Microsoft tracks your movements via Windows Mobile

Raymondavalon
Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
edited May 2011 in The hub
Yes all you 'doze fanboi's beware! MS also tracks your movements...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/27 ... _tracking/

As does Apple, Google (Android) etc..

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Actually, no they don't. They track the last know location, and that's it. And you can switch it off. No history is cached on the phone.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Yawn. settings, location services, on/off.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    google do this too, they tell me they're doing this every time I install new firmware. Doesn't bother me though, I suspect they have better things to do than send a crazed lunatic to my current location...
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • Anonymous
    google do this too, they tell me they're doing this every time I install new firmware. Doesn't bother me though, I suspect they have better things to do than send a crazed lunatic to my current location...
    you would think, wouldn't you?
    Unfortunately for you, google has actually been emailing me regularly with details of your location, I'm just waiting for an opportunity to execute their commands :twisted:
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    I suspect they have better things to do than send a crazed lunatic to my current location...

there would be no point, you're already a crazed lunatic!
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    yeehaamcgee
    How do you find your windows phone? I have just come from an iphone and have got a HD7, good but different
    I didnt realise there's no Sat Nav App yet, the peed me off but nice screen etc
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Anonymous
    I'm still liking mine a lot, to be honest. I haven't tried many Android phones, but this seems far more polished than the ones I DID try.
    And the iPhones I've played with just seemed like a larger, slicker standard mobile. I like the way WP7 feels like a genuinely "different" way of doing things.
    The only thing I do not like about it is that the battery only lasts about a day and a half to two days (or a day if I leave it on at work, there's no signal, so most mobiles kill themselves searching for one). But that seems about normal for a phone of this ilk, sadly.

I like the texting interface, the people hub, the photos stuff, well, all of it really. I particularly like the wireless syncing whilst it charges overnight.
    I don't use it as a sat-nav for driving, I've got a Navman which does the job better than any phone, with it's large screen, and enormous touch buttons.
    I do use the phone for directions around towns though, and I find it's ok for that. I don't particularly want the phone to speak to me when using it like that.

Turn by turn (sat-nav style) navigation IS coming though. Microsoft has access to Nokia's awesome OVI maps software as part of the MS/Nokia deal.
    And, before that, I believe, there is turn by turn directions coming in the next update.

Oh, one more thing I really wish it would do...
    I have an ENORMOUS .JPG image of the OS maps covering Snowdonia. Unfortunately, the phone will pixelate it. I was kind of hoping I could carry it around as a handy map in my pocket, but it won't let me zoom far enough in to read any meaningful info from it.
    It just won't show such huge images (the JPG is arounf 60 megs) in great detail.
  • I really like my WP7 :)

Not having a satnav doesn't bother me as I have a satnav :)
  • VWsurfbum
    Yeah other than the Sat Nav Issue (i'll be stealing the wifes as of tonight as she has got a Nokia E7 Jobby) i really like the HD7 but its taking me ages to get used to Zune, thats one F'd up programe, i think it makes Itunes look like it was a work of genius!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Anonymous
    I prefer media player to Zune, but i prefer both to iTunes, by a very large margin.
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    I have a zune player (interface might be different) but I find it really easy now. The wife loves marketplace for music.
    FCN 12
  • Anonymous
    He means the zune software (i presume), which is the same whether you have a zune, a phone, or both.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Zune's a bit shite for picking up different file formats, although I prefer it to itunes.

My current biggest gripes with Windows mobile at present is the lack of flash player, the lack of home screen customisation and the fact I can't use a non standard ring tone.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • VWsurfbum
    My current biggest gripes with Windows mobile at present is the lack of flash player, the lack of home screen customisation and the fact I can't use a non standard ring tone.
    + Potato salad
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    I wish i'd waited to jump the iphone ship, my Samsung Galxy S sucks a big one!

It crashes alot
    The apps Freeze
    The text interface is cool, but only when it works properly
    The music player is about ase useful as a dead dogs teste (to the point i use my 1st gen iphone as an iPod touch)

At least i can upgrade every 12 months as i'm a business user, when september comes i will be having a good hunt around