newbie to the forum and my new turner flux and other bikes!

fivethirtyonepm
fivethirtyonepm Posts: 165
edited May 2011 in Your mountain bikes
Hi there,

Been hiding out over on STW for a while, so thought I would pop over here for a bit too.

Just took delivery of my new full-custom build Turner Flux care of those nice chaps at Merlin. Spec reads as follows:-

19" raw frame
RP23 shock
RS Rev RLT 20mm Maxle Lite with Poploc adjusted down to 120mm travek
Hope headset (red)
Thomson stem (90mm)
Easton EA70 monkey bars low-rise (white)
Thomson set-back seatpost
Hope QR seat collar (red)
WTB Silverado saddle
Hope Pro II Evo hubs (red) with Stans Crest rims (white) with black DT Comp spokes and brass nipples
Hope rear QR (red) (not shown)
2.25" Snakeskin No'Ni's with Stans tubeless system
Full 2011 10-speed XT groupset including brakes
Shimano 540 SPD's
RT76 rotors (180mm front, 160mm rear)
KCNC (red) chainring bolts (not shown)
Lizard Skin Lock-On grips
Cateye Micro wireless computer (in red/white to match bike)

It's pretty light (I haven't weighed it yet) and the wheels are seriously light. I reckon I could have saved at least 1lb by going with qr RS SID's, but I basically wanted a short-travel Turner 5-spot which is what I have created.

I love it!

IMG00574-20110511-2019.jpg

IMG00575-20110511-2019.jpg

IMG00567-20110511-2016.jpg

IMG00565-20110511-2016.jpg

IMG00568-20110511-2016.jpg

next up, I have my home-build Cannondale F900SL 1x9. This thing absolutely flies around the New Forest. The spec reads as follows:-

Large size Caad5 frame
Marzocchi MX Comp ETA forks
M-Part headset
Easton EA50 stem
FSA Carbon Pro low riser bars
Superstar lock-on grips
FSA Carbon Pro seatpost
Charge Spoon saddle
Blackspire 170mm Freeride Cranks
Blackspire non-ramped 34t chain ring
Superstar XCR chain device (upper)
E-type Shimano bottom-bracket
KCNC gold chainring bolts
Shimano XTR short-cage rear mech with KCNC gold replacement jockey wheels (now replaced with XT short-cage rear mech with same jockey wheels)
SRAM 9-speed cassette with matching chain
Shimano 540 SPD's
Avid Juicy 5 brakes with Alligator gold rotors (160mm front and rear)
Shimano Deore XT hubs with Mavic XC717 black disc rims
Continental Speed King tyres (now running 2.1" rear and 2.3" front)

200798_10150118492171044_534151043_7029968_6612820_n.jpg

Now for the essential single-speed project. Originally bought new by me as a geared On-One Inbred, it now specs as follows:-

Large Inbred frame (vertical drop-out)
RS Tora 318 Solo Air forks with poploc
Shimano Deore discs (160mm front and rear)
Shimano Deore LX cranks (175mm)
FSA unramped 34t chainring
Shimano 545 SPD's
Single-speed sprocket and single-speed chain
Jockey-wheeled chain device tensioned by rear quick-release (works very well indeed)
On-One wheelset (retard rims and On One hubs)
Panaracer Cinder tyres
One One stem (now replaced with Easton EA50), bars and seatpost
Charge Spoon saddle

IMG00528-20110330-2232.jpg

last but not least, I move to the dark side and my lovely (but completely stock Colnago road bike. This is one of the alloy-framed jobbies with a carbon fork, FSA (Colnago-branded) finishing kit, Shimano wheels, and full Tiagra groupset. I haven't got round to pimping this yet as it does exactly what it needs to do. Looks lovely though!

IMG00475-20110309-2012.jpg

thanks for looking :-)

Comments

• cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Hi there,

Been hiding out over on STW for a while

Ewwwww, I hope you had a bath before coming here. :lol:

IMG00565-20110511-2016.jpg

That's a pretty complicated (interesting) looking suspension system on that Turner. I hear they are nice to ride though. Do you have a pic of it from the other side?

Oh, and welcome :D
  • i'll have to go take one, but it's basically an asymmetric stay set-up - e-stay on driveside and conventional on the other.

it's my first full-suss frame since my downhill days and the Dirtworks Monster i used to ride, so i'm still learning about the differences in frame design.

The Fux does ride beautifully though and since dialling in the sag on day 1, i haven't had to play with the pro-pedal or damping adjusters on the rear shock... it climbs like a mountain goat (although the frame was originally designed for 100mm travel, so with 120mm it is a little lighter at the front), rides like a magic carpet downhill and grips like nothing else on rutty singletrack.

With 105mm at the back and 120mm at the front, it's perfect for my usual riding (New Forest) and is more than capable of clattering up and down the Purbecks. It's going to Afan on Friday of next week, so I'll report back then.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    That's a pretty complicated (interesting) looking suspension system on that Turner. I hear they are nice to ride though. Do you have a pic of it from the other side?
    It's a DW link system, which is precisely the same as a Santacruz VPP, or a Whyte/Marin quad-link setup in principle.
    (which ar all fundamentally the same mechanics as a double wishbone system on a car)
    quadlink.jpg
    The difference being that the links are on the seat tube, instead of the downtube as on quadlinks.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Ohhhhhhh I get it now!

With the crank arm and pedal being in the way a bit it threw me (it's easy to do) :lol:

t'is a nice looking bike though.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I do like the newer DW link turners, they look great and ride fanastically well, the flux is the only short travel xc I've ever ridden that I've instantly wanted, top quality frame and IMO the DW link is one of the best designs around. Very nice 8)
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Hmmm liking the white Easton bars...think I will have to get some for my Tomac..
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !