be your choice.

You need to book early for either the Tuesday or Thursday as thye get filled very quickly (there is a limit of 16 riders in the session), I'd say about 2 weeks in advance.

Dress warmly in fully outdoor winter kit, it's b****y freezing as there's no heating, in fact it often feels warmer when you go outside.

If you want to race then there's a Sunday track league but I don't know the dates for this but it's promoted in the back of the comic and can be found on the web.
    Trainee BC level 2 coach ... and that's offical (30th June 2013)

Scott Addict R4 (2008)
    Scott Genius MC30 (2006)
    Quest carbon circa 1994 - winter bike
    Fuji Track Comp 2010
  • StevieDexter
    StevieDexter Posts: 142
    I'd agree with all of the above from 'usedtobefast' except that you can swap that they do let you swap out your pedals.

Take heed of the winter clothing advice.... not kidding!

:D
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way...

Ribble Gran Fondo
    Shimano 105
    CSN Superleggera XL50
    Speedplay X2
    Met SineThesis
    Sidi Ergo 2
    Garmin 705
  • usedtobefast
    Not completely sure what the position is with swapping pedals now, as back in Oct 2010 they (Calshot) said this would not be allowed any more and they had a good supply of cleated DHB shoes which can be hired, so swapping pedals was no longer needed.

Saying this I've just checked the web site and on the "Stage 1" training course page it says you can change pedals but to be careful and not to damage the cranks.

incog24; I suggest you phone Calshot directly to get the full sp on this.

Also if you're looking for a good fast training group try the group that goes from the Happy Cheese pub in Ashurst at 9:30am Sat mornings. Be warned though that they don't take prisoners and if you get dropped you're on your own. There are already some guys from the university cycling club that go out on this.

Scott Addict R4 (2008)
    Scott Genius MC30 (2006)
    Fuji Track Comp 2010
  • incog24
    Cheers for the information guys. Moderate cashflow issues (read dependance on overdraft to get me through the MSc) mean I'll probably not get my own track bike until Christmas ish, so I'll start with the hire ones. Probably sensible. I'm looking forward to getting involved on the track, although not looking forward to the cold quite as much! Still, sounds more fun than a turbo session or base miles in the rain!

usedtobefast - that club run sounds good, I'll probably see you there at some point. If the uni guys can keep then I should be fine, I beat all the ones that came to the BUCS tt champs :wink:

Quite excited about the move now cycling wise. It seems like there's a good scene there, looking forward to getting stuck in.
  • alanf
    alanf Posts: 222
    What ratios do the guys use down there?
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!
    I like
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!
  • usedtobefast
    I always have problems remembering this but I think I use 48 x 15 which is about 84 inch.

Scott Addict R4 (2008)
    Scott Genius MC30 (2006)
    Fuji Track Comp 2010
  • Thick Tester
    Thick Tester Posts: 380
    72" worked best for me ....

Remember to empty your bowels before riding it for the first time....
    You will crap yourself when the g force hits your belly
  • gandhi
    gandhi Posts: 187
    incog24 wrote:
    usedtobefast - that club run sounds good, I'll probably see you there at some point. If the uni guys can keep then I should be fine, I beat all the ones that came to the BUCS tt champs :wink:
    They can't... ;)
  • usedtobefast
    I was down Calshot yesterday evening and a chat with the head coach confirmed that you are not permitted to swap pedals on the rental bikes, and the website should now be updated to show this.

Scott Addict R4 (2008)
    Scott Genius MC30 (2006)
    Fuji Track Comp 2010