Echelon technique

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,348
Hi Guys

t'was my first experience with Dutch wind in a big group (20 odd) today. I understand the point of an echelon is that you form a slanted line across the road, then move to windward with the windward rider dropping off and behind the echelon.

However, when you drop off - where are you supposed to go, there was a whole group of people all trying to get into the leeward most position so I could nt get back in anywhere (and given that (in all honesty the group was too fast for me), i then got dropped...

Any tips?!

Cheers
DaveK
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    You drop directly backwards, then start moving sideways and you get shelter from the next guy to do the same. In theory.
  • Porkyboy
    Porkyboy Posts: 433
    ddraver wrote:
    Hi Guys

t'was my first experience with Dutch wind in a big group (20 odd) today. I understand the point of an echelon is that you form a slanted line across the road, then move to windward with the windward rider dropping off and behind the echelon.

However, when you drop off - where are you supposed to go, there was a whole group of people all trying to get into the leeward most position so I could nt get back in anywhere (and given that (in all honesty the group was too fast for me), i then got dropped...

Any tips?!

Cheers
    DaveK

Sounds like the echelon was too big for the available road width and everyone ends up scrambling in the gutter until they get dropped. Only thing to do if this is the case is to form a second echelon and if that's no good, a third! Problem is most folks just keep on scrambling in the gutter to stay in the first echelon and it all breaks down :)

Q
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    not really sure to be honest but a mate who raced in belgium for quite a few years has always told be if i get in one to work otherwise you get dropped, what was everyone else doing? were they peeling off or was is it the same people on the front driving it, luckily i haven't had any really windy races in belgium yet
  • gandhi
    gandhi Posts: 187
    You need to fight to get back in. Jump back in before you are in the leeward gutter if you need to - a space normally appears.