Hamstring

dinyull
dinyull Posts: 2,979
Over the past month I've noticed my right hamstring feels constanly tight. II cycle 2 nigths a week (19 mile route), play football 3 nights a week and try to get out on sat and sun (usually over 40 miles) when possible.

It's a tight/tingling feeling through the hammy although it's never been a problem at football I do notice whilst on the bike and whilst sat at work, in bed etc.

Anyone else suffered with this with any ideas? Am I overdoing it or is it more of an issue with my position on the bike?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,590
    It's likely to be position, in the sense that your hamstring is likely to be a little too tight for the position you ride in.

My sister who does a lot of dance stuff suggests a good solid 10 minutes of stretching immediately post exercise to increase flexibility in said hamstring ( I have the same problem).
  • dinyull
    So....''hamstring is likely to be a little too tight for the position you ride in.''.... does that mean my seat is too high - over stretching??? The reason I ask is because I've just adjusted my seat higher a week ago as it had slipped too low but I've been suffering for weeks before this. There is still a little bend in the leg when pushing down - if that makes sense.

Would it be more down to seat hight, seat position, cleat position, handlebar position?!?!

Just getting annoying now and don't want or need to go to he Dr's when all they'll say is take a week or two rest - something I don't want to do!
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    I'd go see a physio if I was you. They'll give you some decent advice on stretching and get to the core of the problem. Getting a bike fit would also be a solid investment.
  • dinyull
    Have been seriously considering a bike fit. Seeing as your a fellow geordie any recomendations on places up here in Newcastle?
  • d87heaven
    d87heaven Posts: 348
    Whats your flexibility like? Can you feel the hammy tighten more than the other when you try and touch your toes? Try a single leg hammy stretch, do you have the same range of motion as the other non tight hammy?
    Also check both legs are the same length.
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    I've been using a massage ball to work my hamstrings after each workout. Works a treat. Do plenty of stretching as well.
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    Dinyull wrote:
    Have been seriously considering a bike fit. Seeing as your a fellow geordie any recomendations on places up here in Newcastle?

I've only been here a year, and haven't tried the bike fitters (yet). Steels does the Specialized bikefit system but other than that I've not a clue. The nearest other one that I know about is at Planet X in rotherham (they do the Retul system). I'm really considering going down to Burton on Trent to see Adrian Timmis, b/c he's had so many amazing recommendations on here.