100 Greatest Cycling Climbs

mroli
mroli Posts: 3,622
edited May 2012 in The bottom bracket
Hi Guys.

I thought I would point you in the direction of my blog:

http://100hillsforgeorge.blogspot.com/

I am basically trying to do Simon Warren's 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs book in a calender year (starting 1 April 2011).

I would be really happy if you had a look at the blog, let me know your thoughts, of any improvements you think I could make, suggestions, tips on climbs, everything really!

This is in aid of the charity we run www.georgesfoundation.org - please visit our site!

I have contacted Simon and he has been a great guy - if you don't know the book, it is well worth buying: http://www.amazon.co.uk/100-Greatest-Cy ... 0711231206

Cheers

M

Comments

• wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Nice blog there M, a great cause so chapeau to you.

Have ridden most of the climbs you have already done so a nice read, I live in Shropshire about a mile from Jiggers Bank so I have to ride that to get home and yes it is a bit dull although it does hurt after 100 miles! The Burway is a brute not to underestimated.

My only criticism is get those you tube videos up! :wink:

Good luck with the rest of the challenge I will following with interest.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    Nice going doing 3 of my local hills :)

I take it you did them from the directions that are in the book ?

I only ask because it does seem strange to approach The Bwlch and The Rhigos from opposite directions when we tend to do them as a continuous loop.

Pleased to see Bryn Du on the list , it's called Maerdy Mtn to the locals :) also to late now but a lot of us consider the Bwlch to start at the clock tower on the roundabout.

Still all the best with your other climbs, take care.
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • mroli
    Thanks Guys - you both live in beautiful areas of the country (or different countries if you are being picky!)

@Lazarus - yes, I did them in the direction that it states in the book (one of the reasons I was a bit confused over Rhigos was that I had marked it wrong in the map!) I thought the Bwlch started a bit lower (I rode down, but didn't start my garmin until I got up and rode back to try and find the start). By the way - is the Bwlch pronounced Bulch? I struggle with the Welsh use of w as a vowel!

Funny about Maerdy Mtn - my wife calls me "Mardy" as she says I'm so grumpy - so she thought that was v funny.

I thought the valleys were incredible btw - it was like being in a different country(!) it really was.

@wicked - Need a fast internet connection to upload the videos and it is a bit slow here. Working on it!

Burway is amazing - I thought the ascent from Church Stretton is easier than the one coming the other way - I did that last year and almost had to stop. James Cracknell broke his chain on it!
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Lazarus wrote:
    Nice going doing 3 of my local hills :)

I take it you did them from the directions that are in the book ?

I only ask because it does seem strange to approach The Bwlch and The Rhigos from opposite directions when we tend to do them as a continuous loop.

Pleased to see Bryn Du on the list , it's called Maerdy Mtn to the locals :) also to late now but a lot of us consider the Bwlch to start at the clock tower on the roundabout.

Still all the best with your other climbs, take care.[/quote

One of my favourite rides from Cardiff, from the Clock Tower up the Bwlch, onto Rhigos and back towards Aberdare and up through Maerdy.

Good luck in completing the challenge.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    mroli there's nothing wrong with your pronunciation :D

Bwlch - Bulch
    Maerdy - Mardy

are perfect :D

Hope you appreciated all the windmills we put up when we knew you were coming !
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • wicked
    mroli wrote:

@wicked - Need a fast internet connection to upload the videos and it is a bit slow here. Working on it!

Burway is amazing - I thought the ascent from Church Stretton is easier than the one coming the other way - I did that last year and almost had to stop. James Cracknell broke his chain on it!

You mean Asterton by the glider station, that is a pig and 25%!?
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • mroli
    I think that's the one - I just remember it had grass in the middle of the road, it was bloody steep and had cars coming the other way. I think out of the 200 or so people that did the RAB, only 12 people got up it without stopping/pushing.

@Lazarus - yep, appreciated it all :lol:
  • Keith47
    Keith47 Posts: 158
    Fantastic blog, I bought the book a while back and set out to do the nearest one to me,which is about 25 miles from where I live,( Dovers Hill ,number 13 in the book mysteriously included in the South West section not the Midlands as I would have expected) .
    So myself and my son in law set off, diligently followed the directions, nearly passed out with exhaustion on the climb, not convinced that the landmarks and scenery matched the authors description but limped the 25 miles home proud of our accomplishment (well it is rated 5/10 :oops: ) only to discover after a google search that we'd done the wrong hill. The proper one looks even worse than the hill we DID do!!!!
    So, just a bit of advice, the hill starts at the bottom of Church Street in Weston-Sub-Edge. That's all it needed to say in the book.
    Good Luck with your future climbs, I'll be watching your blog with great interest. :wink:
    The problem is we are not eating food anymore, we are eating food-like products.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Great book, great idea, and a great blog!

I visited some friends up North last week and did number 44 (Halifax lane) which was fine on a triple - just a long slog. I've done a few of the climbs down here as well, although I can't get anything near to Simon's times - I have to add about 50% coz I'm a munter. When you get to number 22 (Ditchling Beacon) let me know as its near me and part of my commute - I'll come and cheer you on if I'm free.

The very best of luck with your challenge.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Grifteruk
    Grifteruk Posts: 244
    Great blog v. Interesting to read your take on the hills I ride every week. Sounds like you did the Rhigos from the "easy" side but it's still a good climb.

Constitution Hill is a real tough climb cos of the cobbles. Out of interest are you thinking of doing the devils staircase in llyn brianne. It's about 20 miles from Llandovery which is not far from the bottom of black mountain. That is IMO and IME the hardest climb in Wales and up there as the toughest in the UK. Combined with the fact it is has a fantastic lead up with stunning scenery this is a real event.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Grifteruk wrote:
    That is IMO and IME the hardest climb in Wales and up there as the toughest in the UK..

Simon Warren only gives it a 9 out of 10. Not that I'd always agree with him!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mroli
    Thanks Guys.

@Grifteruk - I did do the Devil's Staircase. I thought it was a pretty hard climb, but everything around the climb was incredible. Some of the most enjoyable cycling I have ever done in my life:

http://100hillsforgeorge.blogspot.com/2 ... powys.html

@ratsbyfus - will defo drop you a line when I do Ditchling - it would be nice to meet up with people if they fancy showing me their local climbs - I will try and post on here when I anticipate doing hills if people want to show me how its done!

@Keith47 - thanks for the tip - really helpful!

@Rolf F - yes, I don't always agree with him, but I guess that's one of the great beauties of hills! One man's nemesis is another man's molehill!

Some North Devon/Somerset Climbs are up now - Porlock, Dunkery Beacon and Exmoor Forest.

My wife has taken some better photos too that she's uploading to FLICKR for me - I will post the link to that and I'm back at home now so will try and get the youtube vids sorted.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys.

M
  • rolf_f
    mroli wrote:
    @ratsbyfus - will defo drop you a line when I do Ditchling - it would be nice to meet up with people if they fancy showing me their local climbs - I will try and post on here when I anticipate doing hills if people want to show me how its done!

Let me know when you're in Yorkshire. Quite a few closely located routes up here you can do in one go.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Rolf F wrote:
    mroli wrote:

Let me know when you're in Yorkshire. Quite a few closely located routes up here you can do in one go.

Such as?

I did the climb from Bolton Bridge via Langbar, the Moor Road out of Ilkley and East Chevin Road out of Otley over the weekend. I'm always interested in adding more!

Bob
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Great blog, great cause and sorry to hear of your loss

You just inspired me to cycle the 10 miles from my house to

92. Ffordd Penllech, Gwynedd 9/10

Claimed to be the steepest road in the UK. It is extremely steep but short enough to power up quite quickly.

Good luck with the rest of your climbs
  • rolf_f
    beverick wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Such as?

I did the climb from Bolton Bridge via Langbar, the Moor Road out of Ilkley and East Chevin Road out of Otley over the weekend. I'm always interested in adding more!

Bob

Last week I did Buttertubs, Fleet Moss and Park Rash on one loop (plus you've got Oxnop Scar next to Buttertubs - you could do a nice little triple crossing of the Wensleydale:Swaledale watershed for that one!) - the Richmond Five Dales Sportive does The Stang, Tan Hill, Fleet Moss and Park Rash in one go.

Further South, Norwood Edge and Greenhow are easily joined up as are Malham and Langcliffe Scar.

Then West Yorkshire has Shibden Wall and Halifax Lane virtually next door to each other. The North Yorks Moors group could probably be done in a couple of shortish rides as well.

PS - I keep chickening out of Langbar :lol:
  • mroli
    The only way that I will be able to do all of these in one year is by doing multiple hills on rides - so thanks for the tips. I have got a decent sized road map of the UK and I have put all the locations of the hills on there and then plot routes with mapmyride and export them to my Garmin.

The logistics are the hardest part I reckon - and London is a rubbish place to live to access all of these amazing climbs!
  • EX DH
    EX DH Posts: 194
    Langbar is a good one, done holme moss a couple of times this year, theres always cragg vale too, not particularly steep but it is the longest continuious climb in the uk. can add on buckstones edge as a loop too from where i live.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    mroli wrote:
    Bob - sounds like you need to buy the book! http://www.amazon.co.uk/100-Greatest-Cy ... 0711231206
    (also available from LOTS of other retailers!)

...and spend useful beer tokens on a book that probably lists 98 climbs in parts of the country I'm never likely to visit.
    Rolf F wrote:
    beverick wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Last week I did Buttertubs, Fleet Moss and Park Rash on one loop (plus you've got Oxnop Scar next to Buttertubs - you could do a nice little triple crossing of the Wensleydale:Swaledale watershed for that one!) - the Richmond Five Dales Sportive does The Stang, Tan Hill, Fleet Moss and Park Rash in one go.

