Specialized Hardrock Comp

Bikerguy15
Bikerguy15 Posts: 119
edited May 2011 in Your mountain bikes
Hi ya'll!

So here's my bike. I can't remember how much I paid for this now but if I include all of the extras (forks, pedals etc.) it would probably be around £400. Bargin if you ask me :) I really can't complain about the bike at all (apart from the tyres). The geometry, for me is spot on for an XC bike. Specialized shouldn't market this bike as a street/trail bike, it doesn't deserve that status as it handles amazingly through tight singletrack. There is a sublime amount of feedback coming from the rear. You can literally feel and predict every bump and react in accordance to make sure you have the most amount of traction. If i'm honest, I dont think i could possibly have any more fun on a bike which costs a hell of a lot more.

Piccys :D

5740745180_425cae33b0_z.jpg
5740198765_5ce0e3e277_z.jpg
5740748206_032ff6538d_z.jpg
5740756730_40b8ab80c0_z.jpg
5740968966_8884915f70_z.jpg

Comments

• Bikerguy15
    Quick PS.

Could you also rate my photography as well please. any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thank you :)
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    Advised a friend to buy one of these, lovely looking bike. Gotta say, it's looking good sporting the Recons and the other upgrades you've added.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Bikerguy15
    kaytronika wrote:
    Advised a friend to buy one of these, lovely looking bike. Gotta say, it's looking good sporting the Recons and the other upgrades you've added.

Thanks for the response. All feedback is much appreciated.
  • daviebroon
    daviebroon Posts: 15
    That's a 2010 right? Nice looking bike. Thats the colours I wanted, but ended up going for the pro version just for the brakes and shocks. Bit daft on hindsight though... as now got a dull silver thing.

Ive been on my hardrock for about 12 months, but only just getting into trails, and I look the frame. It's really good for throwing around, and as you say gives some great feedback.

What are the shocks like?

As for your photography, difficult to tell with small images like this... but generally nice clean pictures. 350D is a decent camera, not sure of your lens (but you're at 70mm i assume). Id recommend taking off auto white balance as it is destroying your whites, but also drop your auto contract and sharpnes to default. Also, your base ISO was at 200... maybe drop down to 100 which will let you fire faster than 1/200.
  • Bikerguy15
    Thanks for the response daviebroon.

Glad I went for the comp over the pro, I always knew the minor parts like the shocks, pedals etc were going to be short term improvements over stock but I think Specialized know thier customers tend to upgrade parts anyway. If you bought the frame alone it would have been almost half the price so it really is a fair trade off.

The forks I got for about £130 new. Thats about the same as the latest dart 3's so I'm not complaining :D There's not much in the way of low speed compression (I was going to fit the motion control damper anyway so it doesn't matter really) but what your getting is a responsive fork with good rebound damping adjustment and uses almost all it's travel (only about 1/2 a centimetre gap at full bottom out) which is exceptional for a fork at this price. They are also very plush for a coil fork. I would recommend them to anybody looking for a good fork at a low price.

P.S How did you get all the information from my camera?
  • daviebroon
    daviebroon Posts: 15
    don't be scared lol... EXIF data mate. If you look in your flickr album, there is an option to view the EXIF data. It typically tells you every parameter of your cameras settings.
  • shx8000
    shx8000 Posts: 222
    Nice looking bike, and for that price, hell of a bargain.
  • @lexD
    @lexD Posts: 340
    Nice bike,it makes such a difference ditching the OEM sun tour forks and plastic pedals.

Suggest you replace the LK tyres next unless you are primarily using the bike on road. I found that gave me so much more confidence on the trails.
  • I've just bought myself a 2011 Hardrock Pro and I love it! Always had road bikes up till now but I'm loving this mountain bike.

What size frame is this one and what height are you?

My bike feels good to ride, definitely the right size for me, but still feels pretty big. I think this might be because I'm used to road bikes though...?
  • Bikerguy15
    @lexD wrote:
    Suggest you replace the LK tyres next unless you are primarily using the bike on road. I found that gave me so much more confidence on the trails.
    I was planning to switch the tyres round to something a lot better eventually, but I'm going to use what I've got for now. My dad has some Kenda Excavator tyres on his Mongoose Tyax Super. They are extremely grippy and roll surprisingly fast. He always seems to be a little faster on the trials and now I know why :o
    What size frame is this one and what height are you?
    My frame size is 21 inches and I am just about 6ft 1. I did think about downsizing a little to some thing like 19 or 18 inches just for the extra space it gives you to swing the bike around more, but with this frame it's not really needed. It would have left me a little cramped anyway.

In addition, the bike does also feel a little large as I can just touch the ground when I have my seat hight correct. However I think this is commonplace with MTB's as the BB hight tends to be a little higher than on road bikes to reduce the chance of you bashing your chain ring on large rocks etc (I think :wink:)
  • Went out today for a little blast on my Hardrock, fucking love it! Really fun.
  • Bikerguy15
    Went out today for a little blast on my Hardrock, ******* love it! Really fun.
    Same :D Where did you go?
  • Bikerguy15 wrote:

I live in North London so not great for proper mountain biking but I found a park near me which is on a hill so I found some lines there, riding off a band stand into a slight slope which leads through trees and then onto the main hill. Probably less than a minute in total but fun. I had a look around my area for a bit, practiced wheelies, tired myself out and came home happy. I'm going to Swinley Forest next weekend so I'm well excited about that.

Where did you ride?
  • Bikerguy15
    Bikerguy15 wrote:

I live in North London so not great for proper mountain biking but I found a park near me which is on a hill so I found some lines there, riding off a band stand into a slight slope which leads through trees and then onto the main hill. Probably less than a minute in total but fun. I had a look around my area for a bit, practiced wheelies, tired myself out and came home happy. I'm going to Swinley Forest next weekend so I'm well excited about that.

Where did you ride?

Sunday I went to Sherwood pines and just did a lap of the red route. It was quite fun bit it's still not as technical as I'd like. I was looking to also go to Cannock chase and Wharncliffe to do the XC trials. Should be quite fun when I get the chance to ride there :)
  • @lexD
    @lexD Posts: 340
    Bikerguy15 wrote:
    Bikerguy15 wrote:

Where did you ride?

Sunday I went to Sherwood pines and just did a lap of the red route. It was quite fun bit it's still not as technical as I'd like. I was looking to also go to Cannock chase and Wharncliffe to do the XC trials. Should be quite fun when I get the chance to ride there :)

Are you local to sherwood pines? As i am at Eastwood and we are planning a trip to Cannock in the next couple of weeks
  • Bikerguy15
    @lexD wrote:
    Are you local to sherwood pines? As i am at Eastwood and we are planning a trip to Cannock in the next couple of weeks
    Yes I am only about 1/2 an hour away from Sherwood Pines so it isn't really that far away for me to access.Have fun at Cannock :) I've got other commitments that need to be cleared before I am able to go to there. Probably be about a month as I have a lot to get done before July so I am pretty tied up at the moment.