Will banning needles have any effect on doping??

jerry3571
jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
edited May 2011 in Pro race
This is the latest plan by the Anti Doing Lot to curb the enthusiasm of riders wanting to go faster.
I have heard that Testosterone is applied by "band aid" style plasters but I guess the "blood in a bag" technique could be a problem for the Dopers.
I am sure the Dopers are already trying to get around this new hurdle so is there any hope of cleaner racing??

Link below-
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/millar- ... e-the-race

-Jerry
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
-Jacques Anquetil

Comments

• ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    those who want to cheat will always find a way of cheating, i still think as has been said before that they should make all riders publish their power meter readings to WADA or whoever then if a rider suddenly has a big gain in power the chances are they have doped
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    EPO and blood transfusions have been banned for ages.

Didn't stop anyone, did it?

If they started looking for evidence of needle use on a daily basis, that would be a good step.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Anything that makes it that little bit harder for dopers has got to be good... or am I being a simpleton?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • jerry3571
    I know this sounds daft but would they be inspecting riders buttocks for punctures??
    The butt has been a favourite spot for these kind of things.

a link below shows this-
    (BE AWARE THERE IS NUDITY!!) :wink:

http://www.medicalvideos.us/videos/2429 ... e-buttocks
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

-Jacques Anquetil
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Teams can't have these things lying around any more but the message isn't just the ban, it's that you just don't need a syringe to get vitamins or anything more.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    jerry3571 wrote:
    I know this sounds daft but would they be inspecting riders buttocks for punctures??
    The butt has been a favourite spot for these kind of things.

Transfusions can only be performed at certain places on the body. It makes a lot of sense to inspect those areas. Ditto for EPO to a degree, to evade tests you take it IV and then it's less likely to show up in a test.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • jerry3571
    Good point. I have had drips in the top side of my hand and the arm (opposite side to the elbow) so I guess for blood it would have to be put in to these places; not in the butt as I had fun in showing before. :wink:

-Jerry

-Jacques Anquetil
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Realistically it means that teams who suddenly are found with syringes can immediately be prosecuted without having to find out what was in them.

I remember QS did it a while back, with Steven de Jong moaning about how he has to take 20 odd vitamin pills a day.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    those who want to cheat will always find a way of cheating, i still think as has been said before that they should make all riders publish their power meter readings to WADA or whoever then if a rider suddenly has a big gain in power the chances are they have doped

Yeah, that'll work. A couple of weeks ago I did 414w for 20 minutes during a light warm up for a sprint workout. Given that my FTP is about 330w, I've clearly been doping, haven't I? Should I be banned?

Obviously, what actually happened is that my PT broke. And let's not ignore the fact that powermeters need calibration - why wouldn't a rider calibrate his powermeter 50w lower after a transfusion or whatever?