Olympic tickets

usedtobefast
usedtobefast Posts: 145
edited June 2011 in The bottom bracket
Out of curiosity I'm wondering how many poster know they have some Olympic ticket events by seeing the money being taken.

Trainee BC level 2 coach ... and that's offical (30th June 2013)

Scott Addict R4 (2008)
Scott Genius MC30 (2006)
Quest carbon circa 1994 - winter bike
Fuji Track Comp 2010

Comments

• sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Nothing so far.

Have applied for a velodrome session, an athletics session and football at St James Park.

£400+ if all come thru :shock:

Not sure why the money has to be paid in 2011 for an event in 2012 - maybe they need the interest to top the champagne coffers up.
  • Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    I havnet but my mate says he has.

Ive gone for Velo, BMX, MTB and the ceremonies, even if i get one of them i'll be very happy!
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    I've just got all I wanted for the Olympic Stadium and didn't have to pay, from a total of 50,000 free ones on offer.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    £700 if we get everything :shock:
    Football
    Gymnastics
    Swimming
    Athletics x2
    Tennis
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    All the good stuff is free at the olympics.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    Rich9 wrote:
    £700 if we get everything :shock:
    Football
    Gymnastics
    Swimming
    Athletics x2
    Tennis

They interviewed a woman on the radio on deadline day who said she was liable for £20k if she got everything!
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    Is this olympic thing where all the lottery money went?

-Spider-
  • H*Bomb
    H*Bomb Posts: 10
    Just checked and nothing yet :o(

We applied for road race, triathlon, MTB, BMX, few velodrome, few athletics, few gymnastics, boxing, football and opening and closing ceremonies. £1800 if we nail them all, reckon we will get about 40%.

Live in East London, so it would be a shame to miss out.
  • Drysuitdiver
    Drysuitdiver Posts: 474
    Aggieboy wrote:
    I've just got all I wanted for the Olympic Stadium and didn't have to pay, from a total of 50,000 free ones on offer.

yeah but who wants to watch Wet Spam play Doncaster on a wet tuesday in January.

I heard a rumour an executive box was £60k at Wetspam , and there were dearer ones but they didn't face the pitch :)
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    So you would allow Them to take your money before you knew which tickets you had been allocated?

You deserve what you get...
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Cressers wrote:
    So you would allow Them to take your money before you knew which tickets you had been allocated?

You deserve what you get...

Yes, but you'd surely on apply for events you actually want to see! These people youread about on the News who have applied for £20,000 worth of tickets and are worried they won't be able to pay for them if they get selected are just idiots.

I've applied for tickets for two events (cycling and athletics) but I do think the system wasn't that well thought out, and I think that taking the money over a year in advance is a bit cheeky. If it wasn't for such a unique occasion I wouldn't have bothered.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Aggieboy wrote:

yeah but who wants to watch Wet Spam play Doncaster on a wet tuesday in January.

I heard a rumour an executive box was £60k at Wetspam , and there were dearer ones but they didn't face the pitch :)

At last!! :wink:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I was slightly amused by the nutter John Humphries interviewed on the Today programme earlier in the week who had applied for £36,000 worth of tickets, didn't seem to know how his credit card worked, or what he'd do in the nightmare situation of if he got what he'd asked for.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Apparently, there have been 1 million applicants for the 100m final - so good luck with that one.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • usedtobefast
    usedtobefast Posts: 145
    I was slightly amused by the nutter John Humphries interviewed on the Today programme earlier in the week who had applied for £36,000 worth of tickets, didn't seem to know how his credit card worked, or what he'd do in the nightmare situation of if he got what he'd asked for.

I briefly read this story on the BBC website - wasn't the guy some sort of financial advisor as well !! Bloody scary what jobs some people get and how they can cause significant damage to others.

I've only applied for 8 tickets (4 swimming and 4 velodrome) and I'm beginning to think this wasn't enough - oh well you'll see more on the tele box :-)

Does anyone know if you can visit the Olympic park without having a ticket ? I think in Beijing you couldn't even get into the area without a ticket - security fears I guess.

Trainee BC level 2 coach ... and that's offical (30th June 2013)

Scott Addict R4 (2008)
    Scott Genius MC30 (2006)
    Quest carbon circa 1994 - winter bike
    Fuji Track Comp 2010
  • Drysuitdiver
    Drysuitdiver Posts: 474

I briefly read this story on the BBC website - wasn't the guy some sort of financial advisor as well !! Bloody scary what jobs some people get and how they can cause significant damage to others.

