Lidl bike stuff

father_jack
father_jack Posts: 3,509
edited May 2011 in Road beginners
Say... That's a nice bike..
Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)

Comments

• Thanks, would never have thought of Lidl for cycling stuff.
    Fast Hybrid: Looking for a first road bike
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    I like these hehe

UK_58863_01_b.jpg
  • Looks like the Aldi stuff was better tbh. Although the socks are cheaper!
    Allez 16 - bad weather / turbo trainer
    Tarmac Expert SL3 - test colours
    Dogma 2 - ex Team Sky
  • hypno-strobe
    Fast Hybrid: Looking for a first road bike
  • quite like the look of the chain cleaner and gloves and the tool kit, if it last long is another matter
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • rich164h
    rich164h Posts: 433
    Does anyone know if the tool kit is any good?
  • father_jack
    May get a couple of those spoke reflectors one for tourer other for trailer, tool kit, handlebars.

If I do get tool kit I'll be selling off the things already have - chain whip, chain tool.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Waht - no jerseys? Have got one of theirs and am well pleased with it, perfectly decent

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • father_jack
    Got plenty of short and long sleeve jerseys, aldi ones not as good fit as my cinelli or GT, but do for £7 each. Could do with a summer jacket (not wind proof) only got one, did try aldi's but they the arms tiny, chest huge like a tent. Will try lidl's
  • OwenB
    OwenB Posts: 606
    I got the tool kit a couple of years back, most of it's pretty good for the price, the only thing that's really rubbish is the chain splitter which split before the chain did when I tried to use mine.
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    The tool kit has been fine for me. I've had to replace the crank puller and the pin spanner, but both of these did a couple of years service before dying completely
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    The Aldi stuff is always better imo ...
  • hokum
    hokum Posts: 30
    My local Lidl are also doing compression tops at the moment, t-shirts and vests. I don't have anything to compare against but they seem decent quality, though the sleeves on the tee are quite loose (or maybe I just don't have enough muscle).
  • father_jack
    Will get the toolkit, noticed it has BB and cassette removal tool, I assume will be for Shimano, and need a set of those (and those are about £6-£8 a piece)
  • Hierotochan
    Hierotochan Posts: 108
    Think I'll have a tool kit, maybe a chain cleaner too.
    What do you guys recon to the padded shorts?
    Welcome to Hoogerland, Population: Heroes.

Danny Hart; How does he sit down with balls that big?
  • wombar
    wombar Posts: 119
    Yeah as others have said, the tool kit is pretty decent. Chain splitter is made of cheese, so don't rely on it, and the tyres levers aren't up to much.

Other than that, I've found the rest of the tools to be spot on. I've changed a couple of bottom brackets and cassettes, and done various maintenance around my bike with no issues. It's really just a cheap way to get most of the tools to maintain a bike. If you find you enjoy it, you can buy better stuff as you need it.
  • adnewall
    adnewall Posts: 22
    Which tool kit are you guys going for - the £5 or the £25?
    VirtuosoFury – FCN 6
  • Hierotochan
    edited May 2011
    I was looking @ the £25 one, seeing as I could spend that on one Park Tool!

More than anything I was hoping that it would include a tool for removing the rear group, the BB would be handy too. I like to do my own repairs on most things so as long as I read up on whatever it is first I'm confident I won't damage anything. :?

• Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    That tool kit is exactly the same as I bought from them 6 years ago...Maintained a fleet of family bikes, 2 bike builds and still going strong - Buy it! :lol:
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    I was looking @ the £25 one, seeing as I could spend that on one Park Tool!

More than anything I was hoping that it would include a tool for removing the rear group, the BB would be handy too. I like to do my own repairs on most things so as long as I read up on whatever it is first I'm confident I won't damage anything. :?

If you have a Shimano groupset and don't have external bottom bracket cups, this will do just about everything you need.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • father_jack
    Think it comes with Shimano BB cup remover...

http://i39.tinypic.com/35it1mc.jpg

My allen key is missing the smallest one in the set, all like that or just mine?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    The tool kit is adequate quality but be careful because it isn't great
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Hierotochan
    I went and had a look earlier and decided against it.
    It's not that it's bad quality of dosn't have the right bits, it seems to.
    It's just I'm still waiting on my C2Work voucher to arrive & I'm going to add the £25 I would have spent on the tools to my shoe budget.
    I've been able to build & maintain my BMX with the tools I have so far, and (hopefully) I'll get more time/use out of better shoes than the 1 or 2 bits I don't have that are in the kit.

Plus I'll have the first service free, which should tide me over until I can plump for more bits!

I did get 2 pairs of the socks & the chain cleaner.
    The socks are a little different to the Aldi ones I bought,
    they have a funny little tab at the back of the ankle. Maybe to stop then sinking down the back of your shoes?

Oh & I figured I'd spend more on lube + cleaner than on the whole chain cleaner pack anyway so couldn't resist!

• Thebigbee
    Thebigbee Posts: 570
    The saddle bag tool kit looks similar to the one that Aldi were doing a few weeks back.

Good deal. The one I got from Aldi was one of the best buys I have made for my bike.
  • Chris McG
    Chris McG Posts: 189
    Some of this stuff is fairly decent... I've got an allen key set and some socks which are both great... :)
    "Orbea, Bianchi, Ridley, Van Nicholas, Planet X, Niner. My Euro-bike menagerie was going well up to the last 2..."