Going to be mega windy

chadders81
chadders81 Posts: 744
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Not for you southern lot but anybody in the Midlands or north is going to suffer tomorrow at some point.

Amber gales warning for southern Scotland.

Coming from the south-west so I will try for a record time in to the office in the morning. Less enthused about coming home in to a constant gale.

Better get on those drops or I'll be going backwards.

Sorry to ruin your Sunday.

Comments

• optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Its pretty windy here in the SE today, esp on exposed hillsides...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Blowing a bloody gale here already.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    It's windy enough here to make walking an issue, forget cycling.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    went for a mtb ride today round hebden bridge, got pounded with sleet! not bad for late may :shock:
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Going to be windy?????? Been blowing like the big bad wolf all weekend here. Woke up this morning to find my double-barrel barbeque on it's side the other side of the garden.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Pretty bad out here down south, just got back from 110 ks in Buckinghamshire etc,.. blown sideways few times!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Did the Dorney lake Tri today. Approaching the turn on the first bike loop and I was doing 17kph, 300m around the turn and I was doing 55kph. Hard work.

There were guys out there with discs and 80mm front rims. They must have some mean upper body strength, massive balls or a great orthodontist & skin grafter.....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Asprilla wrote:
    Did the Dorney lake Tri today. Approaching the turn on the first bike loop and I was doing 17kph, 300m around the turn and I was doing 55kph. Hard work.

There were guys out there with discs and 80mm front rims. They must have some mean upper body strength, massive balls or a great orthodontist & skin grafter.....

Ahh, that's why the bloke didn't let us ride through the park, you selfish gits!

(well done BTW!)
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Can't wait. My ride is south east then north west so it'll be a perpetual headwind Why can't I have a 50mph tailwind?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Going to be car for me. I know the weather folk can be pessimistic but 70 mph headwind sounds a bit too much like hard work for the return trip.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    If the BBC is right, I'll get very wet on the way to work (but still air) then 20mph tailwind home (aye, right)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Panniers and rack off, new saddle bag fitted. Game on..
  • chadders81
    70mph gusts in the Midlands tomorrow afternoon. And raining.

I am relishing the challenge now but might feel different at 4.30pm tomorrow.

Weather should get easier as the week goes on according to Tomasz Schafernaker.
  • chadders81
    I bottled it tonight. Still nursing a bit of an injury and didn't want to push myself too hard.

Bus journey reminded me why I started cycling in the first place. Disgusting.
  • chadders81
    I bottled it tonight. Still nursing a bit of an injury and didn't want to push myself too hard.

Bus journey reminded me why I started cycling in the first place. Disgusting.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    *crosses fingers and hopes for a tailwind!*