I've only applied for 8 tickets (4 swimming and 4 velodrome) and I'm beginning to think this wasn't enough - oh well you'll see more on the tele box :-)

Does anyone know if you can visit the Olympic park without having a ticket ? I think in Beijing you couldn't even get into the area without a ticket - security fears I guess.

there are huge accreditation centres at north and south plazas, all the posters here on the park show crowds watching on big screens in the park so one would assume there will be access tickets for the park. Still gonna watch it on telly at home though- better coverage for a start and i can eat what i want and drink what i want not have to suffer the corporate greed being shoved down my neck
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Still awaiting for my money to be taken.

£730 is my total liability.

2 day/night sessions Velodrome inc. final day

Road Race Final

1 afternoon in Olympic Stadium for athletics, just to say i've been.
  • skdotcom
    skdotcom Posts: 56
    I applied for all the Velodrome sessions and a MTB one. Nothing taken out of my account yet.
    Specialized Sequoia Expert Gravel Bike
    Ribble CGR SL di2 12spd Gravel Bike
    Planet X Spitfire Titanium Road Bike
    Dawes Super Galaxy Tandem
    Boardman Hybrid Team
    Raleigh Equipe Fixie
    Kona Dew Drop
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I'm 100% confident of getting all the tickets I've applied for. :D
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Road Race - Free

I can't think of a single sport that's better in the flesh than on a huge HD TV. Instant rewind, beer, great commentry, beer and the best seats in the house. And, when it rains you still stay dry.

I spent my 'Olympic Money' on a Powertap.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The big rip off continues. If you hold a UK passport you should have got free tickets in proportional system.

I think with all that seems to be with the modern day Olympics is just greed, advertising and big corporations. :cry:

Give me £15 to take part in a Cat 3/4 roadrace anyday.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    I've applied for 4 tickets for the 3 Day Event cross country as that is the only sport all of us were happy to watch but as it is the day after the men's road race I will probably go up the day before to watch that on Box Hill (just hope my sister can fit us all into her shared flat!).
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,226
    Stanley222 wrote:
    I was of the understanding that the ticket allocation was decided by a ballot - why is it then that thousands of people await the decision to see if they have tickets yet most travel agents are offering packages of a night in London including a ticket to certain events!?!

How can it be a ballot if they have already got their corporate hands on the tickets?! My local travel agent is offering a night in a 4* hotel plus the final of the mens track cycling for £680!

The olympics also offered commercial tickets to companies (for a fee), for such packages.
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    It looks like they've debited my account. Well, there's an unknown transaction on my account for today. If it is the Olympic tickets, and not a fraudulent transaction;

Cost of tickets applied for: £1,466.36
    Amount debited: £266.00

I'm guessing I've got about 6 of the 18 events I applied for.
    Less if I've got any of the expensive (popular) events.

Looks like I'm watching a lot on TV or in the park...
  • Allez Mark
    Allez Mark Posts: 364
    Money taken this morning.

Applied for £1600 worth of tickets.

£606 taken from account
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    Nothing yet....Total liability £90 (men's tri, women's tri, family tickets for rowing at Dorney).
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    Applied for £700+, and the grand total of £85 has been taken. Wow! What a fun trip that is going to be. Cant quite work out if its tennis or football at Old Trafford. It was going to be our main hoiliday next year, so thats off :( . I actually hope its the football, then we dont have to trail down south for one day.
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • kaacp
    kaacp Posts: 93
    I've just had £900 charged to my credit card! Can hardly contain myself, dying to know what the events are. Applied for cycling, athletics, boxing, gymnastics, diving....
    Life is like a ten speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.
    Charles M. Schulz
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I haven't had any money taken out of my account yet, oh well. Would have been nice but i'm not that worried, more money to spend on unnecessary shiny bike stuff.

What I don't understand is why they take the money before you know what you've got. I understand that it's a lottery, but surely at the same time they take your money they should e-mail you and say that we've taken x amount and that this is for tickets to x event(s). Every other online payment site sends would send you a confirmation e'mail, seems a bit piss poor.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Only had £51 taken from my account (presumably for one days mountain biking), a bit peeved as I've been involved with the construction of the velodrome and would have liked to have 'been there on the day' as they say. Oh well, maybe they'll let me go for a spin when I visit it tomorrow (ha ha, as if!!)
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~