The End of Days: 21/5/2011

Crapaud
Crapaud Posts: 2,483
edited May 2011 in The bottom bracket
Family Radio evangelist Harold Camping believes that he has calculated the exact date of the rapture: May 21, 2011. While many are laughing at the suggestion, Camping’s followers are taking him seriously, bringing his message of impending doom to billboards and public spaces around the country. What does your tradition teach about the end of the world? How does end time theology impact real world behavior?
Richard Dawkins' response:
Why is a serious newspaper like the Washington Post giving space to a raving loon? ...
Go Richard, go!
:lol:
See you all on the 22nd.
A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill

Comments

• Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Awwwwe! It was going to be my birthday on the 23rd. :cry:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Damn and blast!

I have paid in advance for a holiday beginning on the 21st.
    Will insurance pay out I wonder? :wink::wink::wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    will I notice?
  • Moontrane
    Moontrane Posts: 233
    Awwwwe! It was going to be my birthday on the 23rd. :cry:

Ah, my late Padre's birthday. Mine's the 21st.
    Infinite diversity, infinte variations
  • Moontrane
    Moontrane Posts: 233
    matthew h wrote:
    will I notice?

You most assuredly will not. Nothing to see here; move along.
    Infinite diversity, infinte variations
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Moontrane wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    will I notice?

More importantly - will the wife notice?
  • Crapaud
    matthew h wrote:
    will I notice?
    You will if you're sitting on the pan and suddenly raise up bodily into heaven. They don't tell you about that in Revelations/
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    US preacher warns end of the world is nigh: 21 May, around 6pm, to be precise

Harold Camping said:
    "He says the world will end on 21 May, because that will be 722,500 days from 1 April AD33, which he believes was the day of the Crucifixion. The figure of 722,500 is important because you get it by multiplying three holy numbers (five, 10 and 17) together twice. "When I found this out, I tell you, it blew my mind," he said."

ah, well............ must be true then !!

F*cking nutter !!!
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • buddha
    buddha Posts: 1,088
    MattC59 wrote:
    ...Harold Camping said:
    "He says the world will end on 21 May, because that will be 722,500 days from 1 April AD33, which he believes was the day of the Crucifixion. The figure of 722,500 is important because you get it by multiplying three holy numbers (five, 10 and 17) together twice. "When I found this out, I tell you, it blew my mind," he said."...]
    Who's the fool then? :wink:
    <center><font size="1"><font color="navy">Lardy</font id="navy"><font color="blue"> | </font id="blue"><font color="navy">Madame de Pompadour</font id="navy"></font id="size1"></center>
  • daviesee wrote:
    Damn and blast!

Act of "God", insurance computer says NO!... *smirk*
  • deptfordmarmoset
    deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
    Apparently Rome was supposed to have an earthquake yesterday ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raffaele_Bendandi ) and all that happened was that lots of people took the day off work and headed for the countryside. Sounds like a cunning ruse for an extra May holiday to me.
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    No dopubt this prediction will be as wide of the mark as the expected earthquake in Rome yesterday.
  • Apparently Rome was supposed to have an earthquake yesterday ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raffaele_Bendandi )

Spain just got hit with one? Spooky or just bad geography skills? I mean maps back in those days were hardly OS standards and it's a bit before Garmin times...
  • Crapaud
    Apparently Rome was supposed to have an earthquake yesterday ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raffaele_Bendandi )

Spain just got hit with one? Spooky or just bad geography skills? I mean maps back in those days were hardly OS standards and it's a bit before Garmin times...
    Are you suggesting that the rapture might miss the US and hit, say, the atlantic?

I blame Save the Whale (or Wiggle)
  • Crapaud wrote:
    Apparently Rome was supposed to have an earthquake yesterday ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raffaele_Bendandi )

Are you suggesting that the rapture might miss the US and hit, say, the atlantic?

I blame Save the Whale (or Wiggle)

I'm a devout sarcastic atheist, I don't believe in none of this fairytale sh1t, Rapture to me was a good vocal dance track by IIO. :)
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    I'll hold off buying the wife's birthday prezzy, that's on the 22nd.
    Mine's Sunday, so I'm OK! :D
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    daviesee wrote:
    Damn and blast!

Act of "God", insurance computer says NO!... *smirk*

But I am a Hindu*. How does that work?

* or maybe not. Quite possibly an aethiest though so "God" does not apply. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Are Labour taking over from the coalition on the 21st?
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    I have just signed for HD for a year :evil:
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Damn!.....it's my wedding anniversary and in a departure from previous years I've already bought my wife's present :roll:
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    All the Maggie haters can have a party. Oh, wait a minute........................
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    MattC59 wrote:
    Harold Camping said:
    The figure of 722,500 is important because you get it by multiplying three holy numbers (five, 10 and 17) together twice. "When I found this out, I tell you, it blew my mind," he said."

ah, well............ must be true then !!

F*cking nutter !!!

Why multiply twice? Or has the world ended already and this is just a peplay of an old event?

-Spider-
  • Drysuitdiver
    Drysuitdiver Posts: 474
    5, 10 and 17 ????

now 3 12 and 40 as holy numbers i could see but the first l;ot ??/ and why twice??

if it does happen i will be annoyed as i will have just finished decorating the living room and dining room.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Honestly I can't believe these idiots, it's clearly obvious the world has ended already we're in the bloody Matrix!
  • dvdfoz
    dvdfoz Posts: 62
    Don't forget, all ends tomorrow, so have a few and don't worry about the hangover

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13468131
    He has more than 250 clients who are paying up to $135 (£83) to have their pets picked up and cared for after the rapture.

They would be disappointed twice, he told the Wall Street Journal. "Once because they weren't raptured and again because I don't do refunds."
    Dalston --> Canary Wharf, and all pubs inbetween
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    Should I feed the cat?

-Spider-
  • Crapaud
    -spider- wrote:
    Should I feed the cat?
    Yes.

It seems it's not quite as simple as I'd suspected.
    ... Nonbelievers will endure five months of plagues, quakes, wars, famine and general torment before the planet’s total destruction in October. ...
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Moontrane wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    will I notice?

Ha! Actually he will notice, because tomorrow is only going to be the rapture when Jesus takes the true believers to heaven. The atheists aren't going to be killed off until October.

So now how looks stupid? :wink:
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Well, I don't know about you lot but I'm going to put a £100 on it all ending. If it comes up I'll be able to buy a new bike. :wink::lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    edited May 2011
    johnfinch wrote:
    Moontrane wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    will I notice?

Ha! Actually he will notice, because tomorrow is only going to be the rapture when Jesus takes the true believers to heaven. The atheists aren't going to be killed off until October.
    So now how looks stupid? :wink:

Us atheists don't care........ Ohhhhhhh, God!!!!! (clicky) :lol:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."