Abusing the Olympic Track

allen.coulson
allen.coulson Posts: 424
edited May 2011 in The hub
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-13490855

So the police have said that no one has used the track at the moment but fear that with the school hols coming up then it may get some attention.

Thanks Bill - hadn't thought of that - I'll send them along...

Comments

• fielonator
    fielonator Posts: 100
    Perhaps my local council could spend a fortune on facilities I'm not allowed to use. I'd like that.
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Doh! Build an MTB track and expect MTB riders not to use it..
    If it's that hallowed why don't they just fence it off? Idiots...
  • I'd love it if someone sneaked on and built some big table tops and gap jumps though... would make it more interesting!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I think we should plan a mass ride there just for fun.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sandy hill
    sandy hill Posts: 390
    During the Dalby commentary this afternoon the chap from the Olympics actually said it needed riding to bed it in and establish a racing line. Sounds to me like he was sending out an open invite?
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
  • lol, I think I read something similar in MBUK too.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'd love it if someone sneaked on and built some big table tops and gap jumps though... would make it more interesting!
    No THAT'S a plan!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    That'd fox the fat chippers riding round it more than the professional athletes surely...
  • mtb crazy
    mtb crazy Posts: 245
    its true that because they have made it more camera friendly that it may not test some, but may still test others on parts. its definately an interesting trail.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Seems like after the event, at best it's going to get its balls chopped off and at worst there'll be no access at all, so, if I was local I'd be getting my legacy riding in first. Some parts look pretty fun (there's already a gap jump in it btw, and I wouldn't ride it on a racy XC bike with the saddle up my bum!)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • njee20 wrote:
    That'd fox the fat chippers riding round it more than the professional athletes surely...

Lets not get started on the whole XC = roadies in lycra on MTB debate... :wink:
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    That must be a joke... it has got some techie bits, but nothing too bad, no worse than any black trail that anyone, with any skill level is open to go and ride at any TC.

And as someone pointed out, it needs to bed in anyway. It NEEDS to be ridden.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    You reckon it has stuff that's steep enough for black?

Then again after recently being back on afan and riding the black there which is a complete jokle to be called black maybe lol
  • njee20
    Tried Thetford black?

There's no definition for black trails, so the black at Thetford is harder than the blue, which is harder than the green. If it was a national standard they'd all be green, but then you'd get people expecting all the trails to be the same.

So to that end, as there's nothing to compare to, you can't really say if it's black rated. Aside from that, it's a race course, not a trail centre, and is designed as such.
  • Thewaylander
    Indeed, it is,

Which is why i can't understand why anyone can be bothered to ride it lol.
  • njee20
    I can't really understand travelling far to get there, but if you're local, why not.
  • Thewaylander
    If your local, poor you really :P
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    :lol:
    I like bikes and stuff
  • njee20
    I'm not, I have far better local riding!

Still, I'd sooner live there than Newport, decent riding can only outweigh extreme economic deprivation so much ;-)
  • Thewaylander
    Really? horrible flat area near london miles from anywhere nice.. :p

Nah lol South wales for the win. Civilization compared to north but still hills!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Civilisation? you call that civilisation? Outside of your cities, you barely have any mobile phone coverage :lol:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    njee20 wrote:
    I'm not, I have far better local riding!

Still, I'd sooner live there than Newport, decent riding can only outweigh extreme economic deprivation so much ;-)

:lol:

I was waiting for the "It's so easy, I could easily beat the fastest professional XC riders in the world round there" comments.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Thewaylander
    :P Yeh but Yee he is from England he wouldn't understand had to keep it simple see :p