Enigma Extensor

antlaff
antlaff Posts: 583
edited May 2011 in Your road bikes
Just received this evening - only got to take her for a quick mile but so impressed

PLEASE NOTE ITS CHORUS NOT ATHENA - iPhone won't let me scroll down to change!!

5741270986_e6f0e255f5_o.jpg
DSC_0002 by Antlaff, on Flickr

5740717985_2a08606d64_o.jpg
DSC_0016 by Antlaff, on Flickr

5740718259_f0093f8394_o.jpg
DSC_0018 by Antlaff, on Flickr

5741271800_34c67b6681_o.jpg
DSC_0019 by Antlaff, on Flickr

Frame: Enigma Extensor Micro Tig Welded
Forks: Columbus Minimal Full Carbon
Bars: Enigma oversize alloy bar
Stem: Enigma 3k carbon matrix
Headset: Chris King 11/8" nothreadset
Bar Tape: Enigma

Front Brake Lever: Campag Chorus 11
Front Caliper: Campag Chorus
Rear Brake Lever: Campag Chorus 11
Rear Caliper: Campag Chorus

Shifters: Campag Chorus 11
Cables: Campag
Front Mech: Campag Chorus 11
Rear Mech: Campag Chorus 11
Seat: Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow
Seat Post: Enigma carbon 27.2mm/350mm

Cranks: Campag Chorus Carbon
Chainring(s): 53-39
Chain: Campag Chorus 11
Cassette: 12-27 Chorus
Pedals: Look Keo 2 Max
Bottom Bracket: Campag Athena

Wheels: Mavic 2011 Ksyrium Elite Wheels
Tires: Continental Grand Prix 4000s
Enigma Carbon Cage

will post better pics tomorrow if anybody interested!!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yep. That'll do it.

As good as it gets right there. Great paint choice, a bit like the colnago sarroni scheme.

Good effort :)
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Lovely, really like the colour as someone said almost saronni like. Seem to have very steep angle these enigma's?

Seems to have chorus?
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    As great as it looks, truly, loads of seatpost plus loads of spacers = frame too small?? Spoils it a little for me because it really is nice. Admittedly i don't know the specifics.
  • antlaff
    wicked wrote:
    Lovely, really like the colour as someone said almost saronni like. Seem to have very steep angle these enigma's?

Seems to have chorus?

D'oh your quite correct!! But I paid for Chorus so didn't get a bargain!! Will change
  • Nice but just to be pedantic you don't have Athena cranks :D
  • antlaff
    edited May 2011
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    As great as it looks, truly, loads of seatpost plus loads of spacers = frame too small?? Spoils it a little for me because it really is nice. Admittedly i don't know the specifics.

No prob - Frame is custom size for me - seat height not finalised but pretty close.
    Mark from Enigma explains his design in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8-q82X706Kc#at=54
  • EKIMIKE
    edited May 2011
    That's a custom fit :shock:. With 3cm of spacers?

The vid is just of someone buffing the frame...

Ed. Just looked at the other vid where he explains the sloping TT = more comfortable ride due to more carbon seatpost = flex in the post. But, there'a about 3-4cm more seatpost sticking out on your frame than the Echo (which already has quite alot) on the vid. I am genuinely shocked if you've been given a custom fit here.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    thats one hansome looking beast ! love the colours top work
  • leeroy72
    leeroy72 Posts: 330
    Beautiful machine, very sweet. I'm not sure about their custom fitting skills though, but if your happy, who cares.
    Find your limits...and then exceed them frequently
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited May 2011
    Hmmm. If that's custom then I won't be getting a custom fit Enigma... Mega spacer stack=wrong.

Shame as everything else about it is stunning...
  • antlaff
    40 miles this morning - totally lived up to my expectations - so comfortable and a joy when you get out of the saddle. Will be changing my normal routes and now go seeking hills.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Gorgeous bike, love the colour and kit on it.
    But like some others why the spacers? I can understand the seatpost length but if it's a custom build the headtube length should be 'right' You wouldn't see a Pegoretti like that, he builds them with a extended head tube and no spacers, reason being that it helps to keep the front end under more control.
  • Supergoose
    Supergoose Posts: 1,089
    Got to echo the sentiments expressed earlier. That frame is too small for you custom fit or not. How much seat post? And far too many spacers. Id go back and see them.

Lovely looking machine though.
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • antlaff
    markos1963 wrote:
    Gorgeous bike, love the colour and kit on it.
    But like some others why the spacers? I can understand the seatpost length but if it's a custom build the headtube length should be 'right' You wouldn't see a Pegoretti like that, he builds them with a extended head tube and no spacers, reason being that it helps to keep the front end under more control.

Bit concerned now myself ref the spacers - seat post is fine - but looking thru google at extensor pics they all seem to have this number of spacers and many of the ti frames are the same. Would there be a reason for this design?
  • antlaff
    markos1963 wrote:
    You wouldn't see a Pegoretti like that, he builds them with a extended head tube and no spacers.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... =pegoretti

what like this?
  • spanielsson
    spanielsson Posts: 776
    antlaff wrote:
    Bit concerned now myself ref the spacers - seat post is fine - but looking thru google at extensor pics they all seem to have this number of spacers and many of the ti frames are the same. Would there be a reason for this design?

Less material used in the frame makes it cheaper to make.....
  • markos1963
    antlaff wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:
    You wouldn't see a Pegoretti like that, he builds them with a extended head tube and no spacers.

what like this?

