Budget trailer

Daviek
Daviek Posts: 19
We are currently looking for a budget trailer that holds 2 kids. We have seen a few doing our own research on the net but would like to hear anybodies experiences with trailers around the £100 mark.

As with everything budgets can increase as well as decrease :D

Comments

• motopatter
    motopatter Posts: 179
    I didn't realise they were so expensive! I am sure I got my Avon 2 bike trailer a few years ago brand new for under £60

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Avenir-Avon-Alloy ... 619wt_1139

I like the Avon although the harness and seat arrangement did mean my lad when younger would slip down a bit, and when he fell asleep it looked pretty uncomfortable, but he did sleep. We put in cusions/pillows.
    Also I had to re-stitch a join (it was at a point where a screw went through the fabric).
    The floor in the compartment has a bit of board in it, but isn't a 'hard floor'.
    Also it attaches by clamping the chainstay so I'm a little worried I do it up too tight and may damage my bike.

Plus points are it really is light. The boy loves it. I can carry all the gear for 3 of us and picnic and teddy bears. Tows nicely (although I have nothing to compare). Means we could all get out for a cycle together.

I have never used it as a stroller, and it wasn't bought with that intention though.

Really happy with it for the money I paid, but it's only really had light trouble free use on an old disused railway. However it will be used again when the next bun in the oven is old enough :D
    wave your willy here !!!! :)
  • Daviek
    Daviek Posts: 19
    Thanks for the reply,

We are trying to figure the best way for our 3 to tag along with us on bike runs. All under 5, so we thought maybe a trailer and a bike seat but I do like the look of a trailgator so not sure what we will end up with.
  • motopatter
    motopatter Posts: 179
    had a trail gator but realized it wouldn't fit my full susser as the kids front wheel needs to be suspended apprx 3" off the ground and 4.5" of travel :oops:

I now have a tag a long like this- (it works fine on my I-drive with the 4" rear travel)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Childs-Trailer-Bi ... 500wt_1156

mine folds in half for transportation.

I got it 2nd hand off ebay for around £20 and the axle is a bit buckled, but not so much I've bothered to fix it yet, although the chain tension is a bit tight at one point.

I pick my just 5 year old up every day from the childminder and he loves it. Sometimes we take a longer 'offroad' route home.
    wave your willy here !!!! :)
  • bdave262000
    bdave262000 Posts: 270
    Daviek wrote:
    Thanks for the reply,

We are trying to figure the best way for our 3 to tag along with us on bike runs. All under 5, so we thought maybe a trailer and a bike seat but I do like the look of a trailgator so not sure what we will end up with.

We have three under 6's. Have a trailor and child seat on mine and the wife has a trailgator for the oldest. The trailor is one of the cheap jobs you see on ebay crica £60, the build quality is not the best but it does the job and has lasted all three kids. We can fit the two girls in the trailor but it gets a bit cramped for them on longer rides. I reckon I'm pulling about 60kg extra load (including picnic, drinks, etc), its fairly easy going on the flats but as soon as I hit any sort of hill I need to put in some serious leg work to keep the thing moving. I use my old Trek 4300 as it seems pretty bomb proof but I do wonder how much strain the chain can take before its goes snap. Its important that the Trailgator is set up correctly otherwise the childs bike leans to the side.We normally head up to Richmond Park I have tried cycling up the hill from Robin Hood to kingston gate on the cycle / pedestrian trak but I literally came to a stand still about half way up with my back wheel spinning in the dirt.
    Fat lads take longer to stop.