Moving Office, locking bike?

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
So it looks as if I could be moving offices at the end of June, an 11 mile each way commute instead of 16, me thinks I will be going a longer route home sometimes!

Visited the new premises last week, there is a bike shed, not sure what the set up is called but it's just bars that hold the front (or rear) wheel in place. I normally use a d-lock, that won't work any more. Guess I will have to use a long cable to feed through the frame, is there anything that you would recommend?

Thanks!

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I d-lock through the frame and back wheel onto the stand and just use a cable to keep the front wheel attached to the bike (we have big u bar thingies to attach to though which means the front wheel can have the cable loop through the u bar as well)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    They are called wheel benders, I would make representations to the office management that they are not fit for the purpose. Sheffield stand or nothing.
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    You can get an extra long D-lock through the rear triangle and into one of those. Bit of a squeeze, but definitely reaches. Cable through to the front wheel and you're all set.

It's easier for a thief with a car jack to prise apart, but as good as you'll get without putting your bike sideways and d-locking through the frame onto the stand.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Those type of bike stands are a security hazard! I wouldn't use it at all. I would fine a railing or proper bike stand elsewhere...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • essex-commuter
    Mmm, bummer so far. I can't imagine getting a d-lock through the stand and the frame, it's something similar to this but more robust...

http://www.jtechstreetscene.co.uk/_/rsr ... &width=200

2000 people at the office, only 4 bikers there when I went to have a look. I need to get my feet under the table before I start making demands to the facilities department! I will have a snoop around and see what else there is, I'd prefer it to be under cover though so that will limit my choices.

Just thinking, perhaps a long d-lock might just go through the rear triangle....
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Those type of bike stands are a security hazard! I wouldn't use it at all. I would fine a railing or proper bike stand elsewhere...

This

B**ocks to thse sort of inadequae things, security and damage issues to contend with.

Is there not a boiler room, caretakers garage, understairs area indoors you could stash it? if I have to put mine outdoors its d-locked to the fire escape superstructure -not blocking the steps tho and safe from the worst excesses of the weather.

now would be the right tme to be making representation to the big bosses and looking round for a green business grant to help persuade them to upgrade to something more suitable and secure
  • essex-commuter

Is there not a boiler room, caretakers garage, understairs area indoors you could stash it? if I have to put mine outdoors its d-locked to the fire escape superstructure -not blocking the steps tho and safe from the worst excesses of the weather.

now would be the right tme to be making representation to the big bosses and looking round for a green business grant to help persuade them to upgrade to something more suitable and secure

I will go again and have a proper look. The trouble with a company the size of where I work is that even the simplest thing is hard to change, trust me I've tried. I will keep on trying though, just a bit difficult until I'm actually based there.

I did notice that that bike shed looked as if it had been there about 50 years but next to it was a brand new looking smoking area with a nice perspex cover and seats...perhaps I should lock my bike in there :D
  • _jon_
    _jon_ Posts: 366
    I have the exact same problem. We have a bike shed with combination lock on the door but it only has those stands that just buckle..... I mean hold the front wheel. They have recently been installed as well.

I didn't care with my old bike. I just left that unlocked and the wheels had already seen better days. The problem is that I have just bought a new bike that will need locking so I am also on the lookout for an appropriate lock. I'm currently considering either the abus steel-o-flex cable or a chain. Probably not as good as a D-Lock but maybe a good compromise. If anyone got into the bike shed though, they'd have enough time out of sight to break any lock I put on it.

We also have normal bike racks outside (but under cover) which would be much more secure to lock to. The only problem is I have accessories on my bike such as computer and pannier bag that I don't really want to have to take off every day. Also, being more visible, it may have a better chance of been pinched.

I'm putting off bringing my new bike in until I've made a decision about how to secure it. :?
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I'm lucky in that nobody objects to my brining my bike into the office with me - in fact I almost never go out with a lock (even at the supermarkets that I frequent I've pallied up with the guys who monitor the camera screens and they let me put my bike into their offices whilst I shop :D )

Those wheel gripper stands are diabolical.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    those things can be tricky to lock up to. especially if you use mini d-locks but with a bit of lateral thinking it can be done. :lol:

img0407w.jpg
    Hat + Beard
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    I can see your your Father's son Mr Hatbeard!
    Graham. :D
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Moving Office, locking bike?!

I would lock it to the Office. then it will be there when it stops moving.

Sorry. :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • essex-commuter
    nicklouse wrote:
    Moving Office, locking bike?!

I would lock it to the Office. then it will be there when it stops moving.

Sorry. :wink:

Ha, it's a cracker!

From what I can remember I think the 'stands' are fixed to the back wall so you kind of back your bike into them, rather than the stands being fixed to the floor. Oh wish I had taken a picture now!