Achilles.

Stoo61
Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
Think ive strained my achilles, anyone done it before?

Whats the recovery time like? Hints and tips to speed things up?

Obviously its good to stay off it but in the real world thats not possible. Staying away from strenuous exercise. :(

Comments

• blablablacksheep
    blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
    its a simple problem to fix and very common.

suggest you work on achillies first but then once it sorted start working on your calf muscles as this will stop problems in furture.

but good exercise to do is doing "foot drops on stairs" ie put feet over the stair ledge so that ball of foot is on the ledge, then SLOWLY drop angles down then recover the foot up and repeat.

All the time make sure you keep your knees "locked" ie use quads to keep then engaged.

this a great exercise for recovery and preventing issues later on.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • steamboat
    steamboat Posts: 54
    ive torn both my achilles last year playing rugby its taken nearly a year to sort out still not 100% but its getting there my advise is to go see a gp or phsyo, rec time all depends on how bad you have hurt it, if the pain is about a 6 or less then do some simple one leg squats and stand on a pillow and raise one leg and tyr to keep your balance this will strengthen your muscels
    hope this helps a bit
  • Like Steamboat above, I did mine playing rugby and I am currently having physio on it to get help, as after a year it just wouldn't get any stronger.

So Id go to GP and ask for physio, as they are the professionals.

Basically, you need to stretch out the achilles and the calf before you do strengthening exercises, as it will be tight and you could damage it again!

Achilles are a pain in arse, good luck with recovery
  • blablablacksheep
    blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
    Like Steamboat above, I did mine playing rugby and I am currently having physio on it to get help, as after a year it just wouldn't get any stronger.

So Id go to GP and ask for physio, as they are the professionals.

Basically, you need to stretch out the achilles and the calf before you do strengthening exercises, as it will be tight and you could damage it again!

Achilles are a pain in ars*, good luck with recovery

Actually achillies problems can be "easly" avoided and fixed as i came to find out from reading and hearing about a study done on "running times".

Short story is, calf muscles are vitally important to stopping a lot of lower leg problems and building up calf muscles is the key.

This is why doing those stair lifts and "calf raises" are vital to making a quick and solid recovery.

Also important is balance and making the nerve connections again is also vital to good recovery,

Short answer was do calf exercises+balance exercises to fully recover, and i mean fully as this isnt a permanent injury as some may think.

gl
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • foxc_uk
    foxc_uk Posts: 1,292
    Definitely a +1 for getting physio.
    I left mine a while thinking it would be ok, so the physio I had at the beginning of the year didn't prevent the partial rupture that happened in March.

Learnt my lesson, that's for sure.