Gusty winds tom. Anyone chooses to pass?

2»

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Clare_M wrote:
    I passed. Been a week since I rode to work! Not happy :(

If you don't cycle to work tomorrow I'm changing your name on SN to 'Wimp' :P
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Headwind coming in around 17-18mph - tailwind home - whoopee 8)

Amendment: Headwind and lashing rain home :x
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Clare_M wrote:
    I passed. Been a week since I rode to work! Not happy :(

You're one of the nutters now Claire - WTFU
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Welcome to my world, its always 20mph down here :(
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    A bit blowy at times in Brizzle but it wasn't the wind that made me stop when I did, it was the little bits of water that came out of nowhere. The group of cyclists planning on riding across the Severn Bridge wearing their spinnaker sails aka rain capes, will be having fun. I still managed a respectable but wet 26 mph today.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Gusting to 44 mph today, massive rainstorm 90 mins before leaving work. That calmed the wind to 33 mph gusts! Also left the ground too slippy for my favourite MTB ride this evening :-(.
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    Yeah... there were a few points en route home tonight where a sudden gust either moved me sideways a little.... or on one memorable stretch blew so hard that I'm convinced that if I'd stopped pedalling, I'dve been going backwards.

And why is it that the headwind always seems stronger on uphill stretches....
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    No rain in London coming home and a handy tailwind meant I held 35mph on the flat for a fair way (for me!) :twisted:
    Still breathing.....
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    40mph cross-winds and tipping rain - too much
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I just MTFU rolled up my trouser leg and rode the CX - simples!

8)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    hambones wrote:
    No rain in London coming home and a handy tailwind meant I held 35mph on the flat for a fair way (for me!) :twisted:

Obviously a different London from mine then... gusty blasts all the way home mainly from the west (and I'm travelling NW). Started with a fine drizzle at 6:30 and was getting seriously wet by the time I arrived home at 7:50... and then it stopped of course...

Dry this morning but lots of headwind - knocked 3mph off the average - was hard work...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    that was hard work. Strong headwind as suspected for 18 miles. But I avoided the rain so it wasn't all bad.
    FCN = 4
  • Here in the Fens its hell because there is flat lind for miles around and no real trees or anything to stop the sudden gusts.
  • deptfordmarmoset
    deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
    hambones wrote:

Obviously a different London from mine then... gusty blasts all the way home mainly from the west (and I'm travelling NW). Started with a fine drizzle at 6:30 and was getting seriously wet by the time I arrived home at 7:50... and then it stopped of course...

Dry this morning but lots of headwind - knocked 3mph off the average - was hard work...

I can't remember London weather ever feeling so localised. I keep hearing of people getting wet but I've been working outdoors from the bike for about 8 weeks on the trot now and I haven't got wet once in all that time. I'm not saying it hasn't tried to rain - it was spitting around 7:30 this evening, for example - but not enough to get wet.

The wind, unlike the rain, seems to be pretty much universal, though :cry:
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    Had to drive to burnemouth this morning (on a course) staying with family so brought the bike with me (left the car at the training centre) the wind whipping in from the sea front nearly had me off on the ride home. Good fun mind and I took a couple of scalps so all in all a good ride.
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    The wind, unlike the rain, seems to be pretty much universal, though :cry:
    Where it gets really bad in the City is the smaller street between the big buildings... round the back of the new St Boltophs building almost brought me to a standstill, was like riding in a wind tunnel...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    Slight underestimation of wind yesterday, gusts over 40mph, lots of trees down and the Bridge got closed so traffic was hilarious. Headwinds and fixed wheels make for good fun, I'm off again shortly...
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Hats off to you lads north of the broder cycling in the wind. Virgin had decided it was too windy for their trains yesterday evening.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    t4tomo wrote:
    Hats off to you lads north of the broder cycling in the wind. Virgin had decided it was too windy for their trains yesterday evening.

I got half-way home on the train last night and they cancelled it (Larbert, tree across both lines)...so I rode the last 17 miles... it was slow going but mostly cross-winds, travelling NW. Lots of debris on & by the roads.

No electricity at the house, or the kids school... windows, trees and various bits of garden damaged... what a mess.

Cheers,
    W.
  • Here in the Fens its hell because there is flat lind for miles around and no real trees or anything to stop the sudden gusts.

i feel your pain! almost blown into a river a few times last night :evil: