Team dynamics at the Giro

climber888
climber888 Posts: 12
edited May 2011 in Pro race
As the Giro d Italia is only just around the corner, I have begun to question whether Carlos Sastre and Denis Menchov will be able to work together. As previous editions of grand tours has shown us two leaders does not normally work. As this is team Geox main goal for the year, and thus denis and carlos main goal aswell, will they be able to work together to achieve the best result for the team? What do you think?

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I think they'll be fine. I can't see them both having Grand Tour winning form, but neither of them seem like they'd make too much of a fuss.

Look at last years Giro, Basso and Nibs were both in good form and it worked fine

Whether the GEOX guys will even be a factor in the race is another story entirely.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    iainf72 wrote:

Whether the GEOX guys will even be a factor in the race is another story entirely.

I think that Menchov could if he's on form..........but whilst Sastre and his deisel engine will fare well on some of the mountains, I just dont think that he is good enough to challenge Bertie etc when they start putting the big attacks in.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Sastre's well past his best days now I think so there should not be too much rivalry.

In general many teams look quite light. It's a point in Nibali's favour to know that Liquigas finished last year's Giro with a full squad.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Will Menchov be able to avoid falling off at every opportunity?
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Gingerflash
    Gingerflash Posts: 239
    I think it's very hard indeed to see any GC winner beyond Contador and Nibali.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    I think Sastre confirmed today he's off the pace - not even sure he'd be much use for Menchov if he rode for him.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I think Sastre confirmed today he's off the pace - not even sure he'd be much use for Menchov if he rode for him.

If Sastre knows he's not riding for GC then makes sense for him to take it easy now so that that he has some energy to either help Menchov or go on the attack himself when the time suits him, in pursuit of a stage win.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    He finished slightly off the pace yesterday due to a crash and subsequent bike change, which saw him finish the stage on Ardila's bike (who is 8 cms shorter than him), not because of a lack of form.

We'll find out later in the race if his form is good, but Sastre is experienced enough to know how to arrive at a GT in form.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Sastre admitted recently he's not in great shape, but he'll improve and I'd have thought he'll make a useful break in one of the mountain stages towards the end of the giro.

Doubt he'll win a stage though - there are loads of great climbers who won't be targeting GC by then. Reckon Androni are a good bet to pick up a major stage in the last week or so. Probably Serpa or Rujano - whichever is lowest on GC.