Tyre Choice

naefearjustbeer
naefearjustbeer Posts: 182
edited May 2011 in MTB buying advice
I have recently replaced the worn out rear mountain king on the back of my Genesis Core 20 with a Maxxis High Roller. I was never really that happy with the old mountain king tyre as I thought it didnt have enough traction in anything other than dry hard pack trails. On wet muddy or slippery conditions and I would quite often spin out the rear when going up hill. The maxxis on the rear is a lot better but now it is so grippy it is making me very nervous with the front mountain king. Would another high roller on the front be a good option ? I ride a mixture of XC, forestry roads and trips to golspie, I dont want the front end to wash out on me coming down from the top of the golspie trail.
AUT PAX AUT BELLUM
My Kayaking Blog http://naefearjustbeer.wordpress.com/

Comments

• kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    If you like the high roller I'd advise you get the Minion front. Grips and rolls faster than the high roller, have had it on the bike for 2 years and has been great.

However another option is the Schwalbe Nobby Nic, I find it as good as Minion but rolls better and is lighter. I have not been running it long so an't say how it holds up long term.
  • BikeSwan
    BikeSwan Posts: 260
    Im running a Schwalbe Nobby Nic on the front and a Schwalbe Racing Ralph on the back, both are 2.25 size and both are Snake Skins. I cant imagine a better set up, this combination is extremely good from everything from XC Racing to All Mountain. I highly recommend it. Make sure you go for some kind of protection though (Snake Skin, Double Defense, etc) because I used to have the normal "evolution" version of these tyres are they where shredded on rock gardens.
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    If I were you I'd put the high roller on the front and the MK on the rear. You always want more grip up front !
  • I did think about that but I will be taking the mountain king off and not using it. I just found even with full tread it was useless on the rear for the majority of my riding
    AUT PAX AUT BELLUM
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    In that case then I'd say keep the HR on the rear and run with a Minion DHF up front. I run one on the front of my Inbred (with an Ardent on the back) and am very impressed with the amount of grip it gives. It also rolls very well for such an aggressive tyre.
  • blablablacksheep
    blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
    also looking into getting tryes watch out though as a lot of sites selling old models so suggest you check as there is a big price difference
    £20-60+ :shock:

Would sticking Nobby Nic 2.25" Snakeskin Tyres on F+R work or not out of interest?
    Currently have a
    Specialized Fast Track LK Sport. 26x2.0", 60 TPI, wire bead.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • kenan
    Would sticking Nobby Nic 2.25" Snakeskin Tyres on F+R work or not out of interest?

Yeah would be fine, I have a 2.4 front and 2.25 rear on my hardtail and find it a very good set-up.
  • matt_wright
    matt_wright Posts: 27
    What is the difference between running 2.4 on front and 2.25 on back as opposed to both 2.25? I.e. Pros and cons of 2.4 front and 2.2.5 back compared to both 2.25?

Would i notice a differnece to what i have at the moment? (currently have 2.1 continetial speedkings on both).

I was thinking of going Nobby Nic snakeskin 2.4 front and racing ralph snakeskin 2.25 on back. Would this be suitable, or is there something else (different tyres, or maybe just a different setup that would be better?)

Thanks

Matt
  • blablablacksheep
    tyre size is just about surface area and the amount of grip you getting though the tyres.

So sticking 2.4 on front means you getting more grip on front so less likely the front tyre to "roll" or move away from you, front wheel going away is pretty much impossible to save compared to rear wheel going :shock:

out of interest what the main difference over nobby nic and ralph? sinse the price difference seems a fair bit considering they very simular.
  • phantomx0_1
    phantomx0_1 Posts: 50
    I run the Maxxis advantage front and rear and find them very good espicially with the weather were having with the trails nice and dry. However can't vouch for them in the really wet stuff as not tested them, but they get good reviews. I run the 2.1 but they are a wide tyre for a 2.1.

See this review,

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... e-10-37513
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    I'm also running advantages front and rear but in 2.25, lots of volume, good all round grip but loads of cornering grip.
  • kenan
    What is the difference between running 2.4 on front and 2.25 on back as opposed to both 2.25? I.e. Pros and cons of 2.4 front and 2.2.5 back compared to both 2.25?

Would i notice a differnece to what i have at the moment? (currently have 2.1 continetial speedkings on both).

I was thinking of going Nobby Nic snakeskin 2.4 front and racing ralph snakeskin 2.25 on back. Would this be suitable, or is there something else (different tyres, or maybe just a different setup that would be better?)

As other said wider at the front for grip. I got different sizes as I'm playing with a few tyres at the moment.

Lots of people run the Nic front and Ralph/Ron on the rear and are happy with it. My local ride is very boggy/gritty (if you read MBUK is where article of the biker VS the Marines was shot) so need a tyre on the back with more grip.
  • blablablacksheep
    I run the Maxxis advantage front and rear and find them very good espicially with the weather were having with the trails nice and dry. However can't vouch for them in the really wet stuff as not tested them, but they get good reviews. I run the 2.1 but they are a wide tyre for a 2.1.

See this review,

Interesting that people said nobby nics are rubbish :shock:

can this be true or just somone bashing nobby nics for random reson?

they didnt mention though if those advantage are any good in british weather though, as i know many review tyres in perfect hot trails which is never going to happen for longer than 1 week in UK :wink:
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Nics are far from rubbish but they are very much the 'XTR' of the tyre world - great if you can afford them and are good enough to notice the difference between them and 'XT' tyres. Ralphs use the same carcass as Nics but have a less burly tread pattern. The Nic F & Ralph R combo is tried and tested and works very well.
  • I ended up getting a Michelin Wild Grip R on the front as the shop didnt have a minion that I wanted and as I was heading to golspie today I didnt have the time to wait for an internet order to arrive. The high roller was fantastic on the rear with loads of grip however it is a heavy tyre and it was noticeably harder work peddling up today. Didnt slow me down much but it did absolutely knacker me on the way up. However made better time on the way back down as my new tyres are quite confidence inspiring.
    AUT PAX AUT BELLUM
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648

See this review,

Interesting that people said nobby nics are rubbish :shock:

can this be true or just somone bashing nobby nics for random reson?

they didnt mention though if those advantage are any good in british weather though, as i know many review tyres in perfect hot trails which is never going to happen for longer than 1 week in UK :wink:
    don't you think the user reviews are in the Uk riding in UK conditions? :wink:
  • blablablacksheep
    ^^ you be suprised how many non Uk people use these forums :)

just seen some nobbys on sale for £49 for a pair so i think il probably get them given the price very good.

my mate just got some panacer xcs and after 1 ride they allready busted lol
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Can't go wrong with Nics have them on my hardtail F&R. I don't seem to get on with the RR on the rear for some reason and the difference in rolling resistance is minimal in my experience.

You will need to play around with pressures to suit you though but that the same with all tyres.
  • With the NN Front and RR rear combo, would you always go wider on the front?
    Also how can I find out if the 2.4 f NN and 2.25 RR rear would work on my 2011 trance X2 ??
    Giant Trance X2 2011 FS
    Rockrider HT
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Also how can I find out if the 2.4 f NN and 2.25 RR rear would work on my 2011 trance X2 ??
    Have run this combo on three bikes. The 2.4 Nic is only a couple of mm wider either side than the 2.25 but it is quite a bit taller. Tall enough to chip bits off the underside of the brace on some Tora Solos but OK on RS Revs and Recons.

It's a big tyre and weighs a ton but it is great if you like ploughing through/over everything. Monster grip in all conditions from winter clag right through to summer dust bowls but if clearance on your Trance is tight with a 2.25 I would look elsewhere. Ardent 2.25 has similar characteristics (although not as extreme) and is pretty big for a 2.25 but not a big as a 2.4 Nic.

2.25 RR on the back no probs.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    If you want grip on the front then look no further than the Panaracer Rampage SC or the Kenda Nevegal StickE. Brilliant all-round tyres.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    I'm a big fan of Maxxis tyres. I run 2.1 Highrollers F&R in the winter and a 2.35 Ignitor (F) and 2.25 Crossmark (R) in the summer....
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • paul_75
    paul_75 Posts: 61
    i will be looking for some myself soon, had a read through some reviews on another site, seen the panaracer fire xc pro and some of the reviews say they roll well while others say they dont roll well, some say they stick to hardpack like glue while others say they are not good on hardpacksome say they are great while others say they are poor (so whos right?) :lol:
    right now i have the 2.1 continental speed kings on my boardman that came with it, im looking for something that will roll asgood as the speed king (or even better) and something with either the same or more grip, i ride on and off road so they need to roll well, are the panaracers better than the speedkings or is there a better choice for every surface? iv not had any problems with the speedking and would be happy enough with them again if need be
    thanks
  • homerjay
    homerjay Posts: 154
    edited May 2011
    ive just bought 2 rocket rons for the summer months, to stick on my retro bike. (orange e2.)

replacing original Panaracer Smoke/Darts
  • I'm a massive fan of maxis tyres and on the recommendation of my LBS I bought High Rollers 2.1 F&R and they were awesome, only started to lose grip when they were almost bald.
    I'm now running continental vertical 2.3 F&R and they feel like I've got the brakes on but they grip well in the thick mud clear reasonably well and they have lasted form last autumn.
    I'm now thinking about getting a maxis ardent for the front and an aspen for the rear?
    Has anyone got any thoughts on this combination?

Cheers

Chris
    GT Zaskar mmmmm yummy!
  • bigpee
    bigpee Posts: 205
    I've just got round to sorting my bike for the summer. Even though it's dry at the moment I'm sure there will be mud days and don't want to swap tyres over until the Autumn (or they wear out). Currently I've got a Nobby Nic 2.25 Evo on the front and a Maxxis Ardent 2.25 on the rear. Took the bike out today round Pirbright and had no issues in the ridiculously loose sand, or pine needles. Did seem to be a little slower than the previous combo of Ardent up front and Speed King on the rear.
    Current bikes:
    Norco Sight 3 SE (on order)
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Commencal META 55 custom build (Stolen :( )
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
    GT Avalance 1.0 2006(ish)
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542

See this review,

How are the advantage on road? I don't really like to do road miles but usually have to in order to get to the trails. Been running an ignitor on the rear and the road is eating it up!
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    What are the Nobby Nics and the Racing Ralphs like with regards to punctures if using tubes?
  • aidso
    aidso Posts: 493
    For anyone that hasnt ordered yet, Nobbies are going for £20 each on On-One (http://www.on-one.co.uk). A lot cheaper than what I paid.

I've been running a Nobby Nic Evo 2.25 up front and I'm not enjoying it at all. On the flat and on climbs it runs pretty quick and there is suitable traction, but in corners and especially on roots it is scary - like riding on ice. I've washed out so many times now! I'm running the 35psi as suggested but even dropping it by a few toots doesnt help. A lot of people recommend them but I am not enjoying it at all :(.
  • aidso
    aidso Posts: 493
    What did the OP go for in the end? Just to follow up with my Nobby Nic bashing - raced with a 2.25 EVO on the front yesterday and may as well have booked the trip to A&E in advance. Absolutely no grip in the mud, bike was going sideways and then I came to a short, sharp decent and went straight into a tree as the tyre wouldn't grip and turn. Leg is in agony now!

These tyres only seem to be good for dry, gravel/tarmac riding :(.