Upgraded Giant SCR3

Rod11
Rod11 Posts: 293
edited May 2011 in Your road bikes
HI guys. Bought my first road bike, a Giant SCR3, for £430 in 2008. Since then, I've spent around £340 upgrading the components on it, so now the only original parts are the frame and forks and the seatpost. The Bontrager parts came off a Trek that I was recently given. Interestingly, to buy the equivalent bike now, the Defy 2, it costs about £720, almost the same amount I've spent to get a much better bike. I'm currently saving up for a new frame, got about £1000, so open to any suggestions. I must say, I'm not really a cyclist, I just cycle for cross training, but I love it!

Frame: 2008 Giant SCR3
Forks: 2008 GIatn SCR3
Bars: Cinelli Vai Palm 44cm
Stem: BBB Carbonforce 110mm
Headset:
Bar Tape: Fizik Microtex
Saddle: Prologo Choice Ti 1.4

Front Brake Lever:
Front Caliper:
Rear Brake Lever:
Rear Caliper:

Shifters: Ultegra SL
Front Mech: Shimano 105 5600
Rear Mech: Ultegra 6700

Chainset: Bontrager 39/52
Chain: SRAM PC850
Cassette: Shimano 105 12-27 10sp
Pedals: Shimano R540
Bottom Bracket: Cartridge

Wheels:

Accessories: Carbon bottle cages, Halfords wireless computer

5725363215_5d54f276ce.jpg

5725366253_e72202332b.jpg

5725932558_9d4c78095e.jpg

5725926394_9d30e571e8.jpg

5725924936_cd03cfe407.jpg

5725927912_14f5412981.jpg

5725372469_50bf41bd16.jpg

5725931038_ab4e932de8.jpg

Comments

• Kona21
    Kona21 Posts: 107
    Some very good parts on there for the money ! 8)

A new frame for under a £1000 you say... http://www.canyon.com/_uk/outlet/list.h ... frame_race
    Under the outlet section, there just last years frame at very good prices. Or look for something secondhand.

Pete
    Opera Super Leonardo
    Campag Super Record 11
    Corima Aero + wheels
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12777242
  • saintdracula
    saintdracula Posts: 232
    On account of its name, arguably the best bike here.
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    I would suggest that you are perhaps a little too focused on the parts on your bike. You seem not to know the first thing about setting your machine up correctly ... saddles should be level or almost level, and your levers seem very low on the bars. Plenty of guides on the internet in respect of bike set-up.
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    I would suggest that you are perhaps a little too focused on the parts on your bike. You seem not to know the first thing about setting your machine up correctly ... saddles should be level or almost level, and your levers seem very low on the bars. Plenty of guides on the internet in respect of bike set-up.

A bit harsh but I would have to agree that's one crazy looking bike. Weird seat angle, miles of seat post and low hoods.
  • HTL
    HTL Posts: 23
    Who cares what it looks like to others pal, if you find it comfy and you are suffering no injuries from doing so crack on with it the way it is. :)
  • lemoncurd
    HTL wrote:
    Who cares what it looks like to others pal, if you find it comfy and you are suffering no injuries from doing so crack on with it the way it is. :)

I imagine that the OP cares what it looks like, he's posted lots of pictures of his bike on a cycling forum and has spent money and time upgrading it.

If you're comfortable on it then fair enough, leave it as it is, doesn't look comfortable though.
  • Rod11
    Yes I know it does look quite weird, I have the hoods quite low because I find them to be comfy here for climbing, and I hardly ever have my hands on top of them when just cycling along. The saddle's at an angle because I'd literally just put it on for the photo and hadn't set it up at all!
  • lemoncurd
    The majority of cyclists use the hoods when just cruising along, try lifting them and see how you get on with it, you'll find that they will still be in a great place for climbing.

If you don't like it then just pop them back again (assuming you haven't tried this already).

Also worth looking at one of the many bike fit calculators that are on the web, you may be comfortable now but even more comfortable once you've given the bike a tweak.

Enjoy 8)
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    What are those brakes?
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    SCR Pedro wrote:
    What are those brakes?

Planet X
    More problems but still living....
  • SCR Pedro
    I didn't realise Planet X did deep drop brakes. I might check them out.
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • Rod11
    SCR Pedro wrote:
    What are those brakes?
    Sorry, forgot to put them in the spec list. Here they are here http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/BCP ... e-calipers
    They also do CNC versions which are £110
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    SCR Pedro wrote:
    I didn't realise Planet X did deep drop brakes. I might check them out.

I don't think they are deep drop - the OP has the pads as low as they'll go by the looks of it so they only just work.
    More problems but still living....
  • SCR Pedro
    Planet X must go a little deeper than most. I wasn't able to get Shimano 105 calipers to go low enough, although I don't think the SCR frame needs the whole 57mm that deep drop gives.

How are they, compared to the standard calipers?
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • Rod11
    They're much much better than the standard ones, bit of a pain to set up though, great once they are. They're also lighter than DA callipers, if that matters to you.
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    If you can stretch your budget a bit (and they have your size left) these are a real steal http://www.wiggle.co.uk/giant-tcr-advan ... eset-2010/
  • yenrod
    yenrod Posts: 135
    lemoncurd wrote:
    The majority of cyclists use the hoods when just cruising along, try lifting them and see how you get on with it, you'll find that they will still be in a great place for climbing.

If you don't like it then just pop them back again (assuming you haven't tried this already).

Also worth looking at one of the many bike fit calculators that are on the web, you may be comfortable now but even more comfortable once you've given the bike a tweak.

Enjoy 8)

Obviously the set-up works for Jack - I have mine in a similiar position.
    [;)] 'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]