Blackgang Hill, Isle of Wight

ozzzyosborn206
ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
edited May 2011 in Amateur race
Hi all, in June i am doing the Island Games in the isle of wight, in the road race there is a hill called Blackgang HIll on the circuit and i think the race finishes at the top of it. Any one ridden it or know whats its like?

Cheers

Comments

• sandy hill
    sandy hill Posts: 390
    For what its worth I think I drove it a few years ago. It is rather steep with at least one tight turn where I had an altercation with a BMW pulling a caravan.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It's a longish drag rather than a steep climb, but certainly enough for a decent climber to get ahead of an average bunch.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • stevec205gti
    stevec205gti Posts: 366
    It's quite an deceptive climb - if you've ever driven it you think that the peak at the top after the roundabout is going to be the killer - but it's the drag up to the roundabout that's the worst bit.
    Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???
  • JamieW
    JamieW Posts: 114
    between niton and chale on the main A3055 i think.

depends which way you are going. from niton its a drag (long and fairly easy) from chale side it is about a mile long. Steeper ramp and drag to start, eases by the old merlin restaurant and then jacks up from the roundabout onwards. It is about a 12-15% climb from what i remember. all those years growing up there..... good hill for a finish i reckon.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    A finishing climb in a race is often very different to how it feels in training - hitting the bottom of a longish climb at 80% effort in a bunch is very different to arriving fresh on a training ride.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..