Further South, Norwood Edge and Greenhow are easily joined up as are Malham and Langcliffe Scar.

Then West Yorkshire has Shibden Wall and Halifax Lane virtually next door to each other. The North Yorks Moors group could probably be done in a couple of shortish rides as well.

PS - I keep chickening out of Langbar :lol:

The initial royal wedding itinery was supposed to be from Grassington up Wharfedale to Buckden then via Kidstones into Wensleydale. From Wensleydale via Askrigg and Cross Top (?) to Muker in Swaledale before running back in via Buttertubs, Hawes, Fleet Moss and Langstrothdale via Buckden back into Grassington. I'd have needed a 5:30 start from home though so I wimped out!

Nor'd edge from Otley via the Washburn Valley is a favourite as is Greenhow (from the Grassington side). Someone else mentioned Buckstones which I like to do in summer(usually approached from Bradley/Ainley top but also via the 'long drag' over Scammonden viaduct) but it isn't as appealing as it used to be since the pub at the top of the valley closed five or six years ago.

Another favourite ride is Denby Dale, Holmfirth, Holme Moss, Woodhead and via Penistone back to Denby.

York to Helmsley is a fair challenge as is Thirsk to Helmsley and back (up Sutton Bank and down whiestone cliff) but the latter really needs to be done early morning to avoid heavy and fast traffic (it's a scary road at other times!).

Langbar's not too bad from Bolton Bridge (several of the climbs above are much worse) but it's a pig if you climb it out of Ilkley.

Least favourite climb in West Yorks is actually Timothy/Scotchman Lane between Batley and Morley or the adjacent climb up Soothlll Lane.

Bob
  • SickAsAParrot
    SickAsAParrot Posts: 212
    beverick wrote:
    Least favourite climb in West Yorks is actually Timothy/Scotchman Lane between Batley and Morley.

Yay! I used to steal balls from Howley Hall golf club when I was a wee nipper!
  • mroli
    beverick wrote:
    ...and spend useful beer tokens on a book that probably lists 98 climbs in parts of the country I'm never likely to visit.

17 climbs in Yorkshire, 7 in Debyshire :lol: - only 76 climbs in parts of the country you will never visit (if I have guessed your location correctly!)

Seriously though - because of the book, I have already been to one part of the country (South Wales/Valleys/Breacons) that I would not otherwise have visited and been completely blown away by it.
  • EX DH
    I go up batley field hill and scotsman lane everyday on my way to work, I have a love hate relationship with both hills(one 15% one 14%). went on a club run mid last year and went up a climb nicknamed crank snapper hill from other side of hebden bridge up to the wind mills over keighley, that is by far the hardest climb I've done. langbar from Bolton bridge end is quality! Love that one.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    EX DH wrote:
    I go up batley field hill and scotsman lane everyday on my way to work, I have a love hate relationship with both hills(one 15% one 14%). went on a club run mid last year and went up a climb nicknamed crank snapper hill from other side of hebden bridge up to the wind mills over keighley, that is by far the hardest climb I've done. langbar from Bolton bridge end is quality! Love that one.

Used to go to Batley High School myself. There are some fairly sharp little climbs all over the area, not particularly long but enough to get the blood pumping. Having said that, Scotchman lane goes on a bit from memory of grinding up there on the old steel racer back in my youth. Might take the bike back next time I go see my Mum.
  • EX DH
    Small world! Me too. You'll have to give us a shout when your up.
  • mroli
    Have chucked up a couple of video links - Jiggers Bank http://100hillsforgeorge.blogspot.com/2 ... 22411.html and the Burway http://100hillsforgeorge.blogspot.com/2 ... 22411.html.

Put them up in 2x speed - does this work, or should I put them up in real time (or even quicker?) You also lose sound - should I put in some music, or should I leave it clear?

Tips welcomed. Thank you

M
  • wicked
    Keep your head still! :lol:
  • mroli
    Yeah. I have consciously tried to do that on remaining videos - that and when I turn my head to look at something to try and keep it in that position for a period of time. It is bloody hard though!

I put the camera on the bars, but road vibration (and me rocking the bike in climbs) was too much and even worse.

These were the first two, wo I've tried to take on board my own observations!
  • cristoff
    cristoff Posts: 229
    I decided to try a 20%er last weekend, it is about a quarter mile and garmin maxed it at 23%. What i didnt know is that it went down to single track at the top and i was following 3 cars up with a 4x4 at the front which had met another car coming the other way so when i got round the tight left at the top i was met with 3 stationary cars. :oops:

Is there a tip for unclipping when a) you are barely living & b) going about 3mph?

I just managed to unclip before the bike tipped over and was able to plant my foot.

close call, nearly a scratched frame!