Best Road Bike Under £500

rob777
rob777 Posts: 48
edited May 2011 in Road beginners
Hi there,

I'm looking for a fast road bike for under £500.

As I am new to road biking and so I thought I'd get your valuable opinions.

Thank you so much.

Rob

Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    the new decathlon range looks good at this price point
  • dmont
    dmont Posts: 74
    How about a Carerra from Halfords ?

Halfords may be crap but the Carerra race bikes get a very good write up and comments on this forum ( I also have one, very good bike ) you can get one at approx £350 and this will give you money left over for kit..
    Riding - Voodoo Bantu
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    The Jamis Ventura seems to be getting good reviews, fair bit of kit for £449

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/jam ... e-ec025750
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    For that price, I would be looking at something secondhand. You can get some pretty good bikes at that price that way.
  • What size do you need? The specialized allez is a great bike and there are a few places with last years model on sale at 399. Absolute bargain
    Allez 16 - bad weather / turbo trainer
    Tarmac Expert SL3 - test colours
    Dogma 2 - ex Team Sky
  • Bill-87
    Bill-87 Posts: 155
    I don't necessarily agree with the "go for a second hand" bike, fair enough maybe some of them will be better specced but I went with personal preference. I went for a bike I liked the look of, it was down from £750 to what I think was £300, now I did choose it for price to start with but I liked the look aswell. If you have a frame that you like and never spent all that much then you've always got that room for improvement(and maybe some spare cash).

I'd check the classifieds on here if you want to go second hand, I always think it's better than ebay although there are bargains to be had.
  • taimur
    taimur Posts: 173
    Cannondale CAAD 8
    available with multiple vendors for well under 500. Dont think you will find a better option ;)
    1996 Cannondale M500 CAAD3 (Hardtail MTB)
    2007 Cannondale F700 CAAD
    2010 Cube Agree SL (Road, retired)
    2011 Cube Litening Super HPC DI2 Frame, with Ultegra Di2 Components
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    edited May 2011
    The Colnago Primavera on the classifieds here at the moment is a fine bike with good spec for £500 IMO if it is your size.

There are bargains to be had on eBay if you are patient enough - I try to look out for Buy It Now prices that I think are 'undercooked' rather than enter into auction bidding.

My best buys? A Specialized Roubaix for £430 (bought about 2 years ago now so was probably 2007 model) A carbon Isaac Pascal with 105 throughout, all immaculate for £400!! :D

Just bought a Kinesis Racelight, full Campag compact Veloce groupset and Fulcrum 5 wheels - all as new for £460. This was an auction but Kinesis not a fashionable name for those new to cycling (but a fine commuter/winter bike)

As far as a 'fast' road bike is concerned - it'll only be as fast as you can make it!! I am currently riding a Trek Madone 6.9, which most people would class as a 'fast' road bike, but unfortunately I find that when I hit the Peak District on a club run, I can still be dropped especially when climbing by riders on lesser bikes but who clearly have the legs that I don't :cry: It's not about the bike (but that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy my bike :D )
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    dmont wrote:
    How about a Carerra from Halfords ?

Halfords may be crap but the Carerra race bikes get a very good write up and comments on this forum ( I also have one, very good bike ) you can get one at approx £350 and this will give you money left over for kit..
    +1 the virtuosso i s the better than the tdf,

If i was buying a new bike though it would be the decathlon range as you get better spec for your money .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    I am going to be selling a second hand Carrera TDF ( 54 cm ish ) soon when i get a new bike on C2W if thats is of any interest ...
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Duffer
    Duffer Posts: 379
    I just bought this:

1252666911898-y1azy61spbhp-500-90-500-70.jpg

It's my first road bike. Not knowing anything about road cycling, i'm perhaps not the best to offer advice... But it gets good reviews, and i'm happy with it! Nice frame (important) but cheap gears (not important)

Slightly over budget at £550, but jolly nice!

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kona/honky-tonk-2010-road-bike-ec021789