Glentrees Blue

will8
will8 Posts: 82
edited May 2011 in Routes
Whist i am working in scotland iam planning to have a blast at Glentress. I will be working Dunfermline which is about 1 hr away, i will be doing it after work, so i was wondering roughly how long it takes to get round ?

Need to plan what time i will have to leave work, Iam fairly fit but a total novice when it comes to trail centre.

Thanks.

Comments

• neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    glentress is a pretty compact centre really, you can spend as much time as you have and use shortcuts to get back to the centre.

Been a long time since I did the blue, and it likely changed a lot,
    FCN 12
  • will8
    Cheers fella.
  • paul_75
    paul_75 Posts: 61
    hi, iv never been to glentress, but if the blue trail there is anything like the blue at Ae then it wont take more than an hour to get round, i found the blue at Ae to be a big let down, its was all roads apart from 1 section that only lasted a few mins going through the trees (which was good)
  • Glentress Blue is ace - not at all the fireroad slog you get at lots of trail centres.

Go for it - you can choose how many sections you do depending on the time available.
  • Broonster
    Broonster Posts: 440
    You could spend an hour doing the GT blue or more if you fancy doing bits of it again. The blue route at GT is simply ACE, so much so that I often link in parts of the blue when doing the red & black. It's awesome fun! :D
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • will8
    Thanks fellas, It looks pretty Dam good on the web page, can't wait to give it a go. Hopefully if things go to Plan with work I will get there Wednesday or Thursday.

See how I get on with the blue I might try the red towards the end of my stay up here.

I will report how it goes.
  • If you have a couple of hours you can really make the most of GT by doing sections of red and sections of blue.

Start on the red, follow it all the way to the top of spooky wood, if you are short of time skip pennels vennel and carry on up the fire road then hairpin left to climb to spooky

Do spooky wood, then stay on red to do super g. Then turn right up the hill and take the blue route from there, you can take in the free ride park, which is a right laugh. Then through the back of the car park and follow blue all the way back to the bottom

From spooky wood its almost non stop fun, if you have some time left when you drop out of blue (point 33 on the map) loop back up the forest road and come down the red to finish

Lee
  • trailpuppet
    trailpuppet Posts: 381
    My route last Fri Black route to Deliverance/Repentance. Cut right out of Repentance onto Blue(post 27 up to 22). Picked up Red again all the way to the forest road and then back up to the jump park and down Electric Blue. Other times we will go up to Spooky and then sharp left onto Betty Blue and back onto the Red. :D

btw you will be climbing all the way up to the end of Spooky start of Betty Blue, Super G. Add on the climb to Spooky just for fun :evil:
    http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/7stanesg ... eithen.pdf
  • paul_75
    glad to hear the blue route is good, are there a lot of steep hills? my mrs doesnt like big hills :lol:
  • Glentress Blue is ace - not at all the fireroad slog you get at lots of trail centres.

Go for it - you can choose how many sections you do depending on the time available.

What... apart from that fuuuukkinngg huuuuuggeeee slog up the fire road to where the red splits off to Spooky Wood ascent?
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    big hairy wise ape would say, to come down, one inevitably must go up.
    FCN 12
  • Love the glentress blue - up up up (boo), then all the way down... My kind of trail! 8)
  • neiltb wrote:
    big hairy wise ape would say, to come down, one inevitably must go up.

Try teling that to the fecker that organised the Wentwood Enduro last month, it doesn't mean that the down will be fun!!

UP UP UP UP UP UP... road section down.. UP UP UP UP... smal bit of trail down....UP UP UP UP UP.... road section back to the start :x
  • trailpuppet
    trailpuppet Posts: 381
    paul_75

Hey Paul
    Whereabouts in Dfs are you?
    glad to hear the blue route is good, are there a lot of steep hills? my mrs doesnt like big hills
    It is certainly a bit of a slog up to the start of Betty Blue. Just take it easy, have plenty of stops so that she has the energy to enjoy the freewheeling back to the cafe

You can cheat a bit. Take the car up to the skills/jump park and start the blue there, finish at the cafe. Leave Mrs at the cafe with some nice carrot cake and then you can bike back up to collect the car. :lol::lol: [/quote]
  • paul_75
    paul_75

Hey Paul
    Whereabouts in Dfs are you?
    glad to hear the blue route is good, are there a lot of steep hills? my mrs doesnt like big hills
    It is certainly a bit of a slog up to the start of Betty Blue. Just take it easy, have plenty of stops so that she has the energy to enjoy the freewheeling back to the cafe

You can cheat a bit. Take the car up to the skills/jump park and start the blue there, finish at the cafe. Leave Mrs at the cafe with some nice carrot cake and then you can bike back up to collect the car. :lol::lol:
    [/quote]

thanks for the reply, i will let her know its a fair slog up the hill at the start ( probably put her off it though) although she might be into sitting waiting for me to get the car, shes done that at drumlanrig before, sat at the end of the trail and let me ride the last mile or so alone the road to get the car, couldnt imagine her doing that for me though :lol:

im from kirkconnel
  • Broonster
    Broonster Posts: 440
    Glentress Blue is ace - not at all the fireroad slog you get at lots of trail centres.

What... apart from that fuuuukkinngg huuuuuggeeee slog up the fire road to where the red splits off to Spooky Wood ascent?

You think that out of all the trails at GT that a 3-400m stretch of fire road at that section is "huuuuuuggeeee'?! :?
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • I'd reckon it's a bit more that 3-400 meters!

It always breaks my heart when I get to the wall and see the rest of the climb lurking off into the woods, but it's well worth it!!

Gotta love Glentress, apart from them raping the Hub

Lee
  • nick1962
    nick1962 Posts: 156
    My route last Fri Black route to Deliverance/Repentance. Cut right out of Repentance onto Blue:

Repentance is what any self respecting MTB er will feel if he ends up pushing on the Redemption climb after Deliverance! :wink:
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    will8 wrote:
    Whist i am working in scotland iam planning to have a blast at Glentress. I will be working Dunfermline which is about 1 hr away, i will be doing it after work, so i was wondering roughly how long it takes to get round ?

Thanks.

More importantly, get to the game on Saturday. :D

Doing any local riding?
  • will8
    Stoo61 wrote:
    will8 wrote:

Thanks.

More importantly, get to the game on Saturday. :D

Doing any local riding?

Been bombing around Blairadam forest a couple of times a week. Thats been fun.
    Until i get more time for Glentress that will do,

Might go to the other forest as well . Devilla is it??

Whats that like??
  • will8
    Well manage to get to Glentress yesterday, and all i can say it is AMAZING.

Living in Linclonshire where it is flat, its the best place i have ever roded.

Was going to do the blue, but decided to go with the red route and try the blue after lunch,welll thats what i thought but the legs said no. ha.

Did it just over 2hrs which the ranger said it was good going for my first time around a proper trail.

Lucky for me i have another 4 weeks work in Dunfermline so i will going to GT another 4 times, might even try the black and inners toward to end. :D