Handlebar Grips Help

F27
F27 Posts: 10
edited May 2011 in MTB buying advice
I want to change my grips on my Specialized MTB. When shopping online most grips have no information on length, thickness or hole diameter which is crazy! So basically...

Do all handlebars have a standard tube diameter?

Do all grips therefore fit that standard?

How do you remove stock molded end grips (ones without a locking cap)?

I'm thinking of getting Specialized Rocca Grips, has anyone had any experience with them?

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes unless a kids bike.

most do.

compressed air/knife or lots of hard work.

no idea.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    Removing grips is pretty straightforward if you have a can of WD40 and a small screwdriver.
    Cover the screwdriver in WD40 and work it under the grip.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    Removing grips is pretty straightforward if you have a can of WD40 and a small screwdriver.
    Cover the screwdriver in WD40 and work it under the grip.

I used to do it using this method but you need to be very careful not to score or mark the bar with the screwdriver.

Much easier is to get stanley out and carefully run him down the length of the grip without going right thru, then 'peel' the old grip off and clean bar with WD/GT etc.

Then buy lock-on grips and job done....No exp of Roco grips. Grips are a very personal thing but most folk ae happy with superstar/ Peaty's/odi etc.....
  • F27
    Thanks for the replies, I guess grips are something you really have to try and buy in a shop. Its pretty silly that there are no specs for these things online.
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    Do youself a favour and opt for Superstar or peatys F27, you wont be disapointed with lock-ons :lol:
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    superstar grips very good for the money.
  • nicklouse
    F27 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies, I guess grips are something you really have to try and buy in a shop. Its pretty silly that there are no specs for these things online.

how do you mean?

what are you looking for?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • F27
    nicklouse wrote:
    how do you mean?

what are you looking for?

All the grips I'm looking at in online shops don't have any specs, they don't even tell you the length or diameter so how are you meant to judge if your going to find them comfortable or if they are going to fit without seeing them in person.

I'l have a look at some of those grip brands you all have mentioned. I was initially thinking Specialized just to keep with the brand.
  • nicklouse
    lengths are all standardish unless they say they are long or are for gripshift.

diameters well

for a big hand an ODI Rogue and for small hands or large with gloves the rufian is good..

BUT most out there are basically the same size with a few small changes.

Often they will have good descriptions on the "makers" sites like thin or well padded. but a thin one may feel hard or soft depending on the shapes use and the construction.

Find some that you think might be good and then ask about them.
  • F27
    Well I just went and measured my stock grips which are 130mm with a 30mm diameter. The rubber is pretty damn hard. I would say my hands are small and I've found the stock grips fine for years.

Had a look at the Superstar Excels, they look nice and are 4mm thicker which should feel better but are really long. Waiting for an email about the Specialized grips size because they are roughly the same price. Still looking at other stuff though.

I have another question, are white grips a good idea? they look nice new but do they go horrible really quickly (like discolour)? Also would picking a colour totally different to the bike (like neon green) look naff?
  • shorty15
    shorty15 Posts: 97
    Yes, and Yes!!
  • Youngsie 96
    Youngsie 96 Posts: 35
    F27 wrote:
    I have another question, are white grips a good idea? they look nice new but do they go horrible really quickly (like discolour)? Also would picking a colour totally different to the bike (like neon green) look naff?

Yes and probably yes.
  • toastedone
    toastedone Posts: 838
    I got some Odi ruffian lock-on grips for my specalized rockhopper and love them, I always wear gloves i think with out gloves they may be a bit rough on my sensitive skin. They where a little bit pricey for grips but i think it was worth it.
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    I use ODI Ruffians, they are excellent.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • Shmikuk
    Shmikuk Posts: 117
    For my shovelhands the standard superstar grips were a little skinny, the excels were much nicer diameter and way more comfortable, although quite long meaning moving the brakes and shifters in board a touch. I only ride with gloves, and the compound is nice and soft but it does mean they wear quite quickly. These replaced standard Specialized enduro grips which were a bit thicker than a lot of other grips I tried, although thesewerent lock ons.