drink driving - who's done it ? Be honest

wiffachip
wiffachip Posts: 861
edited May 2011 in The bottom bracket
used to regularly drink 2 pints and drive. sometimes it was Stella, so more like 3 pints

wouldn't dream of it now

Comments

• jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    What stopped you?
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Yes I've done it in the past, never again.

Not a thing I'm proud of and indeed why should I answer this post unless it was to say I have erred, but I got away with it.

Before I and others wishing to "cleanse their souls" are lambasted, how many have been guilty of speeding? I know I haven't.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    There's drink driving and there's drunk driving.
    I did the drunk thing once when i was alot younger after a gig in notts, it was the longest 15 mile drive of my life, i was a prat and i was lucky.
    A couple of pints over a few hours with a meal might be classed as drink driving by some but when you live in a rural location you tend to watch the same middle-aged men drinking 4-8 pints over a few hours and then driving home.
    I'll walk now or if i drive to a pub or restaurant, i leave my car and then i'll cycle the nxt day to pick my car up.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Once drove home after 3 (I think) pints as a lad - I could, of course, handle it just fine, I was in complete control etc., until the big bend on the road across the downs above the avon gorge suddenly appeared in front of me way sooner than it should. I slid sideways and bounced off the kerb, didn't damage the car too much, and have never driven after more than a pint since.
    I strongly suspect that the regular drink drivers mentioned above are just lucky.
  • deptfordmarmoset
    deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
    In a distant past life I've driven stoned, uninsured and without a full licence, I've cycled hundreds of times while over the limit (if you know that you're not going to be going on somewhere else, the bike was simply the best way home from the pub).

In an early part of my present life I think I may have once driven over the limit - but that was a morning after thing so I'm not sure. But I don't think I could live with myself if I caused injury or worse to someone else whilst driving over the limit so I've been a conscientious driver since then. (I also used to work as a gigging musician and when you're seen driving away from a pub after closing time you're a prime target for a breath test.)

However, I'll admit to being a little less rigorous on the beer bike. That's probably because if anything happened to me I'd almost certainly be the victim of my own stupidity rather than the cause of someone else's harm. In the end, though, that attitude is a little inconsistent, I know.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Back in the day - guilty as charged. And much more than 3 pints :oops:

I wouldn't even consider it now ever since I had the realisation that -

Points on the license wouldn't worry me.
    Damage to my car or self, my fault.
    Damage to other property, can be recovered.

Seriously injuring someone else, or worse - I would struggle to live with the guilt.

That last point is the end of the discussion as far as I am concerned.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    I've very likely been over the limit when driving hungover the next morning, it was something that never used to be considered but there is a lot more awareness of that scenario now and I've changed my habits accordingly. I have never driven on more than a pint when actually out for a night and that would be a mild ale taken with some food. Frequenting quite a few rural pubs however round here it's fairly obvious there are a few who still like to chance it.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Yes I've done it in the past, never again.

Not a thing I'm proud of and indeed why should I answer this post unless it was to say I have erred, but I got away with it.

Before I and others wishing to "cleanse their souls" are lambasted, how many have been guilty of speeding? I know I haven't.
    Never even done 31 in a 30 limit? I find that hard to believe.

I've been over the limit quite a few times in the past, it was something that wasn't taken particularly seriously then. It wouldn't happen now, not only am I older and wiser but I haven't drunk for over twenty years.
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    Only time I drove after more than 1 pint (2 pints it was) I had a courtesy car and inadvertently had front fog lights on in daylight - a police van pulling across my path to point it out had my ar5e twitching and made sure I didn't do I again!

Should imagine I've been slightly over many mornings after when younger, not now though
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Maximum Ive had is three pints over a few hours and got stopped for having too many people in the back seat (Which is another discussion). I got breath tested and the cop thought I was way over and was prepping me for arrest...

When it came back negative he was so dissapointed!! That's the worst I ve been though, I think I'm lucky cos I'm a big guy so there's lots of fat to soak it out of the blood..

(still gave me a 60 fine and 3 points though! :cry: )
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • richard205
    richard205 Posts: 51
    If you have ever lost your licence (for any reason) as i have for a year, you soon realise how much you (i did anyway) need it.

And yes when i was younger on private ground i had had a few and i dont think i got out of 1st gear. That was enough to prove to me there wasnt any point in doing it. And, thankfully i have a bunch of mates who all are able to be the designated driver if on a night out or have no objections to getting a cab and leaving the car behind.
    Its Italian, its carbon.....and some lanky tool rides it.
  • DCowling
    DCowling Posts: 769
    Have done it and not proud, cost me my license for 16mth and a £150 fine, this was back in 92 and was way beyond what I had as disposable income as I was only earning £120 / week, it then cost me a further 11 years jacked up insurance along with the DD10 code on my lisence.
    I had 4 pints and desereved the consequences, I was far from from drunk but over the limit. I lived outside a rural village ( Calthwaite in Cumbria) and it was 10mile to the closest town and a 2.5 mile walk just to get to the village, I ceratinly taught me.
    The up-side is that it curbed my drinking which was becoming excessive.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ok..........

