Reverse bonk

Herbsman
Herbsman Posts: 2,029
edited May 2011 in Amateur race
Has anyone here suffered from reverse bonk during a race? I.e. eating too much or at the wrong time, not being able to digest/absorb it, and legs suddenly running out of energy as a result?
CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Do you mean gut diversion?
    More problems but still living....
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    Isn't the reverse of a bonk feeling absolutely unbeatable?
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Yes I have, the mrs placed a special order from an ad in the back of a "niche interest" magazine and my ar$e was sore for days afterwards. Don't recommend it.
  • kacknar0800
    kacknar0800 Posts: 19
    Zachariah wrote:
    Isn't the reverse of a bonk feeling absolutely unbeatable?

I too came to this conclusion
    My newbie cycling blog - PLEASE READ -
    http://kacknarwillr.blogspot.com/
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Yes I have, the mrs placed a special order from an ad in the back of a "niche interest" magazine and my ar$e was sore for days afterwards. Don't recommend it.
    I knew there'd be someone who couldn't resist! :lol:
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    as said, the stomach diverts blood to digest things which leaves less oxygen carrying potential. its why you feel tired after a big meal.
  • jocksyboy
    jocksyboy Posts: 135
    yes
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    Never eat a fry up at a cafe stop.

In all seriousness, presumably this is something caused by the bulk of what is eaten, rather than the calorific content?

So if I ate a dozen gels I'd have far more carborhydrate than my body could ingest, however there would be no ill affect (other than maybe a sick feeling) as it would sit light in my stomach, similar to a drink?

But if I ate a similar amount of carbohydrate in steak I would be in trouble?
  • wjcrombie
    wjcrombie Posts: 43
    I think the most likely scenario is getting stomach cramps etc from eating more than your body can readily digest. I would think that the benefit from taking on calories and fueling your system will always outweigh the cost in terms of blood diverted for other activities.
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    Was it a track race and you were pedaling backwards.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    Milese wrote:
    Never eat a fry up at a cafe stop.
    I dunno - I've had big, greasy meals in the middle of several long-ish rides with no ill-effects. Horses for courses.