How hard is the Trans Wales

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,391
edited May 2011 in XC and Enduro
Hi Guys

(if there are any spaces left,) Me and two of my friends are seriously tempted by a shorter version of the Trans Wales this year. We are of an average to good skill standard (from what we see around trail centres) with average fitness levels that can be improved. We usually end up somewhere in mid table mediocrity at the few 24hr races we ve entered.

Obviously we are not out to win but we would also like to enjoy ourselves and whilst we like a challenge, thrashing ourselves to death would be no fun. how much of the 80km days is tarmac? are they similar to the Merida/CRC marathons or are they more difficult days? Are the time cutoffs appropriate for keen amateurs or are they for serious racers?!

Any tips are welcome

DaveK
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• JF5000
    JF5000 Posts: 3
    You won't ride around with a smile fixed permanently to your face - some of the climbs are a slog - but if you're a decent rider already you'll enjoy it. The standard varies and there are some fairly serious racers but the majority of people are keen amateurs and the cut-off times are set accordingly. The tarmac sections last year tended to be at the start and end of the day near the campsites, but most of it is offroad.

Overall, the event has a friendly atmosphere because you're technically not racing for most of the time so there's no need to go flat out up every climb. It's also well organised and the food is good. Definitely take the silver or gold entry option unless you have a support crew.

If you do enter I'd advise to train by doing long rides on consecutive days. You don't have to ride at full speed all the time during the event but you will be spending long hours in the saddle. If you want to get up the leader board also practice short full-pace runs of between 10 and 40 minutes as that's what the time trials consist of.

The kit list on the website covers most of the basics but carry spares in your kit bag, especially if you have unusual parts (BB etc.) on your bike. Spare brake pads are essential. The bikes are split between hardtails and short travel full suspension bikes. Personally, I rode a full suspension last year and will be again this year.

There are still places available by the way.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Thanks for that JF. Unfortunately my two team mates have dropped out and i don't fancy doing it on my own much so I'm thinking of a trip to the Pyrenees instead....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver