Firefox problems

supersonic
supersonic Posts: 82,708
edited May 2011 in The hub
I have just got the latest firefox version, but it refuses to display Bikeradar. I just get ablank white page, it doesn't even seem to attempt to load it. URL is correct. Works fine on IE7. Any ideas?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    delete your cookies.

Works fine for me without doing anything 4.0.1
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    It has worked, but a bit of a ballache, got multiple error messages! ALso the bloody font still wont change lol
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Did that for me ages ago. Not really sure why it stopped, but going into the settings and deleting just the cookies for Bikeradar did the trick for a couple of hours.
  • you always have problems with your browsers!

Stop downloading filthy pictures of GT's!

On another note... why stick with Firefox?
  • supersonic
    No reason, I thought the latest version might have solved some problems with it. Unfortunately not.

Will work through them! IE just seems to have gone from reasonably quick to horrificly slow.
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    Chrome.

slainte :wink: rob
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Weird, all works perfectly for me in Firefox 4.0.1 on both Windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.04 running from a portable HDD.

Try completely unnistalling Firefox from Control Panel, the delete all folders from it in C:\Program Files, and then reinstalling, although this may be overkill.

Alternatively you could try deleting the C:\Windows\System32 folder :wink:

Do NOT follow the above advice. Ever. Unless you want a large PC shaped doorstop
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • supersonic wrote:
    No reason, I thought the latest version might have solved some problems with it. Unfortunately not.

Will work through them! IE just seems to have gone from reasonably quick to horrificly slow.

You sure its not your pc? when was the last time you did a restore?
  • supersonic
    Yesterday ;-). All cleaned, defragged and sorted.
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    Buy a mac, problem solved!

:lol:

awaits the mac vs pc debate to begin!
  • toby_winkler
    toby_winkler Posts: 1,298
    pHz wrote:
    Chrome.

slainte :wink: rob

I agree.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I get the blank screen periodically, it generally means no more BR for that day but usually resolves when my machine restarts (which it does nightly)
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Have you installed service pack 2 on your windows 89 yet :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    clearing cookies sorted me out (it just happened)
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • PXR5
    PXR5 Posts: 203
    I'm using Firefox 4.01 here at work and at home, not seen any problems - however just about every time i close the internet browser i also delete the history - which gets rid of cookies etc every time, don't know where i picked up this habit from, but maybe its a good one...
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....
  • Clark3y
    Clark3y Posts: 129
    Has always happened on FF on this site, not just v4. Once a month or so, clear session cookies, fixed.
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    Clark3y wrote:
    Has always happened on FF on this site, not just v4. Once a month or so, clear session cookies, fixed.
    me too, firefox does mot like BR!
    chrome is too laggy on crunchbang (ubuntu variant).
    epiphany is very fast, bit has very few features..
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've always intermittently had that problem on my Desktop PC and Firefox, but never on my laptop running the same OS and same version of FF.

I put it down to computers being weird.
  • Anonymous
    On the subject of other browsers I'm a big fan of Opera.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    browser_celebrities.png

My FF has always worked first time, all the way from version 2 up until the latest 4.0.1. I delete cookies and stuff every month or two if that.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    delete your cookies.

Yep, I have to clear bikeradar's cookies once a month with firefox but have zero other problems with it anywhere else. I'm a programmer who develops web apps for a living and find Firefox causes fewer issues than any other browser (especially any Microsoft browser!).

I suspect it's due to the high volume of posts on this board but haven't delved any further. I think a tweak to the board setup may cure it. But as I say I've not tried to debug it myself.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Anonymous
    rowlers wrote:
    Clark3y wrote:
    The world would be an awesome place if everybody was as counterculture and uber-cool as you are, with your anti-mainstream choices.
  • Anonymous
    rowlers wrote:
    Clark3y wrote:
    The world would be an awesome place if everybody was as counterculture and uber-cool as you are, with your anti-mainstream choices.

If no one was prepared to step out side the mainstream and use/develop different software we'd all still be using Internet Explorer and nothing else.

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

What browser are you using then chap?
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    If no one was prepared to step out side the mainstream and use/develop different software we'd all still be using Internet Explorer and nothing else.

A scary thought!
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Anonymous
    RichardSwt wrote:

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

What browser are you using then chap?
    Surely you mean we'd all still be using Unix based or Unix compatible systems... Oh, wait.

I use Ie9, Firefox, Opera and Chrome. In that order pf preference, generally.
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    my browser depends on what site i'm visiting...
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • Anonymous
    Surely you mean we'd all still be using Unix based or Unix compatible systems... Oh, wait.

"Oh wait." - Looks like you forgot to finish your argument there...

You have also contradicted yourself by now talking about a technology that at the time was outside the 'norm' and possibly considered "counterculture and uber-cool".

And what about the concept of the World Wide Web, I suspect you may have once commented on how Tim Berners-Lee was "counterculture and uber-cool".

So much of today's technology may once have been considered "counterculture and uber-cool". You first choice of browser's company was started by a geek in a garage who set up Microsoft by maxing out all his credit cards and who's partner was a fellow geek still at university. At the time the thought of a computer as almost a domestic appliance was unheard of.

My point is that what you conceive as "counterculture and uber-cool" may just be the next-big-thing you'll be bragging about using tomorrow.
  • Anonymous
    Ah man. You freakazoids are so easy to wind up. It's just hysterical. :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Ah man. You freakazoids are so easy to wind up. It's just hysterical. :lol:

I think what you mean is your little troll mind is all out of 'clever thoughts' so you'll resort to chatting crap again.

Oh no wait, I've fallen in to your oh-so-clever trap again. What am I like?
  • Anonymous
    Dude, I didn't even insult you. But I've met plenty of folk like you, you cannot take anyone mentioning your choice of software (and that's all it is, a choice of software, get over yourself) without exploding. :lol:

You're the one who flew off the handle, so just sit back, drop a valium or two, and maybe consider some of the things in life that are more important, eh?
    There's a good little geek.