Helmet crack...

trail jacker
trail jacker Posts: 844
edited May 2011 in MTB general
Hi,

I have just noticed a crack in my helmet, which I think must have come from a little incident a few months ago, in which I locked up on a muddy off-camber sloped corner and went into a tree. My head took most of the impact but I wasn't going ridiculously fast so just carried on and took a paracetamol.
The crack I have noticed is on the front part of the helmet just behind the visor and it is literally a hairline crack in the polystyrene, the shell is fine.

Sooooo....should I get a new helmet? Or is my current hairline cracked one still ok?

Thanks!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    new.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • If you have to ask then the answer is to get a new one.
    If you weren't going that fast and landed gently(-ish) then why would you need to take paracetamol... you either hit harder than you think, or you've got a really low pain threshold!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Replace it. It's done it's job, it won't necessarily do it again.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • MattJWL
    MattJWL Posts: 147
    Yep, replace. You might find that the manufacturer has a crash replacement policy & gives you an advantageous rate on a new one.
    Intense Carbine SL
    "Chinarello"
    Taylor Made
    Off to pastures new:
    CELL Team Pro
    Intense Spider FRO
    Giant XTC Composite Clone
    1992 Fisher Al-1
    1990 Raleigh Mirage
    1988 Cloria Italian MTB
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Replace. It's not really worth the risk is it?! :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • trail jacker
    Yeah looking back maybe I was going a faster than I thought, espesh since paracetamol was needed...
    Its a Bell Variant helmet, does anyone know how I would contact Bell for a crash replacement dealio?
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Replace it.

I change mine every three years or so, even if I haven't knowingly bashed it hard.
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't think Bell do crash replacements, but just replaced mine a few months ago as it did it's job and I got my money's worth.
    Bought an identical one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hi,
    I have just noticed a crack in my helmet

Oh my god, now THAT is an eye watering injury.
  • trail jacker
    Yeah I couldn't find any thing on crash replacements for Bell, just ordered a new Giro!
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    Get a new one!

The helmet is much weaker now and regardless of the cost of a new one (if you don't get a new for old replacement) your head is the most important thing.
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • cooldad
    mikeyj28 wrote:
    Get a new one!

The helmet is much weaker now and regardless of the cost of a new one (if you don't get a new for old replacement) your head is the most important thing.
    Keep up. You may notice in the post before yours he bought a new one.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • baconater
    baconater Posts: 72
    i dented mine and got a new one from halfords for £40 and its a much better fit than the first helmet i ever had, at the moment the government is saying about not having to wear one, but my helmet saved my life so bin the lid and get a new one i say
    Yesterday is History, Tomorrow a Mystery, Today is a Gift, Thats why it's called the Present

so im grabbing my bike and going for a ride
  • baconater
    baconater Posts: 72
    edited May 2011
    sorry for double posting
    Yesterday is History, Tomorrow a Mystery, Today is a Gift, Thats why it's called the Present

so im grabbing my bike and going for a ride
  • 70s_kid
    70s_kid Posts: 56
    Yeah I couldn't find any thing on crash replacements for Bell, just ordered a new Giro!

I know you've bought a new one now, but just out of interest..

http://www.madison.co.uk/bell/
  • trail jacker
    70s_kid wrote:

I know you've bought a new one now, but just out of interest..

ah......sh*t.

haha no biggie, only a 5er more for the Giro, heard they have better ventilation anyway.... every cloud.
  • cooldad
    Nice to know, but I don't keep invoices for those sort of amounts anyway, and would only have saved me £2. Hardly worth the bother.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Just polish it out with some T-Cut

Done.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Bit of isopon and she'll be right.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Seems to be that Bell and Giro are dealt with by the same company.

http://www.madison.co.uk/giro/

Though with Giro I found the discount prices they offer aren't much better than the discounted prices you can find on the net anyway, and you are limited to a replacement of the exact same model or nearest to it if it's no longer available. Okay if you want to replace with the same though.