Grey Or Gay?

Stone Glider
Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
edited May 2011 in The bottom bracket
Some time ago I was in Coolangatta trying to buy some surf apparel for my son-in-law. The assistant explained to me that when surfers reach a 'certain age' (Warren was about 40) they tend to migrate towards a white/grey/black palette in their choice of clothing. I bought him something green :?

However, this evening, I looked at the washing line with a full complement of cycling gear upon it and noticed the (mostly) white shirts and socks, black shorts & base layers. Coupled with a grey helmet, black/white mitts and black/silver shoes. Did that guy know something?

I know that bright colours are supposed to stand out but do we always obey the diktat of Hi-Viz?
The older I get the faster I was

Comments

• deptfordmarmoset
    deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
    My hair has already covered the grey part and my helmet matches my hair. But a very recent trip to ALDI has just uncovered an unsuspected need to wear all things red, white and black. And I've no problem adding hi-viz to the mix. Old and bold. Loud and proud. It may grate for some people's sense of taste but if that makes them steer clear....job done.
  • deptfordmarmoset
    deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
    My hair has already covered the grey part and my helmet matches my hair. But a very recent trip to ALDI has just uncovered an unsuspected need to wear all things red, white and black. And I've no problem adding hi-viz to the mix. Old and bold. Loud and proud. It may grate for some people's sense of taste but if that makes them steer clear....job done.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I too suffered a red relapse at Aldi. I will stick to black shorts, red is just too metropolitan for Norfolk.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,533
    Tell that to all those old men in Italy who still ride around in the most Garish '90s kit you've ever seen.
  • tri-sexual
    tri-sexual Posts: 672
    my bike gear ranges from multi coloured to really dull so covers the entire colour of the spectrum
    btw love the old race jerseys of the past :D
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Some time ago I was in Coolangatta trying to buy some surf apparel for my son-in-law. The assistant explained to me that when surfers reach a 'certain age' (Warren was about 40) they tend to migrate towards a white/grey/black palette in their choice of clothing. I bought him something green :?

However, this evening, I looked at the washing line with a full complement of cycling gear upon it and noticed the (mostly) white shirts and socks, black shorts & base layers. Coupled with a grey helmet, black/white mitts and black/silver shoes. Did that guy know something?

I know that bright colours are supposed to stand out but do we always obey the diktat of Hi-Viz?
    As the years pass by, you'll probably find that your cycling wardrobe will change to a pallette of beige and sepia ... :wink:
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • BarryBonds
    BarryBonds Posts: 344
    Crapaud wrote:
    [?
    As the years pass by, you'll probably find that your cycling wardrobe will change to a pallette of beige and sepia ... :wink:[/quote]

like my y fronts then
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    I had a plan of growing old disgracefully but find the fawn and sage colours creaping in. It is easier to keep the years at bay with cycling clothing, team strips, club colours, etc. Somehow the signal gets sent nonetheless :?
    The older I get the faster I was