I crashed my car at 8am off the A13 after a skinful the night before, in Feb 2000. I was arrested, recieved a 2 year ban and a £500 fine (Essex and Cheshire constabularies are the 2 counties that are harshest on drink driving).

It caused massive problems for my wife and I, as I live in Kent and work in Essex, so had to live in digs. I got a 6 month sentence reduction as I was a first time offender and I went on a weeks rehabilitation course. So for 18 months I had to live away from my family, excess cost and lots of remorse, shame and guilt.

Ironically, in the long term it was a turning point for me. I stopped binging, and started to drink only socially and hardly went out after the conviction. I was shunned socially by some friends. I am still now embarrassed when I meet people who have been affected/hurt by drink drivers, so much so I started to go to a support group for victims and relatives and tried to help as much as I could.

I was always a drinker and had not drunk drove before this as I knew I was going out to get mangled so it would always be a cab/bus/stagger home. I made a massive mistake one time, will never make it again. I am sorry for what I did and will never stop being sorry.

Just don't do it, I was fortunate no-one was hurt by me and I do not know how I would have coped had I hurt anyone.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    I imagine it's in part a generation thing.

I know my grandparents when they were a little more functional thought nothing of driving home after quite a few sherries.

My parents are more of the "one or two glasses will be fine", and me and my friends are very much, either you don't have any booze at all and drive or you don't drive.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I am now, firmly in the no booze camp.
  • tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    Have done it many years a go not proud damn lucky to get away with it
    Never trust anyone who says trust me
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I imagine it's in part a generation thing.

I know my grandparents when they were a little more functional thought nothing of driving home after quite a few sherries.

My parents are more of the "one or two glasses will be fine", and me and my friends are very much, either you don't have any booze at all and drive or you don't drive.

This is exactly how it is with me.

I wouldn't touch alcohol if I was driving the same day, and avoid driving if I've had a big night the night before.

My dad will either drive there so my mum can drive home (how kind :wink:) or he'll have one or two and still think he's okay to drive. Legally he probably is, but I'm not really comfortable with it.

My grandparents would have happily sat in the pub for hours and driven home. And then moaned about youngsters breaking the law :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    A couple of decades ago, did it, got caught, got banned.

Not proud and only thankful that no-one hurt because of it.

Since then I have erred and am not proud. Generally these days, having got into cycling, I find that so much of the time I want to feel OK for rides in the following few days that if I drink it is to get bladdered or a big event and taxis/drivers are pre-arranged.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Yay - self-incrimination on a public forum.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    No never drunk and driven. but yes I've been on a Speed Awareness Course today for running a gatso at 37 in a 30 zone. No excuses.
  • user321
    user321 Posts: 50
    Nuggs wrote:

I highly doubt there are going to be any prosecutions from this :wink:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I ve already been tried and punished!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    user321 wrote:
    Nuggs wrote:

I highly doubt there are going to be any prosecutions from this :wink:
    You could release a video of yourself snorting cocaine and the police will take no action :?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,221
    I've never done it intentionally but I'm always nervous about when I can drive again after a heavy session. Did think about getting a breathalyser but the ones available commercially don't seem that good and it I very rarely drink at all these days let alone to the sort of level where I would have an issue the next day so it would be quite a cost for the two or three times a year I might actually use it.
  • This one has made me think.
    I often used to have 3 pints and drive home, but I've never been drunk and driven.
    My logic at the time was I am concentrating so hard and paying attention I'm a better driver than someone with a dog jumping around the car or messing about lighting a fag etc.
    Never ever feared about harming someone only ever about the police hassling me and weather I'd be just over the limit.
    Dont do it now as I rarely drink and am too tight to pay £3.50 a pint!! So I'd rather drink at home.
    Guess I got away with it however you view it.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I have been done out here in Sweden. about £1000 fine and 4 months ban driving in Sweden. (could ask for my licence back and drive out side of Sweden).

The interesting part is that I was below the UK limit.

Now I just dont. it aint smart and it aint clever. and commuting by bike in -30c is FUN.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • blackpoolkev
    blackpoolkev Posts: 474
    I went to a pub after work with some workmates.I figured that as I was cycling home, I could have a few pints and not worry about losing my license.
    5 pints later I was ready for my 4 mile ride home.However even though I felt good to go,I quickly realised that riding a bike pi$$ed was no fun.My years of cycling experience deserted me as I struggled to keep the bike upright.Somehow I made it home unscathed.
    That was 20 odd years ago and I have never ridden pi$$ed since.