Race Tyres

johnoakleyallen
johnoakleyallen Posts: 83
edited May 2011 in Amateur race
I've been using a set of Schwalbe Ultremo R1's but after about 400 miles the side walls have split. Someone asked me if I had been training on them aswell as racing, and the answr is yes. Apparently with tyres like this I should only race on them.
Is it common practice to swap out your tyres for racing and training.
The tyres feel amazing so I'll be keen to get another but should I invest in a harder wearing training pair?
They are obviously on my race bike and so never go out in the wet!
Cheers for the responce

Comments

• Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    the tyre is just a piece of rubber - it cannot sense whether you are training or racing. If your tyre are crap, then the sidewalls will split regardless of where or when you are riding...

Not sure what the weather has to do with it - do you not race when it rains..?
  • That is not quite what I mean.
    I love racing on these tyres. But if they will only cover less than 500miles then do people buy a second pair they use when training, which are more durable, and only use the race ones when racing.
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    I generally put last season's race tyres on my training wheels, if that helps...
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    You should get more than 500 miles from a set of tyres. Splitting sidewalls suggest either the tyres were defective or you've done something to them (running at low pressure, poorly set-up brakes rubbing the tyres, etc.).

I train on my race tyres because cos I can't be bothered changing tyres 4 times a week. Currently using Pro 3 Race and get about 2000 miles plus from a set.
    More problems but still living....
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Anything like this (which has affected my ZX's)

Ultremo.jpg

Bascially the threads of mine are coming away from the sidewall
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I can't see anything wrong with that ?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.