Exception that proves the rule!
    Can't believe I didn't notice that as I posted on that thread :oops:
    Although to be fair Pheonix sell 'stock' bikes as well.
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    nice looking bike, but got to echo what others have said - you seem to have a lot of seat pin showing, a lot of spacers under the stem and a lot of saddle setback for a 'custom' build...
  • antlaff
    markos1963 wrote:
    antlaff wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

what like this?

then what about this custom one!!!!!

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/rcuk-bikes ... /1803.html
  • markos1963
    antlaff wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:
    antlaff wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

what like this?

then what about this custom one!!!!!

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/rcuk-bikes ... /1803.html

Ok you win, you obviously have more time and Google power to go looking for pictures to show me up as the simpleton I am. I have cancelled my Pegoretti order :cry:
  • Supergoose
    The bikes you are drawing parallels with differ in set up from yours in that they have less than approx 6' of seatpin above the t-t whereas you have around double that, allied with the set back on your seat with, what I would say is a short (100mm) stem.

In my opinion its all sorts of wrong and I would be back to them to ask why the head tube, seat tube
    and top tube are so short.

The bikes you posted have a deliberately upright position set up which is fine, personal preference. But your bike is too small!

What height are you? What does the frame measure c-c and c-t?
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • antlaff
    Supergoose wrote:
    The bikes you are drawing parallels with differ in set up from yours in that they have less than approx 6' of seatpin above the t-t whereas you have around double that, allied with the set back on your seat with, what I would say is a short (100mm) stem.

In my opinion its all sorts of wrong and I would be back to them to ask why the head tube, seat tube
    and top tube are so short.

The bikes you posted have a deliberately upright position set up which is fine, personal preference. But your bike is too small!

What height are you?

I'm 5'10 which puts me inbetween the 55 and 57 on their geometry settings. The bike is measured as a 56 the same as my kona haole.
    I understand what people are saying but I do find the position comfortable except when on the drops(just 20mm to long) and will swap the stem to a 90 or 100. I am relatively new to cycling but from what i've seen of other extensors on the web the spacers seem std in their design
  • Supergoose
    As long as you are comfortable on it, and your happy then thats the main thing.

Health to enjoy.
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • antlaff
    Supergoose wrote:
    As long as you are comfortable on it, and your happy then thats the main thing.

Health to enjoy.

Just moved the seat forward by 20mm sorted the reach - i've a print of the design measurements at work and will check tomorrow, but is the seat tube measured from the BB to the seat pin? if so it measures at 51.5, toptube at 56 and 14 for headtube which are inbetween their geometry settings for 55-57 frames

http://www.enigmabikes.com/bike/bike-enigma-extensor.html
  • antlaff
    markos1963 wrote:

Ok you win, you obviously have more time and Google power to go looking for pictures to show me up as the simpleton I am. I have cancelled my Pegoretti order :cry:

:(:(:(:(
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Bit weird those Pegorettis aren't they - they've already got 3cm of head tube sticking out above the top tube already before you even get to the spacers.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • EKIMIKE
    antlaff wrote:

Just moved the seat forward by 20mm sorted the reach - i've a print of the design measurements at work and will check tomorrow, but is the seat tube measured from the BB to the seat pin? if so it measures at 51.5, toptube at 56 and 14 for headtube which are inbetween their geometry settings for 55-57 frames

They could've built it with a 17cm head-tube and maintained the same angle of slope on the top-tube by having a longer seat-tube. You'd still have a fair amount of seatpost.

As it is, the amount of seatpost isn't an issue. It's just that muchos seatpost plus muchos spacers = frame too small.

Either way it'll probably still ride absolutely fine. Maybe a less stiff front end than it could've had but that's about it. Otherwise, it's just bad craftsmanship to build you some thing that is meant to be custom fit, that actually turns out a size too small. For me it's equivalent to the paint job being messed up or building it in alloy instead of Alu. It's a big big mistake if they've measured you up for it. If they just built to the measurements you supplied then fine, they gave you what you wanted.

Anyway, i hope you enjoy it regardless.
  • EKIMIKE
    Rolf F wrote:
    Bit weird those Pegorettis aren't they - they've already got 3cm of head tube sticking out above the top tube already before you even get to the spacers.

When MAMIL buy expensive bikes....
  • antlaff
    EKIMIKE wrote:

They could've built it with a 17cm head-tube and maintained the same angle of slope on the top-tube by having a longer seat-tube. You'd still have a fair amount of seatpost.

As it is, the amount of seatpost isn't an issue. It's just that muchos seatpost plus muchos spacers = frame too small.

Either way it'll probably still ride absolutely fine. Maybe a less stiff front end than it could've had but that's about it. Otherwise, it's just bad craftsmanship to build you some thing that is meant to be custom fit, that actually turns out a size too small. For me it's equivalent to the paint job being messed up or building it in alloy instead of Alu. It's a big big mistake if they've measured you up for it. If they just built to the measurements you supplied then fine, they gave you what you wanted.

Anyway, i hope you enjoy it regardless.

Thats a fair assessment and to be honest if i hadnt posted the pic here i would have been none the wiser. I dont belong to a club but cycle about 130-150m a week and the 40 this morning was some of the most enjoyable i had - even with the 30mph winds,I didnt want to come back in.
    Thanks for the comments
  • markos1963
    Rolf F wrote:

As I understand it Pegoretti reckon that it's better to have the head tube extended above the top tube than to have spacers. It's supposed to be much stronger and provides better front end control.