Replacement Chainset

father_jack
father_jack Posts: 3,509
edited May 2011 in Workshop
Don't need to change chainset, since it's brand new just wondering which is suitable one. square taper, BB will be Shimano UN54. Front derailler I think is Shimano, shifters are SRAM. May keep eye out for the sales

chainset.jpg

Prowheel Gloria 50-36 chainset

Quick search results in Shimano Alivio taper chainset, pretty cheap any slightly higher end models? Say Tiagra quality?

Are taper chainsets becoming obselute? I assume to "upgrade" need to change both of course. All of my bikes have square taper BB/chainsets is there a upgrade path or gulp will BB30/90 mean standard size BB tubes will die out? What is my upgrade/modernise path? (Shimano UN54, Kinex tape BB/Mirage & Campag Centuar BB/Veloce Chainset)
Say... That's a nice bike..
Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    You could always ask at Halfords. :wink:

But seriously folks, I had a bike with a gloria compact ( a carrera from halfords of all places)and square taper BB. I upgraded to Sora (8 speed) which used the same BB and in comparison was lighter. From that I went to Tiagra which used an octalink BB, which was lighter still.

I've no idea if the square ones are dying out but I do know they are heavier. Tiagra are now pretty cheap and you can pick up compacts and BBs on fleabay for small bucks.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • father_jack
    hmmm quick search discontinued....taper going the way of the dinosaur?
  • Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    2300 is taper. Why not stick external cups in? same thread, better cranks further up the range + stiffer?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    hmmm quick search discontinued....taper going the way of the dinosaur?

you will need to get a crankset that is compatible with axle length.

and yes there are very few new cranks that are square taper other than the lowend entry level bikes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • father_jack
    Brand new bike! Just bought new BB as damaged splines on the cups.. Seen this going

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/95 ... ouble.html

Do I have to worry about chainline? BB is 115mm so was old one, so if I keep like for like be ok? Even though shifter is a triple, maybe once BB & chainset wears out upgrade to a triple (change to new system)

External BB system looks stupid design...for wet weather bike.
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032

and yet, millions of riders all over the word seem perfectly happy with them in all weathers....
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    Pseudonym wrote:

and yet, millions of riders all over the word seem perfectly happy with them in all weathers....

Indeed, but many of those are 'perfectly happy' with them because they are told that the design is lighter and stiffer. And many people are 'perfect happy' replacing most of the parts on their bike at regular intervals, giving them an excuse to upgrdae.

It is pretty obvious, merely looking at the design of the bottom brackets, let alone the real service life history built up over decades, that square taper last longer than holllowtech bearings. It is perverse placing BB bearings directly in the way of spray from the front wheel. The only motivation for the design is to fit larger axles and bearings into a standard 68mm shell.

Incidentally, I hold no particular torch for square taper. It is heavy and newer designs are stiffer. But they are long lived.

To the OP, you may be better off asking this question on the CTC forum or somewhere.

Have you looked at Stronglight cranks - e.g. fromt Spa Cycles?
  • onbike 1939
    onbike 1939 Posts: 708
    Pseudonym wrote:

It is pretty obvious, merely looking at the design of the bottom brackets, let alone the real service life history built up over decades, that square taper last longer than holllowtech bearings. It is perverse placing BB bearings directly in the way of spray from the front wheel. The only motivation for the design is to fit larger axles and bearings into a standard 68mm shell.

Incidentally, I hold no particular torch for square taper. It is heavy and newer designs are stiffer. But they are long lived.

True, and in addition in most frames the BB shell will require facing if the official advice is to be followed. Having faced a few now I find this a real pain.
  • father_jack
    I do know taper BB's are quite heavy however I'd rather carry a extra 200 grams in weight knowing the ball bearings are sealed inside the BB tube, BB thread and cups.