brake pad choices, what is the difference

fent
fent Posts: 32
edited May 2011 in MTB beginners
Can somone please explain the various different options available for disc pads. resin, sintered, metal, ceramic etc.

I am trying to buy some replacement / upgraded pads & rotors and I am not sure what I can use. My bike (spech hard rock pro which is just something cheap to get me started) states it can only use resin pads on the rotor. I use the bike for commuting and trail centres regularly so I think I may like to upgrade

1) what is the difference between the various options

2) RT splines? what is this. How do I know what fits my bike?

3) is there anything else I need to consider

Thanks

Mark
and this was supposed to be my 'cheaper' hobby
Orange Alpine for fun, Spesh hard rock for off road commute and maybe a road bike too soon.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Organic pads tend to offer the sharpest stoping but wear the fastest. Sintered pads las longer but may not be as powerful, while kevlar pads are sort of in the middle.

Just google the make of your brake for comptible pads.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • fent
    ok, so have I got this right?

Resin pads are another name for organic pads. then there is also kevlar, sintered and ceramic.

From a google search i heard that resin pads were ok for commuting and light use but were not that great for the more serious stuff. 'Supersonic' are you saying that the braking from resin pads is quite good? now i'm confused.

i have tried a google search but my brakes are shimano deore brm 445 and I don't seem to find any result for this when looking on the usual web stores. All offer 515's and 525's

Also, to make it even more complicated, my rotors seem to fit with 6 bolts directly onto the hubs and not via a splined fitting

.... bloody bikes, never simple is it
    Orange Alpine for fun, Spesh hard rock for off road commute and maybe a road bike too soon.
  • andrewjoseph
    Resin pads can be very good, but, depending on conditions, don't last as long. I've read that on some downhill races, the riders will use resin, as that gives better braking, but need to change pads between runs.

I have found that resin pads are good for the riding i do, but last at most a few weeks. i now use sintered pads, still good braking but pads now last a few months.

Disco brakes do a wide selection of brake pads. I'm not familiar with your brakes but they may use the same pads are other shimano models.

6 bolt and splined rotors won't affect braking ability or pads, it's just the way they are attached to the hub.
    --
  • fent
    Cheers andrew, that's really helpful.

So basically theres nothing wrong with the performance of the resin pads but if i do start to find that I'm getting through them quickly then i can change to sintered for longer life (changing to suitable rotors too).

if that's the case then i'll stick with resin for now as I seem to be getting decent life out of mine.

I'll Save some cash then and put it towards a more serious bike ;)
  • andrewjoseph
    You don't need to change rotors to use sintered, unless you have coated rotors that specifically say that. Some brake manufactures used to state warranty was void if sintered pads used.
    --
  • fent
    my rotors state "use resin pads only" which is one of the reasons why i am trying to find out more about this.
  • andrewjoseph
    From the little research I've just done I think it is just a standard rotor. i don't know why they state resin only, apart from risking overheating with sintered brakes.

I used sintered pads on my deore brakes in the past with no ill effects.
    --
  • mtb crazy
    mtb crazy Posts: 245
    can someone explain what all these types of brake pads are? finding it all abit confusing thanks.
  • andrewjoseph
    mtb crazy wrote:
    can someone explain what all these types of brake pads are? finding it all abit confusing thanks.

There is a link further up the thread to a page on my website that explains a little.
    --